March 10, Sunday 2pm-6pm Less Wrong/ ACX meetup

Timothy Underwood

Mar 3, 2024, 10:00:01 AMMar 3
to rationalit...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

It is time for the next of our not quite monthly meetups.

March 10, Sunday, 2pm
66/b/1 Ulloi Ut
Floor 6, door 3
Ring 27

We'll meet at my apartment again -- but I think after this one, we will probably try meeting outdoors, likely at Museum Kert for the spring/ summer.

The plan is to maximize argument, by having everyone describe a pet economic theory or economic idea that they would like more people to understand or believe in. We are hoping that the Marxist in our midst appears to explain how there is nothing for us to lose but our chains, but even if he cannot make it, I am sure we will find ample cause for spirited disagreement.

My plan is to give anyone who wants to talk 7 minutes to explain their idea, that will be followed by fifteen minutes of discussion. After that we would move onto the next person. If we have any time at the end, we'll let everyone argue as they will -- possibly splitting up into smaller groups so that people can discuss at length the specific thing they are interested in.

I know this is a sort of silly topic, but I bet we'll have fun.

Two suggested readings from our organizer that have influenced how he thinks about politics are:

Yudkowski's famed claiming that politics is the mind killer:

And a favorite early slate star codex post from 2014, the main thing I got from it that has deeply influenced my thinking is the idea that we have a general feeling of positiveness or negativeness towards concept clusters, and that a lot of arguments are mainly about trying to attach good karma things to our preferred concept cluster, and bad karma things to the opposed karma cluster (and stopping the person we are arguing with from doing this for their clusters).

Timothy Underwood

M. P. D.

Mar 3, 2024, 10:30:31 AMMar 3
to rationalit...@googlegroups.com
Maybe see also this, about our favorite topic: the AI!

https://www.theintrinsicperspective.com/p/here-lies-the-internet-murdered-by