CentOS 6.5: configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required

dokondr

Apr 3, 2014, 6:44:15 AM4/3/14
to rattle...@googlegroups.com
I am running CentOS 6.5,  kernel2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP
Notwithstanding I have latest GTK installed,  when trying to install Rattle I get `configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required` (see below).
How to solve this?

R version 3.0.2 (2013-09-25) -- "Frisbee Sailing"
Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)

> library(rattle)
Rattle: A free graphical interface for data mining with R.
Version 3.0.4 r177 Copyright (c) 2006-2014 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
> rattle()
The package 'RGtk2' is required to display the Rattle GUI. It does not
appear to be installed. This package (and its dependencies) can be
installed using the following R command:

install.packages('RGtk2')

This one-time install will allow access to the full functionality of
Rattle.

Would you like Rattle to install the package now? (yes/NO) yes
Installing package into ‘/usr/lib64/R/library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2785305 bytes (2.7 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 2.7 Mb

* installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...
** package ‘RGtk2’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking for INTROSPECTION... no
checking for GTK... no
configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’
* removing ‘/usr/lib64/R/library/RGtk2’

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/tmp/RtmpJWMH35/downloaded_packages’
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Making 'packages.html' ... done
Error in rattle() : could not find function "gtkBuilderNew"
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In install.packages(pkg) :
  installation of package ‘RGtk2’ had non-zero exit status
2: In library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE,  :
  there is no package called ‘RGtk2’

Graham Williams

Apr 3, 2014, 8:49:15 PM4/3/14
to rattle-users
As per the troubleshooting guide at http://rattle.togaware.com/rattle-install-troubleshooting.html

GNU/Linux: configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required

This error occurs when attempting to install the RGtk2 package. The install is looking for the header files for GTK. Possibly they are not yet installed on your operating system. For Ubuntu and Debian, this is easily solved:
$ wajig install libgtk2.0-dev

There might be a Centos package you need to install (and it might even have the same name as in Ubuntu?) - let me know and I'll update the troubleshooting page.

Graham Williams

dokondr

Apr 4, 2014, 3:20:59 AM4/4/14
to rattle...@googlegroups.com
I have some progress. To install libgtk2.0-dev in CentOS one have to do the following:

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
yum install gtk+-devel gtk2-devel

This solves libgtk2.0-dev problem. Yet, when starting Rattle I get the following error:

> rattle()
Error: attempt to apply non-function
In addition: Warning message:
In method(obj, ...) : Unknown internal child: selection

Any ideas?

dokondr

Apr 4, 2014, 3:33:31 AM4/4/14
to rattle...@googlegroups.com
Fortunately, I have remembered this is the same old problem that I had with Rattle about year ago om Mac OSX. And I found my own solution to it, that I have posted to this list at that time:

> library(rattle)
Rattle: A free graphical interface for data mining with R.
Version 2.6.26 r55 Copyright (c) 2006-2013 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
> crv$rattleUI <- "rattle_macosx.ui"
> rattle()

Quite a long time passed since this problem surfaced and latest Rattle code still has no more convenient solution then that?

Graham Williams

Apr 4, 2014, 3:59:54 PM4/4/14
to rattle-users
Thanks for the error reports.

The work around you suggest probably indicates R is finding an older version of Gtk+ - rattle_macosx.ui is a snapshot of an older version of the GUI file and uses some deprecated (i.e., very old) Gtk+ features and hence the work around for systems with old versoins of Gtk+ installed. Can you upgrade your version of Gtk+ on CentOS? Also make sure you are using the latest version of Rattle. CentOS is not a system I test on, but the recent round of testing assured that Rattle Version 3.0.4 (r177) works out of the box on Ubuntu (the Gold Standard), Windows and Mac OS/X.

Graham Williams