remind me please - does RPP support linear DNG or not ?

DP

Dec 1, 2022, 9:36:32 PM12/1/22
to Raw Photo Processor
remind me please - does RPP support linear DNG or not ?

surely with the aim to do as much operations as possible ( WB, etc ) before demosaicking it probably ( ??? ) does not - but I failed to google the definitive answer (and I think I never checked in many years ago when I was using RPP for a while )

PS1: it will be nice if it does - so that optics correction can be dealt with by either Iridient *-Transformers using camera manufacturer's optics correction data aleady embedded in raw files or DxO tools using their own profiles for those who are willing for forfeit all that predemosaicking bonus in exchange for that optics correction

PS2: as a Windows user I do not have my OSX/VmWare VM running for a long-long while so I can't check it myself, sorry

thank you !

RPP

Dec 2, 2022, 11:58:29 AM12/2/22
to Raw Photo Processor
Linear DNG should work.

Regards,
Andrey

Kirk Thibault

Dec 2, 2022, 12:25:02 PM12/2/22
to Raw Photo Processor
It works with a Leica SL2 file processed in DxO PL5 and exported as a (linear) DNG from DxO.

Kirk

DP N/A

Dec 2, 2022, 1:43:07 PM12/2/22
to raw-photo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, that is the most definitive answer you can get !

Colin Czerwinski

Oct 12, 2023, 12:11:37 PM10/12/23
to Raw Photo Processor
Hey Kirk,

I am wondering if DxO is able to batch process lens profile correction. I'm also curious about what your workflow is for working with RPP. I am a new user coming from Lightroom, and also using a Leica Q with DNG files. I am having trouble establishing a workflow to also correct lens profile distortions. I appreciate any insight you can share with me.

Colin

Kirk Thibault

Oct 12, 2023, 5:47:42 PM10/12/23
to Raw Photo Processor
Hi Colin - I just loaded a Leica SL2 image into DxO PL7. DxO applies the lens module for the SL2+Sigma 85 Art DG DN lens that the image was shot with -I just exported the file as a DNG with noise and optical corrections only (this will remove all of the automatic or manually applied tone and color adjustments, etc.).  DxO exports linearized DNGs so that things like optical corrections and noise reduction can be applied to DxO and then further processed as a raw file (albeit demosaiced) in other raw converters.

So that’s the workflow for a batch -if you have already done editing in DxO that you line (including color and tone, etc.) and you want to export a DNG version for RPP that only has noise reduction and optical corrections applied, you can specify this in the export dialog box (DNG - Denoise & Optical Corrections only).  That way you do not have to undo your DxO adjustments or create virtual copies and remove all of their corrections except optical correction.

Exporting a linear DNG will remove the Demosaic options in RPP, because the file has already be demosaiced.

Kirk

DP N/A

Oct 13, 2023, 8:28:22 AM10/13/23
to raw-photo...@googlegroups.com
be aware that DxO PL even as of v7.0.1 still have a bug where they generate linear DNGs with demosaicked data scaling ( at least for some camera models ) not matching WhiteLevel tag they write in DNG ... this may or may not affect RPP - but it affects ACR/LR ( = magenta sky effect when pulling brightness, because the gap between max value in raw data and  WhiteLevel tag is so big that ACR/LR does not detect clipping in linear DNG and does prevent magenta as a result) ... not to mention some other oddities in how DxO works with DNGs