Sidebar overriding with Twitter handle?

Arik Fraimovich

Feb 12, 2011, 4:37:47 AM2/12/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com
I went over the new documentation and saw that you added an option to override the sidebar using an email address. Can you add an option to override the sidebar using a Twitter handle? For the notifications I send I only have the user's Twitter handle, and it will be great to better integrate with Rapportive.

Also, you should warn developers to take into account that with this method they reveal their users' email addresses. In some cases it might not be accepted. While it is obvious, some might overlook it.

Thanks !
Arik

Martin Kleppmann

Feb 13, 2011, 1:06:45 AM2/13/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arik,

On 12 February 2011 01:37, Arik Fraimovich <ar...@arikfr.com> wrote:
> I went over the new documentation and saw that you added an option to
> override the sidebar using an email address. Can you add an option to
> override the sidebar using a Twitter handle?

Good idea — that shouldn't be too hard. I'll look into adding that.

> Also, you should warn developers to take into account that with this method
> they reveal their users' email addresses. In some cases it might not be
> accepted. While it is obvious, some might overlook it.

Also good point — I've added a paragraph to the docs. We are also thinking about letting you specify a MD5 hash of an email address, instead of the plaintext email address (like Gravatar); would that be better?

Thanks for your feedback!

Best,
Martin

Arik Fraimovich

Feb 13, 2011, 1:18:44 AM2/13/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Martin Kleppmann <mar...@rapportive.com> wrote:
>> I went over the new documentation and saw that you added an option to
>> override the sidebar using an email address. Can you add an option to
>> override the sidebar using a Twitter handle?
> Good idea — that shouldn't be too hard. I'll look into adding that.

Looking forward :)

>>> Also, you should warn developers to take into account that with this
>> method
>> they reveal their users' email addresses. In some cases it might not be
>> accepted. While it is obvious, some might overlook it.
>
> Also good point — I've added a paragraph to the docs. We are also thinking
> about letting you specify a MD5 hash of an email address, instead of the
> plaintext email address (like Gravatar); would that be better?

I thought about the MD5 solution too, but I think it doesn't really
help, because in the sidebar details you still show that email address
as part of the profile. In theory, you can hide it in case it was
passed through MD5. But I think that it will be simpler to all, if the
email won't be passed in case there might be an issue of privacy.

Arik

Sam Stokes

Feb 13, 2011, 2:48:23 PM2/13/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com
> I thought about the MD5 solution too, but I think it doesn't really
> help, because in the sidebar details you still show that email address
> as part of the profile. In theory, you can hide it in case it was
> passed through MD5. But I think that it will be simpler to all, if the
> email won't be passed in case there might be an issue of privacy.

Good point! We can avoid showing the email address if it was looked
up via MD5 hash.

Thanks for helping us think through the implications!
--
Sam Stokes
CTO, Rapportive

@samstokes
http://rapportive.com
http://www.samstokes.co.uk

Martin Kleppmann

Mar 11, 2011, 12:48:23 AM3/11/11
to raple...@googlegroups.com, Arik Fraimovich
On 12 February 2011 01:37, Arik Fraimovich <ar...@arikfr.com> wrote:
> I went over the new documentation and saw that you added an option to
> override the sidebar using an email address. Can you add an option to
> override the sidebar using a Twitter handle?

We've added this in the latest release: you can now override the
sidebar using twitter_username=foo instead of email=f...@bar.com. :)

Best,
Martin