what is going on?

Val K

Aug 16, 2018, 5:00:47 PM8/16/18
to RapydScript
Hi, Alexander!
 do you still maintain the project?

Alexander Tsepkov

Aug 16, 2018, 9:37:59 PM8/16/18
to valq...@gmail.com, RapydScript
Sort of, I use it in my own scripts because it's cleaner to code in than JavaScript and I still enjoy the syntax. But I'll admit that I no longer have the time to update it to the latest standards (ES5 support should probably be dropped altogether in favor of using Babel to do the work). If someone else wants to take the project over, I'm more than happy to give you admin access. There is another project I started on the side for type/state tracking (like TypeScript) called Interstate, and I have more recent code on my secondary laptop than the one in the repo (https://github.com/atsepkov/Interstate) which uses promises to go back and resolve types it may not be aware of at the time of original parsing. I wanted to eventually merge Interstate into the same project but last year I've taken more than I can chew with regular work and haven't had the time to do so.

Bruce Sherwood

Aug 16, 2018, 11:06:18 PM8/16/18
to Alexander Tsepkov, valq...@gmail.com, RapydScript
In my glowscript.org project I use RapydScript-NG (https://github.com/kovidgoyal/rapydscript-ng), which is based on Alex's work and is being well maintained. It is particularly well suited to my particular needs because it stays very close to standard Python and also has good  support for in-browser compilation of Python to JavaScript.

Bruce Sherwood

Val K

Aug 17, 2018, 5:11:18 AM8/17/18
to RapydScript
RapydScript-NG is very cool, but >3000 lines of base_lib make it unsuitable for writing small scripts

Alexander Tsepkov

Aug 17, 2018, 9:42:51 AM8/17/18
to valq...@gmail.com, RapydScript
Right, NG stays more true to Python, but the original goal of the language was being lightweight, which is why I myself don't use NG either.

Ivan Florentin

Sep 12, 2018, 10:44:14 PM9/12/18
to RapydScript
I moved to  nim-lang compiling to js. The advantage is that i can use the same code and libraries in the browser, compiled to js and in the server, compiled to native byte code.
Coming from python it feels very natural but over time the code tends to be more compact and readable.