Configuring rapache for Ubuntu 12.04 and Apache 2.4

William Hudgins

Jan 25, 2014, 10:17:23 PM1/25/14
to rap...@googlegroups.com

Howdy. I am currently trying to get rapache configured properly on my VPS. My VPS runs Ubuntu 12.04 and Apache 2.4. After downloading and installing the pre-compiled version of rapache using apt-get, when I attempt to restart apache, I get the following error:

/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_R.so: undefined symbol: ap_log_rerror

This is not the error mentioned in the rapache configuration documentation and I have not found very much on this error. What I've found about this error is that, at least with other modules, it typically means that the module does not work in apache 2.4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jeroen Ooms

Jan 28, 2014, 1:20:44 PM1/28/14
to rap...@googlegroups.com
I can't reproduce this problem. Are you using x64 or 386?

Jeroen Ooms

Jan 28, 2014, 1:28:01 PM1/28/14
to rap...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM, William Hudgins <state...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy. I am currently trying to get rapache configured properly on my VPS.
> My VPS runs Ubuntu 12.04 and Apache 2.4.

Wait, what? Ubuntu 12.04 ships with Apache 2.2 so mod_R is compiled
against apache 2.2. How did you install Apache 2.4? If you use a
non-standard version you need to compile from source.

Brent C

Feb 6, 2015, 12:00:26 PM2/6/15
to rap...@googlegroups.com
I had rApache working on Ubuntu 14.01 with the standard Apache 2.2 version. I just upgraded to 14.04 with the standard 2.4 upgrade and I am getting this same error:

apache2: Syntax error on line 140 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/mod_R.load: Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_R.so into server: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_R.so: undefined symbol: ap_log_rerror

I don't see anything else in the log file.

Jeffrey Horner

Feb 6, 2015, 12:16:50 PM2/6/15
to rap...@googlegroups.com
Did you install rApache from source?

Also, what's the output of the following commands?

apt list | grep apache

or

apt-show-versions -r apache

Jeff
> --

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner

Melanie Bacou

Aug 2, 2015, 6:17:45 PM8/2/15
to rapache
Same problem on CentOS 6.6 with apache 2.4. I just rebuilt rapache from Jeff's Github sources, but I cannot start httpd24 with either `00-rapache.conf` or `99-rapache.conf` enabled. Also since `mod_R.so` is still located under old httpd root at `/etc/httpd/modules/mod_R.so` I tried to edit the conf files to look there, but that's no use.

Thanks for your help,
--Mel.

$ sudo service httpd24-httpd restart

Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 57 of /opt/rh/httpd24/root/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 2 of /opt/rh/httpd24/root/etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/99-rapache.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_R.so into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_R.so: undefined symbol: ap_log_rerror

[FAILED]