RapidSMS deployment proposal

Colin Copeland

Apr 10, 2013, 8:55:57 AM4/10/13
to rapids...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Our April milestone is focused on deployment. We've been brainstorming for the past few weeks and have compiled a short proposal in the wiki:

The wiki page outlines the motivation, target audience, and a list of deliverables. In summary, our main objective is to provide the community with a good resource to get started with RapidSMS deployment. We'll cover, at a high level, the basic types of hosting (VMs, PAAS) and how they compare as well as popular tools for provisioning (Chef, Salt, etc.) and automating deployment (fabric). We'll also provide an area of the docs to link out to external deployment templates that community members can create and maintain. We hope this will provide a central point for community members to show how they deploy projects and add their templates to the docs.

We're going to kick things off this week and would love to hear any feedback. Let us know what you think!

Colin

--
Colin Copeland, Managing Member
Caktus Consulting Group, LLC

Victor Miclovich A. K.

Apr 10, 2013, 9:00:21 AM4/10/13
to rapids...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a great idea.

My concern has mostly been about the configuration settings, not many SMS gateway providers have example configurations that work.

For example, in Uganda, a good SMS gateway provider is Yo!, however, to get kannel to play nice with them has been a nightmare. Perhaps crowdsourcing of such resources/configuration settings would be very helpful.
Other gateways like Clickatell, twilio, and so much more.

Otherwise, I love the ideas.

regards,
Victor