RapidSMS 0.19.0 Released

Vinod Kurup

Jan 19, 2015, 8:45:53 PM1/19/15
to rapids...@googlegroups.com
I’m excited to announce the release of RapidSMS 0.19.0! Here’s a quick summary:

 * Minor typos and fixes.
 * Allow from address configuration with Vumi
 * Relax requirements. [Thanks @thedrow!]

You can find the full list of changes in the RapidSMS 0.19.0 Release Notes.

More help is always welcome. If you’re interested, you can read the contributing guide. If you have any questions or issues, please feel free to post them to this list or ask in the #rapidsms IRC channel on Freenode. Bugs can be reported on Github.

​The next release is currently slated to be 0.20.0. I have big plans for this release, as there are currently 2 PRs pending, one to provide Django 1.8 support and one to provide Python 3 support. In order to do this cleanly, this means dropping Django 1.4 and 1.5 support, which I think is reasonable. Projects stuck on older Django versions can continue to use RapidSMS 0.19.0. I think it might be worth considering dropping Django 1.6 support, because then we wouldn't have to maintain 2 sets of migrations, one for South (1.6) and one for Django's new migration framework (1.7, 1.8, and all future versions).

I think this might be a good time to get rid of extensible datamodels and the contrib.locations app (which could be moved to a separate repo if there was interest). Instead, we'd document more Django-ish ways to customize RapidSMS​ (as discussed in https://github.com/rapidsms/rapidsms/issues/393).

​Given these planned changes, I'd also propose that the next version be called 1.0.0. I've been using RapidSMS for a little over a year and certainly feel that it is production-ready.

I'd welcome any feedback about the above thoughts. I'd also welcome any ideas re: tickets that need addressing, or features that are on people's wishlists.

Thanks!

Vinod

--
Vinod Kurup, MD

Developer

vku...@caktusgroup.com

Dan Poirier

Jan 20, 2015, 7:44:25 AM1/20/15
to rapids...@googlegroups.com
I'd vote +1 on all of that.  Thanks for driving these changes!

stockman

May 27, 2015, 1:22:46 AM5/27/15
to rapids...@googlegroups.com, vi...@kurup.com
Thanks very much.

As outlined here [ https://github.com/rapidsms/rapidsms/issues/458 ] , the installations instruction need to be updated because the 0.19.0 template is not available here https://github.com/rapidsms/rapidsms-project-template/zipball/release-0.19.0 .

Thanks.