Technical specifications for remote installation

Shankho

Mar 28, 2019, 6:08:35 PM3/28/19
to RaspberryShake
Hello everyone

My name is Shankho Niyogi. I am a graduate student working on episodic tremor events. I recently learned about Raspberry Shake and I am interested to find their application in my research. I am seeking some advice regarding technical specifications for remote installation of Raspberry Shake 3D, preferably 2-3 for months. This is a probable list that I have compiled for powering the RShake and GPS unit,

1. 160 W 12 V solar panel
2. 12V 65 Ah Lead Acid battery
3. Solar charger regulator (L60A USB MPPT Solar Panel Regulators Controllers 12V 24V+2X Power Connector MT)

My question is this that are these enough for sustaining continuous recording for 2-3 months in an area such as Southern California where insolation is above average? I am afraid I have absolutely no idea regarding this.

Also a rough estimate of the power drain and memory consumption of RShake 3D, say, on a daily basis, while continuously recording would be welcome.

Thanks

Shankho Niyogi

Graduate student
Department of Earth Sciences. University of California, Riverside.
alt. email: shankh...@gmail.com

Eddy

Mar 29, 2019, 6:36:26 AM3/29/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi Shankho,

maybe this information would help?  It is from the RS Manual with 2 examples of solar set up.

https://manual.raspberryshake.org/solar.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eddy

Ian Nesbitt

Apr 1, 2019, 1:28:23 PM4/1/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi Shankho,

I have a wattage meter arriving Wednesday for my RS3D so hopefully I'll be able to tell you the power demands later this week. Consumption by my device will likely be slightly higher than yours since mine is internet connected and sends data out as UDP packets and I'm assuming your remote installation will not.

Ian

Shankho

Apr 3, 2019, 6:09:00 PM4/3/19
to RaspberryShake
Hello Eddy

Thank you for your reply. I have seen that setup and most of the items are similar to that only. However I need more information regarding the sustenance of the batteries and duration of the recording. Unfortunately, that is not mentioned in that page or in the parent URL.

Shankho

Apr 3, 2019, 6:14:18 PM4/3/19
to RaspberryShake
Hello Ian

Yes, mine will not be connected to the internet so it will be a bit less, still the numbers will be helpful for calculation of the days it can be left unsupervised though. Thank you for your response, please do let me know.

Shankho

Ian Nesbitt

Apr 3, 2019, 10:29:18 PM4/3/19
to RaspberryShake
Hi Shankho,

I'm happy to help, I think it could be useful for others in the future as well. I plugged in the wattmeter at 02:00 2018-04-04 UTC so I'll try see what it says tomorrow and the next day around this time.

Ian

Paweł Wiejacz

Apr 4, 2019, 1:15:29 AM4/4/19
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I guess nobody can tell for sure. The raspberryshake consumes little power, the GPS unit *usually* is also not much power-consuming.
The solar panel is nominally 160 W, but usually this is overestimated by the manufacturer and you never install the panel in such way as to get full power from it. Then the panel works about half of the time and it is not so simple to say this would be equivalent to 80 W continuous working. Charging the batteries never comes with 100% effectiveness. With the passing of time, dust gathering on the panels will also limit their power, unless you get them cleaned from time to time. (Luckily, your installation is not on seacoast and you don't have to worry about seagulls that can render the solar panel installation useless within a few weeks...)

Nevertheless, you should have enough surplus power in your installation to allow the thing work.

Pawel (R9F13)

--
Some useful links:

Manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/
Do It YourSelf Page: http://raspberryshake.org/do-it-yourself
Shop: https://shop.raspberryshake.org/
Website: http://raspberryshake.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raspishake/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raspishake/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/raspishake/
Hashtag: #rasperryshake, @raspishake
DOI: https://doi.org/10.7914/SN/AM
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/raspberryshake/f49347ad-2c84-4ec8-bf1d-f6ca00095e6c%40googlegroups.com.

James Skinner

Apr 4, 2019, 1:34:42 AM4/4/19
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
- Shankho -

Your solar arrangement seems pretty adequate to me other than that I think you will be much better off
by adding a second 12 V 65 A/H battery in parallel so you have ≈ 130 A/H capacity for the system.  The
MPPT charge controller is the best bet good choice.

Jim, K6BPT (R4F29) Tucson, Arizona

Ian Nesbitt

Apr 7, 2019, 12:33:27 AM4/7/19
to RaspberryShake
Shankho,

According to the wattmeter, over the course of 72 hours my RS3D consumed 0.14 KWh of energy. I can check back in with it periodically to see if that holds up.

Ian

Shankho

Apr 12, 2019, 4:30:21 PM4/12/19
to RaspberryShake
Thank you Ian. I will let you know how my setup goes and once I have a robust system setup I will update here regarding the time and battery specifications.

Shankho