Installing Rapid-FTR-Android on a mac

eca...@thoughtworks.com

Nov 7, 2014, 4:11:50 AM11/7/14
to rapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have been trying to configure properly the Android project but without luck. Is there anyone who can provide a link on how to install the android Rapid-FTR version?

Thank you very much.

Enrico

Andrew Clarke

Nov 7, 2014, 5:33:02 AM11/7/14
to rapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Enrico,

I don't recall there being anything special about the Android setup that differs from a standard Android app setup.  What type of issues are you running into?  Are you using Maven?  IntelliJ, Eclipse, Android Studio?

Batman

Nov 10, 2014, 9:55:20 AM11/10/14
to rapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Enrico,

Hope you are doing great!

We had a guide to specifically setup RapidFTR-Android codebase on mac
since lot of us had trouble setting it up. I guess we lost it when we
changed the repository on Github.

But here are the steps I posted on a older thread, see if that works
for you.

Basic Setup:
Mac ships Java 1.6 by
default(/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk) as well as
maven. We faced some issues with Java 1.7 so set your $JAVA_HOME to
the path I mentioned.
To get started clean remove $HOME/.m2 folder.
Then install android-sdk with brew (brew install android-sdk)
Add "export ANDROID_HOME=/usr/local/opt/android-sdk" to your
.bashrc/.zshrc
Open a new terminal/tab and type android
I have attached screenshot of my android packages screen. Make sure
you install packages that I have installed(even though not everything
is necessary)
Once you install everything then from menu bar choose "Tools" -->
"Manage AVDs"
Add a new minimalist avd(check the screenshot attached)
Once added close everything and go back to terminal then type
"emulator -avd x"(Note: x is the avd name I used in screenshot, change
it to whatever you want it to be). The command should start an
emulator, give it a minute to start completely.
Type "adb devices" this should start daemon server if it hasn't
already and then display list of devices. You should see something
like this displayed "emulator-5554 device". If it says "emulator-5554
offline" wait for a minute and try again. If the device refuse to come
online then kill the emulator and start it again, give it few minutes
and try this command "adb kill-server && adb devices"
Once the device is up, navigate to your RapidFTR---Android code base
and simply run "mvn clean install"
It will install all maven packages and run all the unit tests and
integration test. If everything passes or even runs completely with
failing tests then you are good to go for development with a text editor.

IntelliJ Setup:
My android project path is ~/Code/Work/RapidFTR/RapidFTR--Android
Install android-sdk and packages(See my previous mail in the thread)
Follow instructions from
https://github.com/rapidftr/RapidFTR-Android/wiki/Project-setup#intellij-idea-13-community-edition
- From commandline execute "android update project -p
~/Code/Work/RapidFTR/RapidFTR--Android/RapidFTR-Android" this should
generate local.properties and proguard-project.txt
Run "cat p
~/Code/Work/RapidFTR/RapidFTR--Android/RapidFTR-Android/local.properties
| grep sdk.dir" This should show you the sdk path, copy it.
Open IntelliJ Settings --> Maven --> Runner click "+" under
"Properties" and add a new property with name "android.sdk.path" and
place the copied sdk path as value(mine looks like
/usr/local/Cellar/android-sdk/22.0.5)
Navigate to View --> Tool Windows --> Maven Projects. Expand RapidFTR
Android Parent -> Lifecycle -> install This will download all
dependencies and run tests, make sure you have your emulator started
from a terminal otherwise integration tests won't run.
configurations)
Navigate to Defaults --> JUnit
By default the working directory is set to your project path
~/Code/Work/RapidFTR/RapidFTR--Android change this to point to
~/Code/Work/RapidFTR/RapidFTR--Android/RapidFTR-Android
Now you will be able to run individual tests from within IntelliJ. Try
running BaseChildActivityTest.java as jUnit. It should work fine.

Please try it and let us know, so that we can add it to the new guide
for Mac.

- -
Batman
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "rapidftr" group. To unsubscribe from this group and
> stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
> rapidftr+u...@googlegroups.com
> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
retwrftrretroublesettingupdevenvironments.zip
retwrftrretroublesettingupdevenvironments.zip.sig