Re: [RUSA] question on super randonneur series

Jake Kassen

Jun 27, 2022, 12:09:10 PM6/27/22
to Dija Amer, Randonneurs USA
For PBP all that matters is the qualifiers are ACP sanctioned and you have ACP certificate numbers to prove it. They don't all need to be in the same country.

Remember for PBP you need to have certificate numbers by the end of June. It can be a difficult timeline for people in parts of the country where it's still pretty cold until May. I'm envious of the people in California and Texas that are qualified by March. :)

Jake

John Lee Ellis

Jun 27, 2022, 12:23:15 PM6/27/22
to Jake Kassen, Dija Amer, Randonneurs USA
Hi Dija,

To amplify on what Jake said, that's correct that they just need to be ACP (or RM) sanctioned.

The policy for 2022 is that your *longest* ACP or RM ride is what counts in giving you a chance to register earlier in 2023 for PBP, and thus get more choice of starting waves. You don't have to do a full series, but may wish to for training and experience. Actual qualification to ride PBP is completing an SR series in 2023, of course.

Good luck with the parenting!

-john lee

john squires

Jun 28, 2022, 6:41:46 AM6/28/22
to Randonneurs USA
OK this is still not quite clear for a first timer.  I understand that if I complete an ACP series 200-600K this year I will have a good shot at early qualification next year.  But do I also have to complete the series next year before PBP?  I realize it's a good idea to build up endurance and to test other things (food, equipment), but is it a requirement to ride the series next year as well?    Thanks,  John

Noel Howes

Jun 28, 2022, 9:29:22 AM6/28/22
to john squires, Randonneurs USA
John,
Next year a full series required.

In the past, the longest brevet you finish in the year previous to PBP determines when you can sign up for PBP. Folks more expert than me can tell you if this is still the case. This came to being because registration was climbing and ACP probably wanted a way of limiting numbers and increase successful finishing.

I have been told that no one didn't get in with, for example, a 400 only etc.

Personally, I would not recommend entering without two series under my belt.

Noel Howes
(206)518-2132

Rob Hawks

Jun 28, 2022, 10:41:07 AM6/28/22
to Noel Howes, john squires, Randonneurs USA
RUSA has put together a few videos that include this topic. If you go here you will see a segment by Mark Thomas on what to ride in 2022 which will include discussion about 2023 as well.

rob hawks

Gary DelNero

Jun 28, 2022, 11:51:30 AM6/28/22
to Randonneurs USA, john squires
It's not a requirement, but I would recommend doing a 1000 or 1200 the year before PBP (this year) to see how you do with long multi-day rides. I find them quite a bit different from a 600k, which typically has a short day 2. In addition to knowledge gained, you also meet many Paris-bound rando's, making PBP even more enjoyable.

Dave Thompson

Jun 28, 2022, 3:18:07 PM6/28/22
to Gary DelNero, Randonneurs USA, john squires
You need a series 2,3,4,6 the year of pbp. Longer can count for shorter.

Dave.

--
From my iwdt

Noel Howes

Jun 28, 2022, 5:03:52 PM6/28/22
to Rob Hawks, john squires, Randonneurs USA
I could look in those sad puppy dog eyes all day and listen to Mark talk about PBP.

Noel Howes
(206)518-2132

Jonathan Howard

Jun 30, 2022, 11:57:47 AM6/30/22
to Randonneurs USA
It might be a good idea to be sure to complete your super randonneur series a couple of months before PBP to allow time for results to be finalized..

I did a brevet last month and it's still showing as "pending". I'm new to this, but if brevet results have to be finalized before PBP...

