Using a wifi antenna with raspberry shake

Esther

Jan 2, 2019, 6:56:20 PM1/2/19
to RaspberryShake
Can anyone explain how to connect to the Shake if I can't have a hardwire ethernet connection?  Can I use a wifi dongle to my home network?  How?

David J Taylor

Jan 3, 2019, 3:53:55 AM1/3/19
to Raspberry Shake group, sats...@gmail.com
From: Esther

Can anyone explain how to connect to the Shake if I can't have a hardwire
ethernet connection? Can I use a wifi dongle to my home network? How?

Esther,

You could simply enable the Wi-Fi and connect that way. All recent
Raspberry Pi cards have Wi-Fi built in. You should find plenty of tutorials
on the Internet.

However, I found that Wi-Fi wasn't reliable enough in the remote location I
had my RPi, so I ended up using Powerline Ethernet (yuck for all the RF
interference that can cause!) but it provides a good enough connection.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/XAVB5221.aspx

At one stage it wasn't recommended to use Wi-Fi for the Shake, but I don't
know if that's still the current thinking.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-...@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Ian Nesbitt

Jan 3, 2019, 10:59:29 AM1/3/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi Esther,

You may use a WiFi dongle to connect to your home network. Instructions to do so are here: https://manual.raspberryshake.org/wifi.html

We don't recommend using the Pi's built-in WiFi because it tends to cause electrical noise. Dongles tend to work just fine however. As long as you have a dongle that is known to work with the Pi, you should be good to go.

Ian

Esther

May 12, 2019, 11:01:27 PM5/12/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi Ian - I did use a wifi dongle, but I am confused about how to make sure the device is using the dongle rather than the internal wifi.  Is there a way to test that?  I went through the setup procedure for the dongle from those instructions you posted and it all went fine.  The device is definitely communicating over wifi, I just want to make sure it is in fact using the dongle antenna. Thank you!