Sharing a tool built with Rasdaman: Historical Sea Ice Atlas of Alaska + The Arctic

Bruce Crevensten

Aug 8, 2021, 6:01:39 PMAug 8
to rasdaman-users

Hello Rasdaman community, we wanted to share a project, the Historical Sea Ice Atlas for Alaska & the Arctic, which we completed earlier this year.  It’s our first time using Rasdaman in a production environment, and we’re using it to deliver visualizations of long-term (1850-2017) Arctic sea ice conditions.

https://www.snap.uaf.edu/tools/sea-ice-atlas

What made Rasdaman a great fit for us for this project (and more to come!) included:

  • Easy to query to get time series data for points to drive visualizations
  • Very easy setup to get a WMS-T to show web maps for the whole temporal scope of the Atlas
  • Good documentation regarding data ingest and configuration
  • Good performance!

We also use GeoServer and have used PostGIS Raster, but neither solution worked as well for us for the types of data we’re usually working with.  GeoServer supports WMS-T but the configuration was challenging for us, and it didn’t provide the low-friction time series data queries via WCS that we get with Rasdaman’s capabilities.  PostGIS Raster also had a difficult (for us) data import story, the query syntax felt less natural to us, and we didn’t understand how to configure a WMS against that datastore.

For us, Rasdaman is doing an excellent job filling a very particular role that is important for our team.  We included the recommended citation for the Rasdaman DOI in the credits section of this app (in the footer!).

We’re already hard at work building a number of new applications against more complex datasets (multidimensional time series for future climate model projections).

Thank you all very much for this amazing tool!

Peter Baumann

Aug 9, 2021, 4:32:00 AMAug 9
to rasdama...@googlegroups.com
wow - that is sooo awesome, from all aspects: technically, contents, and even aesthetics - simply beautiful!

Thanks a lot for sharing this great piece of work, Bruce! Such successes are definitely a nice stimulus for the rasdaman team altogether. Any insights on rasdaman, please don't hesitate to share so that we can improve even further where necessary.

Keep up up your great work,
Peter

Dr. Peter Baumann
   https://rasdaman.com, mail: bau...@rasdaman.com
   https://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
   mail: p.ba...@jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
"A brilliant idea is a job halfdone."
OpenPGP_signature