I was tempted to go for PBP next year, but after reading the advice to do a 1,000 or 1,200 the year before I'm definitely thinking of just going for my super randonneur series for next year and letting PBP wait until next time. :)  Outside of PBP, what are good 1,000 and 1,200 to consider doing?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Rob Hawks

Jun 30, 2022, 1:03:16 PM6/30/22
to Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
Hi Jonathan,

I am the current RUSA Brevet Coordinator and the difference between 'pending' and a cert # on your results boils down to when I or others on the brevet coordination team upload results to the ACP or other international organizations. For *this* year and other non-PBP years, the practice has been to wait a bit to make sure changes to the results have settled down. It is way harder to fix an oversight (omission, wrong data, etc) after it has been uploaded to the ACP website for example. To be sure, there will be way more of an effort to come close to 'real time' processing of results to include ACP certification #s in a PBP year. That would require that RBAs and their volunteers take extra steps beyond the double checking they usually do to avoid the need for changes, as well as the brevet coordination team staying on top of processing results. The ACP will have a deadline for submitting results in order to qualify and register and the brevet coordination team will be making sure there are no delays and PBP hopefuls will have their certification numbers.

So, the short take away here is that there will be less lag time between submission of results and certification being applied in a PBP year.

As for skipping PBP because you are choosing not to do a 1000k or 1200k this year, not that long ago there just weren't many options to do those rides the year before PBP and quite a number of riders used to just ride the SR series the year of PBP and go dormant for 2 or 3 years. It is not a requirement but more of a 'nice to have' accomplishment that pays multiple dividends in the end. Short of that, there is plenty of value in having done multiple 600kms over time ahead of PBP too.

As to which 1000kms or 1200kms to do, well, no two are the same and they will appeal to different people. We'd need to know your criteria for wanting to do a ride before advising on which one meets that criteria.

rob hawks

Mike Sturgill

Jun 30, 2022, 1:04:05 PM6/30/22
to Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
Hi Jonathan,

I'll offer another, and differing, opinion regarding a 1000k/1200k the year prior to PBP. Everyone who rides a 1200k will have a "first" 1200k ridden. Why would your first need to be somewhere other than France? In my opinion (and experience), PBP is the perfect 1st 1200k! There are certainly travel logistics, but the 24/7 party atmosphere leading up to and continuing on the ride is unmatched anywhere. Having other riders to ride with regardless of when/where you are, is uplifting. Staffed controls with food, sleep options, medical support, mechanical support and much more are the rule.

No 1200k is easy, but the atmosphere and support on PBP will make it "easier" than the way most 1200s are supported. In my experience, 1000ks are always unsupported. I also think that a 1000k is harder than a 1200k due to the distances required each day and the total time allowed.

YMMV, but if you want to ride PBP, I say to go for it! 4 years is a long time to wait for the next one. For the record, PBP 2003 was my 1st 1200k. My first 200k brevet was done in Mar 2003 and my first 600k was done in May 2003. I finished PBP that year and loved it! You still have time this year to get in a number of long rides. Ride them to secure your priority registration.

Bonne chance!
-Mike
RUSA 1847
PBP Ancien 2003, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2019

Rob Hawks

Jun 30, 2022, 1:09:23 PM6/30/22
to Mike Sturgill, Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
Hi Mike,

yep, this is what I was getting at with my other comments in the reply to Jonathan.

As someone well past 60 now, I regret all the times I said to myself 'I can do that later' and when later came, I was no longer able.

rob hawks

Dan Driscoll

Jun 30, 2022, 1:27:12 PM6/30/22
to Mike Sturgill, Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
Very Nice note, Mike !!

I can not count on my fingers and toes the number of randos I know personally that finished PBP as their first 1,200km, and I too, am one of them.

PBP In 1999 was my first successful Rando ride longer than 600km. Hard as heck, but win loose or draw, I would not have wanted to miss it.

Been back to every PBP since 1999, and most every year I partnered with a Rando that had never done a 1,200 km before, all 4 new to 1,200kms were successful ;=)

Hope to see everyone on the road in France in 2023,
DanD

Mark Thomas

Jun 30, 2022, 2:19:09 PM6/30/22
to Mike Sturgill, Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
Jonathan -

I agree with Mike. I think that PBP makes for a great first 1200 for the reasons he mentions.

I did just the basic series in my first year of randonneuring. In my second year, I went to PBP. Unlike some others, I also did a 1000k in June of the PBP year. I don’t think it was strictly necessary for my training, but I did learn a lot and finishing gave me extra confidence going into PBP two months later.

My somewhat dated story of that 1000 is attached. Let’s just say I that I have continued to learn over the more than two decades and many 1200s since. (Bag balm, in particular, is happily a distant memory).

