Train (Choo Choo) for a Permanent

Timothy Kelly

Mar 8, 2023, 10:18:14 AM3/8/23
to Randonneurs USA, MARK NORTH
For those of y'all who like train travel along with your bike rides, check out "West Point 200 km" - RUSA Permanent Route # 4664, which was recently approved. It starts from Main St Station and ends less than a mile away at the Great Shiplock Park parking lot (this is to accommodate drivers and train riders).

Main Street Station is served by Amtrak with trains to and from DC and Williamsburg (and beyond). It is in downtown Richmond, and there are many hotels, restaurants, museums and other attractions nearby.

Once out of the city, It is a generally a route with few cars and with a few short stints on some busy roads. Mark North (#12837) and I have ridden this route many times with our LBS bike group.

I would like to thank Crista Borras for the help getting the route approval-worthy. I had a hard time with RWGPS, and I remember seeing someone posting a link to a YouTube video with step by step instructions. If anyone has that link handy, I would love to review it before my next submission.

Cheers!
Tim (#12712)

Greg Merritt

Mar 8, 2023, 10:36:57 AM3/8/23
to Randonneurs USA
“Woohoo” to the “Choo Choo!”

I don’t have exact stats, but I suspect that most of my permanents & local club rides (San Francisco Randonneurs, California), racking up some 36,000km & a couple of R12s in my RUSA record….likely most of these rides involved a train ride to and/or from the ride. Sometimes a bus, and a couple of times a ferry, too. :)

The train really shines for those point-to-point 200k perms, imho. So good!!

-Greg, 5120

Timothy Kelly

Mar 8, 2023, 10:40:43 AM3/8/23
to Randonneurs USA
My decade in SF definitely sealed my love of the train/bike combo. Riding from the city to work in Redwood Shores in the morning and taking Caltrain home to avoid those constant commute-home-headwinds started it all!