Rawscripts Logo Notes

Ritchie Wilson

Aug 31, 2011, 4:18:59 PM8/31/11
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
Bill (and everyone),
Hope you don't mind, I'm just starting a new thread for this.

I'll throw down what I think about logo design, for what it's worth.

Simplicity -- The whole site is designed with simplicity in mind, and I think that's essential for a tool like this. Nothing too distracting from writing itself. Whatever the result, the logo should be simple enough to put on every page. So when actually writing, it should be put in the top left, next to the screenplay title, and fairly unobtrusive.

Graphics -- A typewriter would be cool. Or a typewriter connected to the internet! A stack of paper works. Or a single page that is clearly from a screenplay. I guess I don't know, but some icon would be good. The bit of observation I can add is that other screenwriting software seems to have icons that look like they're video editors. It would be best to stick with writing themes.

Fonts -- They're tricky. I agree, using Courier is the easiest way to the get the point across, and I like it. However, the licencing of the font I dislike, and other parts of the Rawscripts might run up against that later down the road. That's not hugely important for the logo, but still you might consider looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Mono_L and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeMono. If either of those are satisfactory to you, I would encourage using those.

Colors -- They site is mostly blue and grey because I wanted it to feel more like "get-shit-done-software," less like "hip-startup-webapp." So I'd prefer toolbars and menus stay grey. The blues were picked by a non-designer and can go. At this point, I think a good logo should dictate the color scheme of the rest of the site, and not the other way around.

RAW -- could focus on "Raw" in the logo, but, embarrassingly, it's just my initials.

.com -- The logo currently says Rawscripts.com, but from now on that should just be Rawscripts.

Formats -- Worth noting that there are actually a bunch of logos. Most pressing is the main logo, something in the top left of every page, and that should probably be the "Rawscripts" and a graphic. But there is also the favicon, 16px by 16px, I think. Then there are larger icons for bookmarks on smartphones ("apple-touch-icon") of various sizes between 57px square and 114px square. Then there is something similar for webapp stores like this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search?hl=en-US&q=screenplay. That's 96px square. So, work on what you want, but think about scalability.

Damn, I may have just raised more questions than I answered. But really, those are just my opinions, and this is no longer my software. It's open sourced, and it's your software too. So whatever you want to look at each time you login will be a great start.

I'll try to add some more guidance if you want, or keep asking questions,
Ritchie

Aug 31, 2011, 5:43:40 PM8/31/11
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bill and others,

My idea is:

1. Drop the .com

2. Center the RawScripts

3. Add a border, perhaps grey, but it might look to busy.

4. Move up the logo so it doesn't take up so much space, which would allow the Script Lists to also move up on the page.

That's about all.

Hope it helps and thanks for the help.

- John