LessWrong Community Weekend 2020 Announcement

LessWrong Community Weekend

Feb 11, 2020, 1:20:49 AM2/11/20
to Практическая рациональность в Москве

Hereby we happily announce the LessWrong Community Weekend 2020!

Regular attendees can skip to the end for the TLDR and signup details. If it’s your first time, here’s what you can expect when you attend Europe’s largest annual Rationalist social gathering.

From  11th-14th September aspiring rationalists from across Europe and further afield will gather for 4 days of socializing, fun and intellectual exploration. There will be scheduled talks, but the majority of the content will be unconference style and participant driven.

On Friday afternoon we put up four wall-sized daily planners and by Saturday morning the attendees fill them up with 50+ workshops, talks and activities of their own devising. Here’s a sampling of activities based on previous years…

  • Icebreaker games

  • How to run a rationality dojo

  • Intro to game theory

  • The double-crux game

  • Effective Altruism project planning

  • Community building and community health discussions

  • Liberating Structures exercises

  • Comfort zone exploration workshop

  • Circling: authentic relating exercises

  • (Moral) Philosophy discussions

  • Board games

  • Midnight swimming

  • Dancing, song writing, music jamming

  • Improv theatre lessons

  • Polyamory and relationships workshops

  • Reading/ Writing/ Book clubbing

  • Giant penultima chess

  • Acroyoga

  • Morning meditation sessions in the winter garden

  • ...

Aside from all the amazing content the attendees organize, it’s the serendipitous encounters, shared meals, late night discussions and new friendships that really make the event. We usually get more applications than we have spaces so attendees are selected based on their shared interests (like Rationality, EA and Transhumanism), attitudes and contribution ideas - with a focus on bringing together like-minded people and creating an event that feels safe and welcoming for both previous attendees and newcomers.

And of course if you want to spend some time relaxing and recharging on your own you can hike in the forests, sunbathe or stroll lazily along the banks of Lake Wannsee whenever you like. The venue for the event, Wannsee youth hostel, is nestled amongst the beautiful lakes and forests of South West Berlin and provides shared accommodation, a canteen, a selection of large and small seminar rooms and plenty of comfortable spaces inside and out for us to use as we please.

This is our 7th year and we feel that the atmosphere and sense of community at these weekends is something that’s really special. If that sounds like something you would enjoy and you have some exciting ideas or skills to contribute do come along and get involved.

Tickets

(All tickets include 3 nights accommodation and vegan or vegetarian meals. Full refund until 1st of May. Contact us if you have any issues, including if you cannot afford the full price.)

1x Main Organizer 2021 Ticket: 0€
The yearly gathering is invaluable for the rationality community in Europe. However, each year the main organizer’s position needs to be settled. The job mostly consists of remote project management: 1. Make it happen, 2. Make it financially sustainable, 3. Make it great.
If you commit to taking over this responsibility for next year, we will be happy to guide you and teach you everything that you need to know.
If you’re interested send us an email: lwcw....@gmail.com (with Main Organizer in the subject)

7x Volunteer Ticket: 120€

Support the event on the ground and get a discount. Among the things are setting up the place the day before, wrapping things up at the end, regular snack table refilling, occasional cleanup...

If you’re interested send us an email: lwcw....@gmail.com (with Volunteer in the subject)

50x Early Bird Ticket: 175€ (until May 1st)

Simple application + lenient selection

Save your spot right away: http://tiny.cc/lwcw2020_early_bird

Bayesian Conspirator Ticket: 300/400€

If you can afford to pay more, the additional finances will be greatly appreciated and used to improve this year’s event by e.g., allowing people with more constrained finances to attend, increasing the size of the cuddle fort and increasing the variety of snacks.

Support us right here:  http://tiny.cc/lwcw2020_early_bird

Regular Ticket: 175€ (available from May 1st)

Apply with your ideas for contribution. Demand for the remaining tickets determines how easy it is to get in.

Sign up for a reminder here so you don’t miss the opportunity: tiny.cc/lwcw2020_newsletter

Financial Support Ticket: ?€

If you cannot afford to pay the full price because you are financially constrained feel free to contact us and we will try to make something work. Consider bringing awesome content or being a volunteer at the event.

Contact us here: lwcw....@gmail.com (with Financial Support in the subject)

TLDR

When? Friday September 11th – Monday September 14th 2020

Where? jh-wannsee.de, Berlin

Tickets: Early Bird -- 175€ -- tiny.cc/lwcw2020_early_bird

Supporter Ticket -- 300/400€ -- tiny.cc/lwcw2020_early_bird

Custom: Main Organizer 2021 -- 0€ -- lwcw....@gmail.com

Volunteer Ticket -- 120€ -- lwcw....@gmail.com

Financial Support -- ?€ -- lwcw....@gmail.com

Get Reminded Later:

Regular -- 175€ -- tiny.cc/lwcw2020_newsletter

If you have any questions, please email us at lwcw....@gmail.com.

Looking forward to a great weekend,

The Community Weekend organizers and LessWrong Deutschland e.V.