Mark Thomas

1999BC1000.pdf

Gary DelNero

Jun 30, 2022, 5:18:44 PM6/30/22
to ma...@muthomas.net, Mike Sturgill, Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
My advice should have some caveats: how old are you and how likely are you to have this opportunity again? PBP is incredible, and it's important to be prepared and committed to a successful finish. They're not pleased to see so many dnfs. Some well prepared riders can't even register.
I missed my first chance to go in 1983, rediscovered the sport 30 years later, skipped my chance in 2015, then did my first PBP in 2019.  The series, and especially the long rides, teach you a lot. In particular, you find out whether you really enjoy spending so much time on the bike. A lot of people (not in this group) just can't enjoy it. There are both physical and mental hurdles to cross. These cannot be underestimated.
Do as many long brevets as you can before you decide about PBP 2023. If you're able to go, and committed, it will be a tremendous experience.

Jonathan Howard

Jun 30, 2022, 5:48:30 PM6/30/22
to Randonneurs USA
Thank you All!

Definitely, food for thought. I've only done one 200k brevet. It took me longer than I expected, of course I lost a spoke in my back wheel and had to ride the last 36 miles with my back wheel rubbing against the brake pads. That said, it showed me right off that randonneering is definitely about embracing the adventure in it's totality.

I think what I'll do is plan ride a super randonneur series to qualify and not rule out going. I'm 49, so I have time to build my fitness and develop my skills for PBP. :)

Thanks,
Jonathan

DBC RBA

Jul 1, 2022, 12:19:36 AM7/1/22
to Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
Jonathan,
My first season of randonneuring started in April of 2007. I completed a SR series which shocked me and then I said to myself, “well, shoot, now I need to go to PBP”. I really didn’t think I would qualify… and then I did.

2007 was a historically bad year weather wise & while it wasn’t pretty, I completed the ride. I was thrilled.

So, 4 short months from start to finish. I don’t recommend my path to PBP, but you need to Want It! The rest will come together through all the help, advice & gear that is out there. The most important part is in your head. Just how hungry are you?

Best,
Deb Banks

Sent from the Rivetress’ Phone

On Jun 30, 2022, at 3:48 PM, Jonathan Howard <tarnishe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you All!

Rob Hawks

Jul 1, 2022, 12:29:56 AM7/1/22
to DBC RBA, Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA
If you'd like to hear more of Deb's 2007 story, you can watch her presentation here.

rob hawks

Jonathan Howard

Jul 1, 2022, 11:31:25 AM7/1/22
to Randonneurs USA
Hello Deb,

That's amazing!

I think for me it's increasing my speed, getting a better handle on my fueling strategies and figuring out how to stop these earth shattering deep leg cramps after huge rides (I think it might be something to do with glycogen stores that better fueling would fix from my research). Nonetheless, each cycling achievement leaves me feeling on top of the world. I love the process of training for things and then accomplishing them. I guess I'm savoring the moments. :)

My next challenge is to train and not crash out this year at Chino Grinder in September and then brevets in October and November!

Thank you!

Jonathan

Jim Logan

Jul 3, 2022, 8:45:29 AM7/3/22
to Dan Driscoll, Mike Sturgill, Jonathan Howard, Randonneurs USA

A note from the back of the pack.  I started randonneuring in 2007 and finished PBP in a little over 89 hours that year.  I was not a natural ultracyclist.  Each distance from 200 k, 300 km, 400 km, 600 km, and 1200 km I learned the necessary lessons through lots of suffering. Over my first 4 years of doing grand randonnees, my body responded this:

  • Year 1 (2007), my body started breaking down on day 1, then I suffered through the rest
  • Year 2, my body started breaking down on day 2, then I suffered through the rest
  • Year 3, my body started to breakdown on day 3, then I suffered through the rest

My first PBP was good off the road.  I was in a small hotel with the Australians which were a lot fun.  On the road, I stopped at a small outdoor restaurant for something.  I wasn’t far enough from control time to afford that, I realized that was dumb, and stopped trying to interact at all with anything other than what was necessary to finish.

