News on Linux support ?

Dan Partelly

Nov 22, 2018, 3:55:51 AM11/22/18
to Ravenports

  Hi John,

do you have any news on fixing pkg for Linux ? Given the time which passed since Ravenports is almost unusable on Linux, I have to ask if you still intend to support Linux, or you can't take ownership for the pkg bugs on this platform and make Ravenports viable ? I would like to know what are your plans and if possible a rough timeframe, if you are willing to give an answer.  I would like to use Ravenports on Linux and try to convince it to build out of kernel tree components such ZFS / ZFS tools and patched kernels and install the minimal root with Ravenports + scripts but the pkg adventure is a dealbreaker. The reason I ask is to see if I should stick with Raven or look at more classical alternatives .

Thanks

John Marino

Dec 5, 2018, 12:59:43 PM12/5/18
to Ravenports
So the plan was two-fold:
A) fix the actual bugs in pkg (a project I don't own)
B) create a second repository for new ABI linux (e.g. fix arch)

I've found myself struggling for time so I haven't had a chance to address anything.

I've also started to consider another option -- to add "apt" support to ravenports so there's an option to use that package manager.  I haven't investigated what is needed to add this support, but it might be an attractive alternative, especially since, you know, it actually works.