shipping a bicycle

Ronald Long

Feb 6, 2024, 2:07:41 AMFeb 6
to Randonneurs USA
I'm negotiating the purchase of a bicycle with someone in another part
of the country. They seem to have very little, if any experience
shipping a bike.
I have a vague recollection of some recommended bike transport
companies being mentioned in this forum.

I'd appreciate it if you know of any you'd recommend.

thanks!

ronald

Brook Henderson

Feb 6, 2024, 3:45:02 AMFeb 6
to Ronald Long, Randonneurs USA
Ronald,

I would recommend you have the seller take the bike to a local shop in their area, and have the LBS pack and ship the bike to you at your expense/added cost.

-Brook

Mike Sturgill

Feb 6, 2024, 8:49:30 AMFeb 6
to randonn...@googlegroups.com
I've had very good results using bikeflights.com. They use UPS as their shipping partner. You purchase the shipping from Bike flights and receive a shipping label from UPS. They have been 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the same exact shipping relative to going directly thru UPS or FedEx. I've used them 10-12 times and every delivery has been with no issues whatsoever.

-Mike

Mike Sturgill

Feb 6, 2024, 10:30:41 AMFeb 6
to Randonneurs USA
Responding to the entire group in case others would like to know.

In most of the shipments, I had my S&S coupled bike packed in its hard case. I have also shipped that case with clothes and other items forward to a destination I was riding to, on a point-to-point route. I have also shipped my soft S&S case with my bike, and without my bike, again on a point-to-point route. When you go onto their web and go thru the shipping process, there are drop-down options to chose what you are shipping. The categories include bike, bike accessories, and maybe others. I have also shipped a cardboard box full of cycling clothes, food items and cycling related stuff to a destination I was riding to. I don't think I've ever paid over $38 for any of my shipments. Some have been around 60 pounds. They have also always arrived in 2 days, although I don't recall if that is guaranteed.

So, in my experience, you can use multiple shipping containers and ship pretty much anything bike related. The shipper has to supply the container, so in the OP's original question, I suggest that a local bike shop be contacted to get a box for shipping.

HTH,
-Mike

On 2/6/2024 7:46 AM, Phillip Stern wrote:
What do you use for packing the bike?