Two Free Statistics Texts

Bryan Hanson

Jan 7, 2014, 2:56:31 PM1/7/14
to rat...@googlegroups.com
Some light reading while you are stuck inside!

The first of these has been available for a while. It's huge and very comprehensive. Almost all theory, very little coding. It can be downloaded here: http://statweb.stanford.edu/~tibs/ElemStatLearn/

Now some of the same authors have have joined with others to release an introductory version, only 441 pages! Much more applied, some code in 'lab exercise' sections which uses R. This one can be had at http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~gareth/ISL/index.html

You might grab these while they are available for possible use later.

Stay warm. Bryan

Suman Balasubramanian

Jan 7, 2014, 2:57:40 PM1/7/14
to rat...@googlegroups.com
Are you still stuck in 'Castle Mr. Bryan?

Suman Balasubramanian
Department of Mathematics
DePauw University
602 S. College Avenue
Greencastle, IN 46135

Phone (765) 658-6536
Fax (765) 658-6084

email sumanbalas...@depauw.edu

webpage academic.depauw.edu/~sumanbalasubramanian

Bryan Hanson

Jan 7, 2014, 3:06:13 PM1/7/14
to rat...@googlegroups.com
Worse.  Trip totally cancelled.  Our flights were cancelled once, then again, and then the only flights available for such a large group were 8 days after we were scheduled to leave.  Combined with the complications that created in Costa Rica, we decided to admit defeat and cancel the course.  Quite disappointing, but we were up against forces of evil, or cold.  I was happy not to get stuck part way there, as some trips did.  Who wants to kill time in Houston?

David Harvey

Jan 7, 2014, 3:16:46 PM1/7/14
to rat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan

Thanks for the links. Sorry to hear your trip was canceled. Hope to be in the office tomorrow at some point.

David

Sent from my iPhone.

Kerry Pannell

Jan 7, 2014, 4:48:31 PM1/7/14
to rat...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

Thanks for these--they look like very good references, and you can't beat the price!

Sorry that you are not getting to teach in Costa Rica for WT--it's one of those trips that makes me wish I were a student!
Kerry

Kerry Pannell, PhD
QG Noblitt Professor of Economics and Management (on leave)
DePauw University
Greencastle, IN 46135