Re: [RavenDB] RavenDb 6 community license 12 static indexes limitation

David Baruc

Oct 3, 2023, 4:21:52 PM10/3/23
to vale...@gmail.com, sales, rav...@googlegroups.com

Hi Valerio,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns regarding the new release of RavenDB version 6.0 Community Edition. Your input is highly valuable to us, and we want to address your concerns about the limitations on static indexes.

RavenDB is intentionally designed to serve a wide range of use cases, from small community projects to large-scale enterprise applications. We understand that the restriction of 12 static indexes may not align with the needs of all users, particularly those working on larger projects where additional indexes are necessary to optimize performance and functionality. To answer to such requirements, we offer more suitable options, such as RavenDB Professional and RavenDB Enterprise.

It's essential to note that the Community Edition is intended to provide a free solution primarily for smaller projects and personal use. In contrast, RavenDB Professional and RavenDB Enterprise licenses offer a broader set of capabilities, including the ability to create additional indexes and additional valuable capabilities, making them better suited for scenarios demanding more extensive features and scalability.

We want to assure you that we continuously assess and enhance our licensing terms and product offerings to ensure we deliver an exceptional solution to our valued customers. Your feedback plays a pivotal role in this process, and we will certainly take it into consideration as we make future decisions regarding licensing and feature offerings.

We genuinely appreciate your support, and we encourage you to explore RavenDB further, considering the licensing option that best aligns with your specific project requirements. If you have any more questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out. We are committed to improving our offerings based on user feedback.

Best regards,

DAVID BARUC
Chief Revenue Officer

On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 3:02 PM Valeriob <vale...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I just tested the new release of ravendb 6 and got really surprised to see that the import of a simple database failed, then I saw the limitation of the community license to 12 static indexes.
I think it's quite strong to put so many limitations to the community license, I for instance will not be able to use it in any project anymore, is there any chance that this limitation can be relaxed ?
I think that limiting the "enterprisey" features can be a good trade off, but limiting indexes or sorters it's an auto goal, when you start a project you can't know in advance how many indexes or sorter are going to be needed, so you can't choose ravendb anymore.

Thanks
Valerio