I slept 1-2 hours per night, and I was psychotic by the end.  I wasn’t sure if I filled up camelback from a sink or some kind of fancy French urinal circa day 4 (4 years later in 2011 I confirmed it was a sink).

I read trip reports of people that sounded like they were on a vacation, interacting with locals, and such.  That wasn’t me.  I went and suffered for 4 days.  My body had never been (and never since) been so broken down.  I have ridden a total of 9 grand-randonnees, and RAAM qualified as well (thanks Dan!).  So I learned from it, sort of, and kept going and I better learned/conditioned to avoid suffering.  Unlike Dan, I always ride alone.  So had few friendly interactions that first PBP.  On day 2 or 3, I was suffering along. Some US women rider did come along side, ask me “How are you doing?”  Then after I answered, she said, “No, how are really doing?”  That was thoughtful.  Thank you, whoever it was.  2007 was the historical cold (50F and rainy) year.  Fortunately, that is the weather Pennsylvanians qualify in.

My take:  If you are more of a natural ultra-distance person like Dan, go for it.  If you are a back-of-the pack person that suffered pretty horribly through you qualifying series (more than other people), if I had to do it again, I would get the suffering under control inside you own country being paying to suffer outside your own country.  The only advantage to going to France instead of doing a regional ride, is that the stakes were so high, I was willing to suffer more to a level that was kind of stupid.

On the other hand, I swore off grand-randonnees in 2015 as my fitness back off, and here I am doing LEL as a bucket list item next month.  Not wanting to suffer, I’ve cobbled together a training program based on frequency of riding rather then length of riding.  I tested this month, and I can ride a 400 km and survive without damage.  The last two days I did back to 150 mile days on the GAP to test second day recovery.  I’m using those 9 years of suffering through events to hopefully condition other than through brute suffering.  I’ve been riding near weekly long rides for 4 months, and increasing weekly load on top of that.  I’ll see if I’ve been clever enough to prepare without excess suffering, or set myself up to suffer more.

Serving RUSA as the back-of-the-pack curmudgeon since 2007.

Jim Logan

Pittsburgh PA

RUSA #3730

ed bernasky

Jul 3, 2022, 9:01:06 AM7/3/22
to Randonneurs USA
Jonathan.   You might consider doing what I did in 2015, which was after completing my SR, I did a mini-test of my preparation by riding 250k on Thursday, 200K on Friday and then an official 400k on that Saturday in late June.  I started 2014 80 pounds overweight and zero randonneuring gear or even a road bike.  I did finish PBP in 2015, so, it can be done.  That little test of riding multiple days in a row is a cheap and easy way to make sure you're ready.  It seemed to work for me.   You have time.  Don't put PBP off.  Just don't expect a milk and cookies experience that some wax poetic about.   As others have rightly said, there never used to be so many 1200k grand randonnees and a 600k was typically the longest anyone did leading into PBP and the success rates don't seem to have gotten better or worse, suggesting something else is determinant.  I suspect success is 80% physical, 70% logistics and the other 150% is mental.    GL on your prep.   Ed Bernasky

Dave Thompson

Jul 3, 2022, 9:47:52 AM7/3/22
to Jim Logan, Dan Driscoll, Jonathan Howard, Mike Sturgill, Randonneurs USA
I didn’t really start randonneuring until 2009 and by the time I did my first PBP, I had some other 1200’s under my belt. I believe that I enjoyed PBP more, as a result, because I knew that I could handle the various physical and mental aspects of a 1200.

I remember a question from a volunteer at an overnight on my first and only TX stampede - “when do you want to wake up”, me - “I haven’t decided yet”, volunteer - “well when do you want to finish?”, me - “I don’t care”.

It’s all about enjoying the ride. Whatever you can do to get sone experience, go for it.

Dave.

--
From my iwdt

Hoyt Robey

Jul 3, 2022, 11:00:28 AM7/3/22
to Noel Howes, Randonneurs USA, Rob Hawks, john squires
Still looking for advice on light systems and how everyone charges electronics, especially on the longer rides (phone, speedometer, flashing lights, etc.).

Mark Thomas

Jul 3, 2022, 11:17:30 AM7/3/22
to Hoyt Robey, Randonneurs USA
You’ll get many answers to that question, but here’s mine.

