Installing apps from clone (github)

zimrapid

Jul 1, 2013, 3:04:11 AM7/1/13
to rapi...@googlegroups.com
Whats the best way of installing a cloned app into my project.

I am downloading from my project directory and it creates a folders (rapidsms-app name) inside.

I go into the folder to run (sudo python setup.py install) .

How for i make sure the installs are in my project?

Colin Copeland

Jul 16, 2013, 9:39:58 AM7/16/13
to rapidsms
Which app are you trying to install? If it's on PyPI or has a setup.py file, I'd recommend using virtualenv and a requirements file. If you're using the RapidSMS project template, you can simply add the package (PyPI name or Git/Hr repo) to your requirements file and rerun the install with pip.

Colin

Colin Copeland, Managing Member
Caktus Consulting Group, LLC
http://www.caktusgroup.com

Jan Priebe

Jan 20, 2016, 8:11:54 AM1/20/16
to rapidsms
Picking up on this old thread... I'm just getting started using RapidSMS and have followed the recommended Django and Rapidsms tutorials. I am now trying to add the 'rapidsms-script' app to a new django project.

I installed a RapidSMS project template in a virtualenv following the tutorial and now want to add the 'rapidsms-script' app. What's the best way to do this? How do I add the package to the requirements file (which text to input) since it has no PyPI package, but does have a setup.py file?

Sorry for what must be an obvious question - any help would be appreciated

Colin Copeland

Jan 20, 2016, 12:48:27 PM1/20/16
to rapidsms
Hi Jan,

Pip can install directly from a VCS: https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/reference/pip_install/#vcs-support. You can incorporate this directly into your requirements.txt file.

Hope that helps!

Colin

--

Colin Copeland
Chief Technical Officer

cop...@caktusgroup.com
www.caktusgroup.com

Jan Priebe

Jan 22, 2016, 12:48:58 PM1/22/16
to rapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the quick answer! That was really helpful and got me a few steps closer…

I’ve gotten stuck again now installing its dependencies; specifically code_generator which is giving me an importerror

  File "C:\DjangoProjects\rapidsms_sandbox\code_generator\fields.py", line 14, in <module>

    from code_generator import generate_code, get_code_from_model, increment_base_10

ImportError: cannot import name 'generate_code'

I’ll open a new thread for this though since it’s a different issue altogether.

Cheers,

Jan