Call for testers: Google Calendars for all RUSA events

Robert Sexton

Mar 31, 2022, 12:51:00 AM3/31/22
to Randonneurs USA
Hello Everybody,

For several years I've been maintaining a google calendar of all the Bay Area brevets.   This combined calendar is a huge help for planning a season of rides.

I'm happy to announce that there are now google calendars available for all of RUSA.  Calendars are broken out by RUSA region or by state or RBA, with an eye towards ride planning.

These calendars are updated every day from the official RUSA database.

Riders can subscribe to calendars on their own, and it's pretty easy to make custom calendars to share with other people or embed in web pages.

There is a preliminary users guide here:  RandoCal Users Guide

The big list of calendars is here:  The Big List of Calendars

This has been a big project and there are still many things to do.  Any and all feedback is welcome.

Many thanks to Brian Feinberg and Charlie Martin for making this possible.

- Robert Sexton, RUSA 7622

Robert Sexton

Apr 1, 2022, 11:37:05 AM4/1/22
to Randonneurs USA
An Update:

The big list of calendars is a copy of a master sheet that is much more informative.

Please use this master list instead:

Thanks for all the feedback!

- Robert

Robert Sexton

Ronald Long

Apr 1, 2022, 11:45:59 AM4/1/22
to Randonneurs USA
I've been manually maintaining the google version of the SIR calendar for the Seattle Randos.
I've been either putting in a link back to the SIR webpage of that event, or copying at least the basic information into the calendar entry.
Will you be doing something similar?

Robert Sexton

Apr 5, 2022, 6:38:54 PM4/5/22
to Randonneurs USA
The existing scripts only have access to the RUSA data.   I think there is a link in there for the Region, although there is not an event-specific link.   Charlie and I discussed putting the Region's published RUSA link into the description, and I like that idea.

There has been a lot of discussion about how to handle this.   The scripts should be able to detect modified calendar entries and leave them alone so that a human maintainer can make changes and have the changes stick.

I don't yet know exactly what rules make sense there.   It's much harder for an automated system to modify existing entries than delete and replace them.

Brian Feinberg

Apr 8, 2022, 2:03:39 AM4/8/22
to Randonneurs USA
In other words, the scripts can't put in a link to (for example) the SIR page for an SIR event, because the RUSA website doesn't actually know anything about that. However, once the calendar entry for the event is created,
a human can update the calendar event with that link and the scripts will then leave it alone.

     ------ Brian

Grant McAlister

Apr 10, 2022, 5:50:30 PM4/10/22
to Randonneurs USA
Robert

This looks great and super useful. I was building my own google calendar of the events in California and a few other so this will save me a bunch of time each year and of course I never updated mine so it got stale as the year went on.  One additional calendar I would build was one with 1000/1200 across the US which is great when looking at planning for the next year.  Depending on my plans I sometimes made one for the the whole international RM1200 calendar as well.

Thanks

Grant
RUSA #9343

Mitch Ishihara

Apr 11, 2022, 10:51:32 PM4/11/22
to Robert Sexton, Randonneurs USA
Nice automation!  It might be useful to include the event "Type" in the calendar entry somewhere. For example, there are RUSA and ACP Brevets which are used for different event qualifiers and awards.

For example, here's all future events in the RUSA database sorted by date that shows the information entered and available:

For kicks, I usually keep a few links of search parameters I'm interested in:

cheers,
Mitch