Click to Call

John Britton

Mar 7, 2011, 3:26:17 PM3/7/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com
I'm really interested in building a click to call raplet, any ideas on ways to get access to a phone number for rapportive contacts? Even if Facebook/LinkedIn/Other friendship is required to access it I think it would be really handy to be able to trigger a call from rapportive.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
John Britton
--
contact info:
http://www.johndbritton.com

Martin Kleppmann

Mar 8, 2011, 2:20:45 PM3/8/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com, John Britton
Hi John,

Agree, click-to-call would be awesome. We're actually launching Google
Contacts integration into private beta this week, which includes
pulling phone numbers out of Google Contacts and showing them in the
sidebar (we only show them to the owner of the address book, of
course).

We won't be passing phone numbers to Raplets by default, but in a case
like yours it would make a lot of sense. I'd like to work out a
protocol for Raplets to request different contact fields (other than
the current default email address, name and Twitter username).

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Kleppmann
Co-founder, Rapportive

Nate Benes

Mar 8, 2011, 2:29:19 PM3/8/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com, Martin Kleppmann, John Britton
What about OAuth?  Its the standard for stuff like that.  The app would request the "scope" it needed.  Then you'd present the end user with "Allow AwesomeApp to access field1, field2, field3. yes/no".  It would be an all or nothing choice.  "The app needs these permissions to function, knowing that, will you install it?".

Nate

Martin Kleppmann

Mar 9, 2011, 6:02:41 PM3/9/11
to Nate Benes, raple...@googlegroups.com, John Britton
Hi Nate,

Yes, OAuth is one way we could go — although it's more geared towards
situations where the requests are initiated by the client application.
In our case Raplet requests are initiated by Rapportive itself, so the
same protocol may not apply.

We're already using OAuth the other way round — for Rapportive to
request access to a Raplet.

Martin

--
Martin Kleppmann
Co-founder, Rapportive

nate...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2011, 6:48:15 PM3/9/11
to Martin Kleppmann, raple...@googlegroups.com, John Britton
Yeah. The client would be the raplet addin. The RP would be the raplet server.

Sent from the Verizon network using Mobile Email