Dealing with people who talk to us about problems who are not patients

rebecca curtis

May 7, 2024, 12:52:53 PMMay 7
to William Alanson White Psychoanalytic Program, IARPP Membership Listerv, DIV39...@lists.apa.org, SPR Colleagues, Rapaport-Klein Study Group
Hi, everyone,
I am being confronted with people talking to me about serious problems--and I pick up that they are having cognitive disorders and that they have serious mental disorders.  I really do not know what to say or do when they have no relatives around who are alive.
 I was not in this situation in NYC.  I do not know what to say to keep someone from becoming defensive.
I am also realizing, embarrassingly, that I always, previously, avoided being friendly to people who seemed to have problems.   I still try not to be too friendly, but. .  .
Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Mailing address: 3613 Bayview Rd., Coconut Grove, Fl (US) 3133.  Phone and Facetime are  917-836-1239.  Landline that does not receive texts is 786-616-8947.

I am on a large number of lists that send out large quantities of emails each day, so I MAY MISS YOUR EMAIL.  Email me again or call.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Coleman Curtis, Ph.D.
Professor Emerita of Psychology, Adelphi University & Faculty, WA White Institute

Editor (Belonging Through  Psychoanalytic Lens).  New York: Routledge.

Editor (with B. Willock & I. Sapountzis) (2019). On Knowing and Being Known.  New York: Routledge.

Author "Desire, Self, Mind and the Psychotherapies:  Unifying Psychological Science and Psychoanalysis" Jason Aronson   Goethe Award Finalist 2009 William James Award Nominee

www.adelphi.edu (faculty profiles)