Need new shoes

Bill Gobie

Oct 13, 2022, 1:19:24 PM10/13/22
to Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
As it seems impossible to get replacement walking pads for my Giro Republics I need to find some new shoes. I hope this group can point me to a couple of options. Desired features:

Replaceable walking pads
Mountain cleats
Very stiff yet walkable, so probably a fair amount of rocker
Large and wide sizes because I use orthotics and want room for heavy winter socks

TIA

Bill

Gardner Duvall

Oct 13, 2022, 1:42:01 PM10/13/22
to gobie...@gmail.com, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
Along with many others, I am enjoying the Shimano RX800.  I don't know about replacing the pads, but it's stiff, walkable, and is available in wide sizes.

Elly Winer

Oct 13, 2022, 2:13:55 PM10/13/22
to gobie...@gmail.com, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
Take a look at Lake shoes. They come in wide sizes, and have models that have a variety of cleat mounts. I have wide feet and they are very comfortable.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 1:19 PM Bill Gobie <gobie...@gmail.com> wrote:

Elly Winer

Bill Gobie

Oct 13, 2022, 2:17:00 PM10/13/22
to Susan Otcenas, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
Sounds good. My Giros may be almost as old. Now just have to find some. I suppose the odds are good all Sidis fit the same so I should be able to try some lower-end models and then order the right size.

Bill

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 10:34 AM Susan Otcenas <susan....@gmail.com> wrote:
SIDI Dragon Mega.

Has everything you are looking for.   They are also expensive.   BUT, I’m still wearing the same pair of SIDI Dragons I bought in early 2011.  11 years!   I consider that an excellent value for the money considering the # of miles I’ve ridden in those 11 years.  I’ve replaced the walking pads several times as well as the straps, but the shoes themselves are still rock solid.

Susan

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2022, at 10:19 AM, Bill Gobie <gobie...@gmail.com> wrote:

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Seattle International Randonneurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlerando/CA%2Bsg%3DPr-Fkoq3D3Ruf496Ek2v-UvsfJO%3D%3Dt1z-GU8M0PfA5J_Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Mike

Oct 13, 2022, 5:30:58 PM10/13/22
to Gardner Duvall, gobie...@gmail.com, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
I like my Bont shoes. They have a more rounded toe box

Sent from the dark side of the moon

Geoff Hazel

Oct 14, 2022, 3:00:23 AM10/14/22
to Randonneurs USA
I have the SIDI Dragon also and would buy them again in a heartbeat.  My old Sidi that were 10 years old and I'd have them today  EXCEPT that the soles were wearing out because they didn't have the replaceable pads, but the Dragons do (albeit rather expensive themselves).

Bill Bryant

Oct 14, 2022, 7:54:23 AM10/14/22
to Geoff Hazel, Randonneurs USA

+ on Sidi Dragons for three years. They have been a good shoe for randonneuring, IMHO. Thanks for the recommendation Mark Thomas!

I’m a big guy and find the carbon soles are a little stiffer than the Dominators (which I rode for many years) and like that they don’t flex as much.

I just replaced the worn-down lugs on the soles and restored the shoes to good health. The uppers seem to be lasting quite well.

Bill Bryant

RUSA #7

ed bernasky

Oct 17, 2022, 1:52:34 PM10/17/22
to Randonneurs USA
I have the Sidi Drako carbon soled mountain shoes in Mega width, they fit my orthopedics fine and of course, they mount 2 hole mountain cleats.  Very comfy for me.   I believe Sidi stopped making them in wide but I am sure stock is still out there.   For almost all rando and long distance, I actually use a carbon soled racing shoe in Mega width.  I mount Mtb cleats midsole by drilling holes in the carbon and mounting the cleat there.   For most summer rides, I use a 47 mega but for Brevets or Winter when I use wool socks, it is 48 mega.  The pads are all available.  To help prevent/eliminate slipping, I put two layers of Gorilla tape over the 3 hole area.  I have had to walk on these racing shoes more than I care to admit  when riding a recumbent in steep hills, not ideal for extended walking but they work for me.  Probably goes without saying, any true carbon soled cycling shoe isn't cheap.   Sidi Mega is not super wide............

For really large and Wide, Lake is your best bet.

Ramsey Hanna

Oct 17, 2022, 2:10:27 PM10/17/22
to ed bernasky, Randonneurs USA
I have been using Lake shoes for bikepacking they are incredibly durable, warm, offer wide sizes, have a lot of space for thick socks and are competitively priced,
Ramsey