Perm Routes with Zero Gravel/Unpaved

Dave Thompson

Dec 27, 2023, 1:27:27 PM12/27/23
to Randonneurs USA
Our recent announcements provided the means of providing gravel distance for reactivating, updating and new permanents.  However, many of our perm routes have zero unpaved.  Let us know which perms you're riding that have no gravel.  That will help us complete the picture.  You can submit perm by perm or save yourself time by listing multiple perms at once.

Bill Gobie

Dec 27, 2023, 2:38:29 PM12/27/23
to Dave Thompson, Randonneurs USA
SIR/Washington members: I have sent a preliminary report for all routes in Washington. Hold off sending updates for a while until Dave gets this info into RUSA's system and you see which gravel distances are incorrect.

Bill Gobie

On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 10:27 AM Dave Thompson <thomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Our recent announcements provided the means of providing gravel distance for reactivating, updating and new permanents.  However, many of our perm routes have zero unpaved.  Let us know which perms you're riding that have no gravel.  That will help us complete the picture.  You can submit perm by perm or save yourself time by listing multiple perms at once.

Charlie Martin

Dec 27, 2023, 10:32:11 PM12/27/23
to gobie...@gmail.com, Dave Thompson, Randonneurs USA
While looking through several of the routes near the San Francisco area, I've noticed that RideWithGPS occasionally has incorrect surface data and reports some unpaved distance even for routes that are completely paved. Sometimes RideWithGPS correctly reports some unintended unpaved data, and it's because the route incorrectly deviates onto a parallel unpaved path. This backfill process is the perfect time to do a quick spot check for such inconsistencies, and I would love it if we could smooth those out during this effort.

If you notice a route is incorrectly deviating onto a parallel unpaved path, please update the route and submit that to the perms team using the route update form.

If you notice that RideWithGPS has incorrect surface data, please also send that update to the perms team using the route update form. Updating the surface type in RideWithGPS is very simple. It's concisely documented here: https://support.ridewithgps.com/hc/en-us/articles/4419010273179-Surface-Types#h_01GJ37H8APAEPCH21CTAJFNEGA

Note that the perms team and the web team already have access to the unpaved distance reported by RideWithGPS. It's a good starting point, but it's far from perfect. Please don't blindly copy that value and report it as the official unpaved distance. If that number could be trusted, it would be a simple matter to backfill everything behind the scenes without this crowdsourcing effort. Instead, we're leaning heavily on folks who are familiar with these routes to provide accurate data.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie Martin

Dec 29, 2023, 3:01:22 PM12/29/23
to gobie...@gmail.com, Dave Thompson, Randonneurs USA
I made a few website enhancements to facilitate this data collection. There are currently 1781 active routes missing unpaved distance data (0 or otherwise). You can get a report of these by checking the new "Missing unpaved data" checkbox on the Permanent Route Search website feature:

perms_search_missing_unpaved.png
You can also now distinguish "0" from "unknown" on each perm details page:

perm_details_missing_unpaved.png

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far!

Thanks,
Charlie