State of Rapidsms/Rapidsms community

mugisha moses

Aug 22, 2014, 7:44:56 AM8/22/14
to rapids...@googlegroups.com, rapi...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks ,

What is  the state of the Rapidsms  community. I was brainstorming about  adding IVR based polls to Rapidsms,  only to be told that there is a new fork of Rapidsms called Rapidpro ,  that is going to support this. Given that there has been no update to the community about this, is the Rapidsms community "dead" ? Has it been replaced by Rapidpro? What is Rapidpro anyway?

Thanks

Moses

CTO And CO-Founder
Sparkplug Tech
http:://sparkpl.ug

Victor Miclovich

Aug 22, 2014, 8:04:29 AM8/22/14
to rapids...@googlegroups.com, rapi...@googlegroups.com

it appears to be built off of Textit (by Nyaruka). Also pushing away the dependency on devs or costly consulting firms.

Tobias McNulty

Aug 22, 2014, 8:05:42 AM8/22/14
to rapidsms, rapids...@googlegroups.com
Hi Moses,

Thanks for your message. That's a good question I've been wondering about myself recently. My understanding is that "RapidPro" (http://rapidpro.io/) is a completely separate product that bears to relation to RapidSMS other than in name. It appears to be a re-branded version of a commercial product called TextIt (http://textit.in/).

RapidSMS and RapidPro serve different audiences and different use cases, though I agree the name is confusing. RapidSMS is a framework for software developers to build custom SMS applications, while RapidPro aims to allow technical and non-technical users alike to quickly build prototypes of simple SMS applications and tree-like surveys in a graphical user interface.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Tobias

Tobias McNulty
Co-founder & Chief Executive Officer
Caktus Consulting Group, LLC
http://www.caktusgroup.com

Nic Pottier

Aug 22, 2014, 9:27:41 AM8/22/14
to rapidsms, rapids...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Yes, RapidPro is built of of TextIt. It will be another tool in
UNICEF's belt for building SMS applications, that's why there is a
similarity in branding.

There's a pretty rich set of APIs, so lots of room for developers to
still integrate with the hosted platform to build dashboards, custom
logic etc..
<https://textit.in/api/v1>

Also lots of way of plugging in your own logic through webhooks within flows.

It is just another tool to use, in many cases it will work well, in
others it may make sense to use the RapidSMS framework instead.

Cheers,

-Nic