Bob Holt

Paolo MIGONE

Apr 11, 2024, 5:06:46 PMApr 11
to rapapor...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

one loss after the other… Also Bob Holt died. On Dec. 27, 2023, Bob celebrated his 106th birthday, and had a birthday party with Zoom, that he enjoyed. I remember that at our 2009 meeting he wanted to say his goodbye to the group, and we decided to forgo the usual Saturday morning go-round and, instead, give everyone a chance to express their appreciation to Bob. Everett published the transcript of the discussion and also some photos:

www.psychology.sunysb.edu/attachment/rapaportklein/bobholt/bobholt%20transcript.pdf

www.psychology.sunysb.edu/attachment/rapaportklein/bobholt/bobholtphotos.pdf

Joan Holt just sent the email below, and gave me the permission to send it to the group, to “his” group.

Paolo

-----------------

Bob proved himself human after all.  He died at home at 2:15 am yesterday, after a rapid decline starting just a few days ago.  Once it was clear he was dying, we did everything we could to keep him comfortable—regular doses of Morphine to ease any pain or breathing difficulty and Ativan for anxiety/agitation—all under the guidance of his hospice nurse.  Though we were unable to tell if he was aware, Michael and I and Tracy (Michael’s girlfriend) followed the now common practice of telling him we’re with him, we love him, we will keep him comfortable, and reassuring him that he can go whenever his mind and body is ready; that we will miss him but will be alright.  We also left him alone at times to give him whatever inner space he might need.  It all seemed to work well to keep him, and us, calm and ready.  Michael and I were with him when he took his last breath.  Danny, Ellen, and Rachel drove up from NY and were able to spend a little time by his bedside with his body before it was taken to U. Mass. Chan Medical School in Worcester where Bob and I had already arranged to donate our bodies.  So now Bob will perform his final act as a teacher (of medical students).
The grief comes in waves, but having our immediate family here to share it is a great comfort.   I am aware that Bob’s longevity has resulted in the his being predeceased by many of his former students and colleagues, and that he is little known by today’s professionals and students   So we count on you to get the word out to those other professional colleagues who may want to learn of Bob’s death, like the Rapaport Klein Group, his Italian friends, etc.
I think you know how much Bob loved you.  I will continue to.
Joan

Apr 11, 2024, 6:03:26 PMApr 11
to rapapor...@googlegroups.com

Date: 4/11/24 14:55 (GMT-08:00)
Subject: RE: Bob Holt

In waves indeed. Paulo

Bob's devotion to psychoanalysis bringing the strength and depth of his stellar  intellect was a beacon of enlightenment during a period of controversy and often recursive stagnation in our field
As a student and all through my career Bob and Lester were two guides  I trusted along the trail

Cordially

Bart

Barton J Blinder MD PhD
Clinical Professor
Dept.Psychiatry and Human Behavior
Samueli College of Health Sciences
University of California Irvine

Dept.Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
School of Medicine University of Washington

Senior Faculty(Adult/Child)
New Center for Psychoanalysis
Los Angeles

Christopher Christian

Apr 11, 2024, 6:12:43 PMApr 11
to Blinder, Barton, rapapor...@googlegroups.com
It has certainly been a year of painful losses.

Chris

Christopher Christian, PhD
Training and Supervising Analyst, IPTAR
65 Trumbull Street, New Haven, CT 06510

Editor, PSYCHOANALYTIC PSYCHOLOGY
(Official Journal of Division 39, Published by Educational Publishing Foundation of the APA)

Deborah L Browning

Apr 11, 2024, 7:07:53 PMApr 11
to Christopher Christian, Blinder, Barton, rapapor...@googlegroups.com

It is indeed sad news, and yes, it seems, sometimes the losses just pile up.  I took Bob’s psychoanalytic theory course in the NYU Clinical Program in 1974 or 5. That led to a seminar on the use of his Primary Process Manual which I applied to a study of the libretto of Schoenberg’s Pierrot Lunaire which was – well, really a fun application of his serious, carefully thought-out work. He was pleased with it and appreciated my earlier training in musicology and offered me a kind of respectful mentorship I sorely needed at that time in my life. He trusted me to organize his large project of scoring Loevinger’s Ego Development Sentence Completion Test from the Yankelovich  Youth Study.

 I met Joan,  and Bob and she decided to trust me to teach their sons, Danny and Michael, piano lessons.  Despite Bob’s reputation for laboring over people’s dissertations, inadvertently slowing down the whole process, in my case, Bob ushered me through quickly and efficiently, respectful of the fact that I needed that degree to support myself.  That decade of Bob’s gentle, thoughtful, yet intellectually challenging contact provided me a secure grounding in this field as well as a network of friends and acquaintances – including my eventual husband and my analyst -- all of whom had known or worked with Bob in some fashion.

After years away from New York, somewhat losing touch with Bob, coming into the Rapaport-Klein Study Group, which had been home base for my husband,  brought me happily back in touch with Bob. I cannot imagine what my career as a clinical psychologist would have been like without the role that Bob played in it.  My heartfelt condolences to Joan, Daniel and Michael.

Deborah (Browning-Schimek)

NYC and Alford, Mass

Holly Levenkron

Apr 11, 2024, 8:59:07 PMApr 11
to deborah....@nyu.edu, Christopher Christian, Blinder, Barton, rapapor...@googlegroups.com
It’s hard to be the bearer of all this news. Thank you.
I didn’t know Bob well but many years ago my late husband Andy Morrison- who did know Bob - took me to visit when we were spending some time in Wellfleet. Joan and Bob were gracious.The conversation extremely interesting. I felt an immediate connection. We spent a lovely day and Bob offered their cottage to us for a figure private getaway- which we did. Very memorable.
Holly Levenkron

Sent from my iPhone
Holly Levenkron LCSW, LICSW
Dir. Analytic Training ICP, New York

Rebecca Curtis

Apr 12, 2024, 2:53:29 AMApr 12
to Paolo MIGONE, rapapor...@googlegroups.com
Hi, everyone.
This is indeed very sad news although not unexpected. I sent Boba draft of an article, me an unknown nobody.I had never spoken to him and did not know anyone who knew him.I received back 5 pages of single-spaced comments. For me to be taken so seriously was unusual,that is,rare.  The only other experience like that at the time, was with Peter Salovey, psychologist and now Presudent of Yale, when we were young. Now, of course, I feel indebted to the members of R-K. I regret that I cannot attend the meeting this year.
I shall have either knee replacement or another spine surgery.
I shall always remember Bob,his thoughtful,brilliant comments, and his kindness. I am glad to hear he died peacefully,surrounded by love.  May it be the same for all of us!
Sent from my iPhone