after 4 hours my new shake still says Server Connection:Not Connected

Clyde

Apr 22, 2019, 5:35:59 PM4/22/19
to RaspberryShake
I set up my Raspberry Shake this morning and followed the directions given in the quick start guide.  After 4 hours and 2 reboots the home page still says Server Connection: Not Connected; it's not showing up the Station View either.

It has an IP address, Data Producer: ON, Data Consumer: ON, Data Forwarding: ON, Server Connection: Not Connected.  The shake is running version 0.15.

$netstat -tupl shows that it hasn't established any outside connections; all connections are local only.

A cat of syslog shows a number of errors being thrown by docker.  I only know what docker is but that's all; maybe those errors are normal and maybe they're not.

The attached ZIP file contains all of the downloaded log files as well as output from the ps command, netstat command, and a cat of the syslog.

I'm looking forward to seeing this thing run.

--Clyde

R6AD3logs.zip

richard boaz

Apr 22, 2019, 6:00:09 PM4/22/19
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
hello,

thanks for the logs, they are invaluable...

reading them, i see in odf_SL_plugin.info that a connection request is being made to the server, but this request times out.  in most cases, this is due to router permissions not allowing traffic through the necessary ports, (in this case, 55555 and 55556).  this is mostly seen when connecting to a LAN that is controlled by others, e.g., at a university.  home routers, meanwhile, do not typically come with such restrictions defined as default.

please confirm that all routers between the shake and the WAN / internet are permissioned to allow TCP traffic on these ports.  more detailed information can be found here.

cheers, hope this helps,
richard

--
Some useful links:

Manual: http://manual.raspberryshake.org/
Do It YourSelf Page: http://raspberryshake.org/do-it-yourself
Shop: https://shop.raspberryshake.org/
Website: http://raspberryshake.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raspishake/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raspishake/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/raspishake/
Hashtag: #rasperryshake, @raspishake
DOI: https://doi.org/10.7914/SN/AM
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RaspberryShake" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/raspberryshake.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/raspberryshake/92461538-8549-471d-9af2-a1cdcbabfcd5%40googlegroups.com.

hoadley515

Apr 22, 2019, 7:33:23 PM4/22/19
to raspber...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, looks like the Comcast router classified those ports as
peer-to-peer and had them blocked.
Its configuration options are rather limited. The only way to open
those ports without turning the firewall off was to use its DMZ
feature. The RS is now in the DMZ and exposing all ports (not quite
what I wanted,) but we'll see. I haven't scanned it with nmap yet.

The shake is reporting as connected now.

Thanks!
--Clyude
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/raspberryshake/CABs%3Dv9DK4phAp8qMMrx51SxNQ4qDSpuztEFDACjDm9ucmJVFHw%40mail.gmail.com.

Clyde Hoadley
Just a guy with a camera and a motorcycle
http://www.ClydeHoadley.com
(720) 232-4737