I charge my gizmos either from an outlet at overnight stops if available or from a USB power bank (usually 2 10000mAh power banks will get me through a 1200k). Or both.

I try to use devices that won’t need charging during the day. Garmin 1030 plus / 1040 will easily last all day. Ditto for iPhone (esp “Max” models) in airplane mode. I have enough tail lights on the bike to get through day and night.

For headlights, I use one of two different (admittedly expensive) options. The first is a Schmidt generator hub paired with a B&M IQ-X headlight and Secuzed tail light. I leave both on all the time for a measure of extra safety. Back up light is either a Light and Motion 1000 light or the B&M light mentioned below.

Second option is a B&M Ixon Space light. Big battery, excellent beam pattern. It has 8 brightness levels and will run for 30 hours on low (sufficient for flat rural riding). It has a display that will show the time to empty at the current output level which is very convenient for monitoring ability to get to dawn or to next opportunity to charge from outlet power. Backup headlight is Light and Motion 1000.

(Deep backup is that the L&M light will run on low directly from power bank. But I’ve never resorted to that.)

Even with the generator, I don’t bother with trying to charge my electronics from it. Kinda fiddly and I find the power bank approach more versatile. If I were doing some unsupported bike packing event longer than 1200k, I might consider it, but probably not.

In addition to the lights and battery packs, on the bike I carry a small wall power wart and a cable to charge phone and a cable to charge power bank. Drop bag gets a many-headed hydra of a wall charger.

Mark Thomas

Bill Gobie

Jul 3, 2022, 11:23:50 AM7/3/22
to Randonneurs USA
The Cascade 1400 thoughtfully provided a variety of chargers at a designated charging area at each control. Seeing the mess of cables and devices underlined how electronics have infiltrated a originally fully human powered sport. One rider had a device that could not be removed from his bike so we ran an extension cord outside to his bike. (Maybe for the frame's structural integrity field generator? That bike seemed not to be of this century.) Watching riders remove devices from bikes, find personal chargers and cables in luggage, plug devices into chargers, then retrieve them, reinstall on bikes, pack away personal chargers and cables made me realize this is an entirely new time sink at overnight controls.

My advice is minimize the stuff that needs charging. Keep your phone off or in airplane mode and carry a small power bank to power it in an emergency. Power your lights and gps off a generator hub. Use a flashing tail light that takes replaceable batteries.

Bill

Jack Nicholson

Jul 3, 2022, 12:50:58 PM7/3/22
to gobie...@gmail.com, Randonneurs USA
Simple: dynohub for (1) lighting (2) a USB charging device.

During the day when lights don’t need power, the latter charges my GPS, phone, tail lights, and if needed my 5000mA hour battery bank (my backup power source if the hub ever quits, which it hasn’t in 5 years due to meticulous wiring and wire waterproofing).

And a wall outlet charger just in case.

Have gone 1400k needing nothing but the dynohub to keep it all running.

Jack

Jonathan Howard

Jul 3, 2022, 2:44:59 PM7/3/22
to Jim Logan, Dan Driscoll, Mike Sturgill, Randonneurs USA
Hello Jim, Dave and Ed,

Solid advice!

A big thing for me is after 25 years of being a fine artist while holding full-time jobs with overtime and coming home and painting until 3 or 4am to get work done for exhibits… I have burnt all my matches for days of going on two hours sleep. I remember in 2016, going three days on 3-4 hours sleep and then driving my paintings to Denver for a 14 hour drive on an hour’s sleep. I must have drank 3-4 Red Bulls and a dozen Starbuck mochas from the fridges at convient store fridges.

I think because of that knowledge about myself, that i can’t function on less than 5 hours sleep now, I know that I really need to build up my fitness to be able to ride faster. Work on the logistics of not taking too many breaks like my first brevet.

That said with everyone’s advice I am going to keep learning French 167 days in Duolingo! And just train with the intent of signing up for it. If after doing a SRS I don’t feel I’m ready, I will skip it, but for now I’m training for it! I just want to savor the experience getting there and when I’m there, because its about enjoying the ride for sure!

I’m glad to see such a large community of people interested in what im interested in!

