LIGHTING QUESTION: Gemini DUO LED Light Set 1500 connected to 4 cell battery issue

Dawn Piech

Nov 26, 2022, 10:15:32 AM11/26/22
to Randonneurs USA
Looking for assistance/input/suggestions:

I purchased a GEMINI DUO Light 1500 Lumens back in 2016 that connects to a 4-cell battery system.  I have three, 4 cell battery systems that I use on my longer brevets.

Just recently, 2 of the 3 battery systems will not show that it is connected to the light despite both of these 2 batteries showing a full charge when I connect it to assess this.

Has anyone run into this problem with their lighting system connected to batteries?  If so, what have you done to fix this?

I tried to go to the Gemini light website to purchase two new 4-cell batteries but they will not ship to the US.  I will purchase another lighting system but wish I could fix my current system.

I appreciate any input/comments/suggestions you may have on this current issue.

Thanks Randonneurs USA hive minds-

Dawn Piech
Driftless Randonneurs
#10146

IMG_4702.heic

ed bernasky

Nov 26, 2022, 11:15:46 AM11/26/22
to Randonneurs USA
Hi Dawn, I have never owned that system but in a former life, I used to fix stuff.   Short off the hip guess to your problem?

The two "bad" batteries might have contaminated power output connectors.  Just a guess.....this is my reasoning

1.  It is highly unlikely that two battery packs would fail at the same time although connectors are prone to failure.
2.  I understand that your charger connects with a USB-C connector and the charger indicates that the battery is good and charged up, but this measurement would be at the USB-C connector.   The power goes to the lamp on the other connector (round one) from the battery pack, which I guess could be contaminated (or damaged).
3.  Since the 3rd battery pack lights the light and all works fine, the issue is not with the lamp assembly or the remote switch
4.  If the good battery had been connected to the lamp, the other two might have been exposed to liquids, moisture or simply oxidized in storage.

If cleaning the round connector coming off the two bad batteries does not work, I would measure the voltage at that connection.  Don't jam something metal into the connector, you could short the battery.   I would use a small piece of very fine sandpaper myself.  Try to find a local friend with voltage meter to check it, assuming you don't have a meter (again using care not to short the battery).   It is possible you have bad cells in each of the two bad battery packs but I doubt it since Gemini uses very high quality batteries, the best actually.   I understand the 18650 cells inside the pack are replaceable.   I think Amazon might have your battery pack if you cannot find the problem.  Hope this helps.

Howard Z

Nov 26, 2022, 11:20:08 AM11/26/22
to Dawn Piech, Randonneurs USA
Dawn,

I suggest you reach out to Action LED lights:

They sell Gemini and GloWorm lights, which I use mostly for MTB but also for brevets with longer nighttime stretches. I had some weird charge indicators on one of my GloWorm battery packs that they helped troubleshoot and diagnose. They also helped me estimate battery life for different light/battery pack combos to use for brevets.

They are super responsive and very knowledgeable. And, right now they have a 30% Black Friday sale with the best prices of the year (I’m starting to sound like salesman).

At a minimum, they’ll help guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Howard Zabell
#14760

Dawn Piech

Nov 26, 2022, 3:57:39 PM11/26/22
to Randonneurs USA
Thanks for your input Ed, Howard and George.  Much appreciated.

I just went to purchase some sandpaper to try Ed's suggestion first.  Thank you Howard for the Action Lights website, I went directly to Gemini and I could not purchase, but I see I can purchase the batteries via the website you provided.  Yay!

And I know...Dynamo hub, I have one coming (first time) on my new Seven Treeline SL fat bike...but like having this for the rest of my bikes.

Cheers-

Dawn

John Hawrylak

Nov 27, 2022, 12:11:58 PM11/27/22
to Randonneurs USA
Dawn

An emery board (like for fingernails) might fit into the connector better than sandpaper and be more rigid when sanding the wire.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Dawn Piech

Nov 30, 2022, 9:21:28 AM11/30/22
to Randonneurs USA
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I tried both Ed and John's suggestions to use both sandpaper and an emery board...to no avail.

And thanks to Howard's suggestion, I was able to purchase 2 new batteries and the individual on the phone was so helpful.  I received them yesterday from Action LED Lights.

Dawn Piech
Lombard, IL

John Hawrylak

Dec 1, 2022, 5:25:29 PM12/1/22
to Randonneurs USA
Dawn

One other thought to try to salvage your battery.  To clean the contacts use a Q-Tip with isoproply alcohol or electrical contact cleaner (typically a spray can) , spray on qtip and rub contacts.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