Randoplan.com for brevet weather forecasting

Rob Hawks

Mar 28, 2024, 12:11:20 PMMar 28
to Rob Hawks
Hi all,

I am usually late to the party, but it may be that some of you don't know yet about a weather forecasting app made specifically for randonneuring. Brian, who created the app, has so far left word to be spread on a person to person basis and has not made any grand public announcements, so like me, some of you hadn't heard about it yet. I was tipped off to it earlier this week.

Brian is a PBP ancien, and rides a majority of brevets that my region (CA: San Francisco) hosts, so he easily has a randonneur's perspective on what weather info is helpful to us. (He just may have ridden in your region too.)

Please go to https://www.randoplan.com/ and check out the app. There are similarities and some overlap with Epic Ride Weather (ERW), but there are some features that are new when comparing it to ERW. One that I like is the ability to select a source of data for forecasting. Like ERW, Randoplan can use Apple Weather Kit, but you can also select from others on a drop down menu. Another feature I liked that Randoplan has is the ability to enter planned stops. I used that to forecast out my team's fleche route and listed stops of 1-2 hours.

The Randoplan app is free to use, however, please consider donating via the donate button you will see in the upper right of the display. This will help Brian further enhance the app (perhaps by adding more weather data sources, and/or other source apps for route information (OpenRunner for our friends in Europe?)). Also, if you have questions or comments for Brian, you can send those to: randop...@gmail.com

rob hawks
RBA, San Francisco Randonneurs

Sean Keesler

Mar 28, 2024, 12:33:37 PMMar 28
to Randonneurs USA
I think I've used it for almost ride I've done for the past couple years.
It's been well worth the small pittance I just donated.

Brook Henderson

Mar 28, 2024, 1:37:24 PMMar 28
to Sean Keesler, Randonneurs USA, randop...@gmail.com
Rob,

THANK YOU for sharing this information with "the general public."

I have been using ERW for a few years now, but was completely unaware of Brian's Randoplan forecaster. Clearly he's put much thought and work into the application.

I like that it's a web application, not a phone app. (I've always wished for a desktop/web version of ERW.)

Another major difference not noted is that in Randoplan you enter your flat pace, and Brian has an algorithm to adjust that speed for the conditions (hills & wind), whereas in ERW you have to estimate your average pace for the entire ride including all stops.

I'll definitely be looking at using Randoplan for my upcoming rides, and will be sending some $$ Brian's way.

-Brook

Chris Argo

Mar 28, 2024, 3:08:59 PMMar 28
to Randonneurs USA
Hi all!

I can also vouch for RandoPlan.com. I was introduced to it by fellow randonneur George Winkert in 2021 when we were in Colorado prepping for the Colorado High Country 1200K. Imagine the site was in its infancy then but I have found it quite useful over the last couple of years. It was a bit quirky to use at first but I find it a solid interface that just keeps getting better. At the very least, check it out and give it a test run. I think you'll love what you see.

Chris Argo
Alabama Randonneurs

Pascal Ledru

Apr 3, 2024, 11:06:20 PMApr 3
to Randonneurs USA
I have used randoplan quite a lot. It very accurately forecasted the rain in Florida on the Golden Falcon! I think it is very cool that is was developed by "one of our own". I usually look at the map on my computer, then save the shareable link on my phone to check during the ride. Huge thanks to Brian for developing this app!

Pascal

Emily O'Brien

Apr 4, 2024, 9:44:54 AMApr 4
to Pascal Ledru, Randonneurs USA
If you're traveling and deciding on your ride planning, you can combine this with Jake's Geosearch tool at http://rusa.jkassen.org/ . It lets you search for perms and events by distance from any location, so if the weather for one doesn't look appealing you can see what else is nearby that might go in a different direction.

-----------------------------------
Dill Pickle
... gear for the extra mile

www.dillpicklegear.com
-----------------------------------

Ted Timmons

May 28, 2024, 8:25:20 PMMay 28
to Randonneurs USA
I just want to say that I really like Randoplan for getting an idea of what I’ll be up against on permanents/brevets.

But alas, it hasn’t been working for me for several days. Anyone else having issues?

Ted Timmons

Sean Keesler

May 28, 2024, 8:41:56 PMMay 28
to Ted Timmons, Randonneurs USA
Brian mentioned he had some issues with some external libraries a couple of days ago but that it had been resolved.
Seems to be working for me.

--
-- Sean

Ramsey Hanna

May 28, 2024, 8:48:14 PMMay 28
to Sean Keesler, Randonneurs USA, Ted Timmons
Epic ride weather is essentially identical

Georgi Stoychev

May 28, 2024, 8:49:35 PMMay 28
to Ted Timmons, Randonneurs USA
Try switching the weather source. At times , one of them is down but you have more options

Ted Timmons

May 29, 2024, 7:57:59 AMMay 29
to Randonneurs USA
Well, it’s working for me now. I was getting just a blank screen other than the header, so had no way to select the route, etc.

Anyway, it all good now!