Thank you all!

Jonathan

On Jul 3, 2022, at 5:45 AM, Jim Logan <jimlo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Mike Sturgill

Jul 4, 2022, 4:06:02 AM7/4/22
to Randonneurs USA
Hi Hoyt,

Good luck on your search. As with most things rando, it's a matter of tradeoffs. I personally use battery powered devices now with 10,000 mAh batteries as backup power sources. These batteries are inexpensive and small, making them easy to carry and have extras in a drop bag already charged. I have a generator hub but no longer use it because the power "it" creates is actually coming from the rider. This is true whether you are powering something, or just riding along. This will manifest itself in one of 2 ways, depending on how you want to quantize it.
1) For the equivalent power generated by the rider - the rider will be slower.
2) For the same speed generated by the rider - the rider will need to generate more power.

This is simple physics because there is no such thing as a free lunch. There are numerous sources on the web quantizing this metric. Here is one such source.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/how-much-do-hub-dynamos-really-slow-you-down/

These times (or powers) may seem small when looked at over small distances, but when accumulated over large distances add up to some pretty significant times (or extra energy required).

-Mike

john squires

Jul 4, 2022, 7:52:23 AM7/4/22
to ed bernasky, Randonneurs USA
All these posts have been super helpful to the first timer like me.  Sleep is my biggest concern as I don't think I'll do too well on a couple hours of fitful sleep curled up on the floor or slung across a bench. The photos I see of sleep arrangements look pretty grim.  I intend to ride the 84 hour group and I'd like to get at least four good hours each of the two nights.  Has anyone had experience in booking a room and targeting two stops where they have a bed and quiet to sleep?   Or is it really possible to get a decent sleep at the organized controls?    Thank you,  John

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 11:27 PM ed bernasky <edber...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sleeping a minimum of 5 hours per night does add some complexity with logistics and fitness and efficiency.  It can be done.  I think I averaged a bit over 6 hours per night in 2019 and finished in 76 hours or something like.  So, it can be done.  The bottomline is to figure out how you want to ride it and make your plan accordingly.  Getting 5-6 hours per night isn't easy for many reasons and too much to write. The stuff like lights, tires, bike, etc. have many different solutions and pretty easy to work out.  If you saw the contraption I rode in 2019, you'd laugh but it worked for me.  Being very efficient at controls and on the road really helps to get the sleep time you need and to be honest, PBP is not as flat as some say and being light and able to climb decently also helps a lot.  GL
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Randonneurs USA" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/randonneurs-usa/996cfd5e-17ff-4473-81ad-fc86bb2927afn%40googlegroups.com.

--
John Squires
154 Division Street

Jack Nicholson

Jul 4, 2022, 8:04:39 AM7/4/22
to john squires, ed bernasky, Randonneurs USA
For LEL 2017 (a 1400k) we booked hotels all 4 nights. The first was meh… , but the next 2 nights were in a pretty good one. All 3 were quiet, clean, comfy, and provided a chance for showers and electricity (if needed).

The headwinds that followed prevented us from reaching our final hotel, so we slept at the control (air mattress in a school gym). It was the most blissful sleep of the entire event…when you’re dog tired you’ll have no trouble sleeping.

Booked a place in Loudeac for PBP 2019 for the first 2 nights (90 hour plan) and played it by ear for the third night. Never really stopped the third night, just took 20 minute “table naps” every few hours as needed. Will do the same next year.

But that’s just me. YMMV.

Jack

Eric Keller

Jul 4, 2022, 12:03:40 PM7/4/22
to Randonneurs USA
You see pictures of PBP riders sleeping on the floor in cafeterias
because they are either too cheap or too tired to go find the cots. I
have slept on the floor of a cafeteria a few times and it does work,
but it's not ideal. The cots are far superior. There is a delay if
you are in the bulge of riders and try to sleep on a cot at loudeac.
I'm not sure about other places, I've been too tired to ride past
Loudeac.

