Rangy 1.3alpha and 1.2.3 compatibility?

Callum Rogers

Feb 6, 2014, 1:43:51 PM2/6/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First off, I really love your library :D. But how compatibly is Rangy 1.3alpha with 1.2.3? I notice that the `rangy.saveSelection()` type functions have disappeared - does 1.3 aim to be an api breaking release?

Cheers,
Callum

Tim Down

Feb 6, 2014, 7:50:01 PM2/6/14
to rangy
Hi Callum,

The API in Rangy 1.3 should be completely compatible with 1.2 (with the exception of a few undocumented functions that I've removed and some messing around with how modules are defined, which I still haven't finished). saveSelection() and related methods are still there in the selection save and restore module, unless I've managed to miss that out of the build... [checks]... nope, still there. Possibly I'm missing something?

Tim

Callum Rogers

Feb 7, 2014, 2:13:11 PM2/7/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com, t...@timdown.co.uk
Thanks, I was getting confused by the textrange demo page, which did not have all the modules (I was playing around in the console). I see that in the distribution there are the modules.

Callum Rogers

Feb 7, 2014, 2:14:18 PM2/7/14
to ra...@googlegroups.com, t...@timdown.co.uk
One more question - how much do you think the textrange API is going to change in the future? I really want to use this new version at work but the "alpha" tag is making people nervous.

Tim Down

Feb 15, 2014, 11:21:31 AM2/15/14
to rangy
Hi Callum,

I'm not anticipating much changing in the TextRange module but I do need to dedicate a bit of time to just getting my head back into the code and finishing it off. The alpha tag is a deliberate safety net: I'm uncertain about decisions I've made, the complexity of the whole module and the fact that I haven't used it in any real projects yet. However, you were asking about the API, and I can't see that changing significantly. Using an options object as a parameter for most methods means there is plenty of flexibility for adding new features later.

Hope that helps. It's a pretty vague answer, I know.

Thanks,
Tim