I think the thing that domestic 1200k's prepare you for is scheduling
the distances and for sleeping three times. It seems obvious, but I
wasn't really prepared to sleep the third night at Mortagne. Which is
a perfect place to sleep for a person that's going to take about 90
hours to finish. Typically, a domestic 1200k will have the 4 days
arranged as roughly 400k, 300k, 300k, 200k. So sleep stops at
Loudeac, Loudeac, Mortagne. I spent 6 hours sleeping between the floor
of the cafeteria at Mortagne and ditch naps between there and Dreux.
And I was still dangerously tired until I gave up and took a ditch nap
a mile from the control in Dreux. I would have been a lot better off
getting a cot.
Eric Keller
Boalsburg Pennsylvania

ken jessett

Jul 4, 2022, 6:03:23 PM7/4/22
to Randonneurs USA
Jonathan,

Re; Glycogen. This might interest you: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6019055/

pvlasvel

Jul 6, 2022, 5:57:30 PM7/6/22
to Eric Keller, Randonneurs USA
All,
If you can make it to Carhaix, I would sleep there.
Paul

> You see pictures of PBP riders sleeping on the floor in cafeterias
> because they are either too cheap or too tired to go find the cots. I
> have slept on the floor of a cafeteria a few times and it does work,
> but it's not ideal. The cots are far superior. There is a delay if
> you are in the bulge of riders and try to sleep on a cot at loudeac….

I have slept on cots and mats in the PBP designated areas—these have been nice. I’ve also slept under tables in the cafeteria or other informal places—these have been less than nice. The cost never entered my mind in the choice. The long lines and wait times sometimes present for the sleep areas were the deciding factors. An hour+ long wait in a line vs sleeping on the floor led me to decide to go ahead and get what sleep I could rather than stand there waiting.

Mark W

Jonathan Howard

Jul 6, 2022, 6:50:17 PM7/6/22
to Mark Wooldridge, Eric Keller, Randonneurs USA
I admit that I'm worried about sleep deprivation when doing this to a certain extent. I'm not so much worried about where I'll be sleeping. From the photos of previous PBPs, it seems like there's so many people involved that sleeping in informal places is acceptable.

There's also the logistics to consider, of not knowing where you will be exactly on the route. I have only done one brevet admittedly, but I would have likely finished within 10 hours if I hadn't lost a spoke in my rear wheel instead of 12:45. I also had a detour and a gps malfunction that added 10 miles to my 126 mile ride. You can't really plan on being in a specific place by a specific time.

My thought is if I'm feeling good and riding fast I'd rather ride past where I might have considered booking a place to get further down the road. You never know when riding an extra 50 miles early on might help buy you the time to get something repaired at a shop the following day. Besides, I've slept in the back of my car or in a tent for two races/brevet that I've done this year - a cot in a gymnasium doesn't sound too bad to me. :)

Jonathan

Dija Amer

Jul 11, 2022, 8:43:30 AM7/11/22
to John Lee Ellis, Jake Kassen, Randonneurs USA
Thank you so much for your help anciens.

Dija Brooklyn

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 10:09 AM Jake Kassen <li...@jkassen.org> wrote:
For PBP all that matters is the qualifiers are ACP sanctioned and you have ACP certificate numbers to prove it. They don't all need to be in the same country.

Remember for PBP you need to have certificate numbers by the end of June. It can be a difficult timeline for people in parts of the country where it's still pretty cold until May. I'm envious of the people in California and Texas that are qualified by March. :)

Jake

Paul Vlasveld

Jul 12, 2022, 1:05:51 AM7/12/22
to Randonneurs USA
John,
Yes, you do need to complete the series next year. I remember back in 1995 and 1999 I had to complete 2 years of qualifying.
Above all do not give up when attempting to complete the series next year. In 2019, I attempted the 600km 3 times, until I completed the Utah 600km on the weekend of June 27-28. That is what you would call Just in Time planning. Always block the time for several 600km rides. As you know us Rando's are a very paranoid bunch when it comes to completing the series in a PBP year.
Paul
RUSA 108  completed PBP 1999,2003, 2007, 2015(just out of time by 45 minutes)

Dija Amer

Jul 18, 2022, 5:04:13 AM7/18/22
to John Lee Ellis, Jake Kassen, Randonneurs USA
Thank you so much for clarifying this.

Best,
Dija

Sent from my iPhone