Any advice for base layers, long sleeves or a jacket?

Jesse Molina

Dec 19, 2021, 11:52:08 AM12/19/21
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Morning,
I am new to the group and have noticed yesterday on my ride it was in the mid 40s here in California. My chest was really cold which started to feel uncomfortable considering the wind hitting it doesn't help. My base layer is a thin wool long sleeve with my jersey over it then my riding long sleeve zip up. Could use some advice on what kind of gear or suggestions. I am in the market to shop around to keep me going in any kind of weather.

Thank you :)
Jesse

Richard Stum ~ eoGEAR

Dec 19, 2021, 12:05:44 PM12/19/21
to Jesse Molina, randon
Check out this page on my blog entitled "10 Tips for Staying Warm while Cycling in the Winter."

Cheers,
Richard Stum
Living in the Mountains of Central Utah
Rap Sheet: Salt Lake Randonneurs RBA | Rando Richard—Blog | Strava | eoGEAR—Cycling Bags |

Bill Gobie

Dec 19, 2021, 12:25:51 PM12/19/21
to Jesse Molina, randon
A merino fishnet first layer is fantastic. It creates an air gap that keeps cold, damp outer layers off your skin. The zip-up turtleneck on this one is really nice when it's very cold.

Gore ShakeDry jackets provide great wind protection and are super waterproof.

Bill

David Buzzee

Dec 19, 2021, 12:59:13 PM12/19/21
to gobie...@gmail.com, Jesse Molina, randon

James Bondra

Dec 19, 2021, 1:44:04 PM12/19/21
to David Buzzee, gobie...@gmail.com, Jesse Molina, randon
One of the best purchases I made a few years ago was an insulated vest. Helps keep core warm and wind off chest.

Get Outlook for Android

Dec 19, 2021, 1:45:41 PM12/19/21
to randon
certainly +1 for a Merino base layer. Will definitely check out the fishnet.

Eric Norris

Dec 19, 2021, 1:48:15 PM12/19/21
to James Bondra, David Buzzee, gobie...@gmail.com, Jesse Molina, randon
I would try a wind vest. You have plenty of layers already, but my guess is that none of them is blocking the wind.

A vest as your top layer might help. That’s what I’m using here in NorCal (on top of a wool jersey).  YMMV

–Eric N

On Dec 19, 2021, at 10:44 AM, James Bondra <jbo...@ithaca.edu> wrote:

 One of the best purchases I made a few years ago was an insulated vest. Helps keep core warm and wind off chest.

Martin Shipp

Dec 19, 2021, 2:01:10 PM12/19/21
to Randon Subscribers
+ 10 on the neck gaiter.
That's the number of degrees F that my 30-plus-year-old running head-band that I use as a neck gaiter is worth on the feels-like front.

Enjoy the ride,
...Martin

Whomever replied with this is "bang-on".

David Buzzee

Dec 19, 2021, 3:48:45 PM12/19/21
to Ronald Long, randon
Neck gaiter? That would be me. I don't leave home without one, usually in a kit-compatible color.
David Buzzee

Bill Gobie

Dec 19, 2021, 5:03:40 PM12/19/21
to randon
The turtleneck of the fishnet shirt I recommended is tall enough to cover my nose, so it works as an on-demand gaiter. Most of the time I overheat with a gaiter, even pushed down.

Bill

andrea...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2021, 1:31:48 PM12/20/21
to Jesse Molina, randon
Hi Jesse,

For just keeping your chest warm, you might try something like these products (longer than a neck gaiter):

Or

I have something similar from Defeet, but they don’t seem to sell them anymore. Sharing above as examples.

It’s a nice little extra layer that takes minimal space.

Best,
Andréa
2620

Sunday, December 19, 2021, 11:52 AM -0500 from Jesse Molina <molin...@gmail.com>:
Morning,
I am new to the group and have noticed yesterday on my ride it was in the mid 40s here in California. My chest was really cold which started to feel uncomfortable considering the wind hitting it does help. My base layer is a thin wool long sleeve with my jersey over it then my riding long sleeve zip up. Could use some advice on what kind of gear or suggestions. I am in the market to shop around to keep me going in any kind of weather.

Thank you :)
Jesse

jinu...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2021, 2:01:35 PM12/21/21
to randon
Similar to the jacket you mentioned Andrea - if you can still find this in stock anywhere, this jacket has a similar function to thewarmfront:

Review: Shimano Evolve Wind Jacket | road.cc

Works perfectly in the 38-40 degree weather we're having in the Bay.  Was able to climb Hamilton on Saturday without feeling the cold on the descent.

Jesse Molina

Dec 26, 2021, 4:00:31 PM12/26/21
to jinu...@gmail.com, randon
Hello,
So I followed everyone's advice and I have to say many thanks. There is another question well two. My first question is can anyone suggest fenders? Would anyone recommend removable fenders? And my second question is a great bicycle bag? I am currently running a Ruth Works
Brevet bag. It's a great bag with a cue card window. Sorry for all the questions :)

Kindest Regards,

Jesse

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/randon/ab044b8b-be86-46e4-83c7-56d24729a072n%40googlegroups.com.

Bill Gobie

Dec 26, 2021, 4:15:48 PM12/26/21
to Jesse Molina, jinu...@gmail.com, randon
PDW fenders!

You won't have removable fenders on the bike when you need them.

Bill

Bill Gobie

Dec 26, 2021, 4:22:21 PM12/26/21
to Jesse Molina, jinu...@gmail.com, randon
With this doodad you can mount a headlight on a metal front fender:

Bill

David Buzzee

Dec 26, 2021, 6:12:10 PM12/26/21
to Jesse Molina, Bill Gobie, jinu...@gmail.com, randon
Another vote for PDW fenders. Durable, provide good coverage, price is reasonable, fully adjustable . . . .

Mitch H

Jan 3, 2022, 5:03:35 PM1/3/22
to randon
These are excellent options, I was not aware of them, thanks Andrea

I wish to offer another option:
A newspaper over one's chest, under one's jersey.
Its an old Euro pro usage, in which racers would be handed a newspaper at the top of a mountain pass to cut windchill while descending.
I used to use an actual newspaper, which could easily be tweaked for thickness by using different numbers of layers.
But they wouldn't last very long.....

I have a modern update which I like better:
A US Postal Service mailer, made out of Tyvek-type woven plastic.
They're free <wink> at any US Post Office.  Take 2 or 3 if you like.....
Just cut off the adhesive flap, use a sharp knife to cut the folds on one long side and one short side.
I then cut out a half-moon for my neck so I get some coverage over the front of the shoulders.
I'm pretty tall and I have to cut the length down a little.  It can be much bigger than the WarmFront item.
Weighs 13 grams, folds flat, I carry one in my bag at all times, comes in handy no matter the season for a little extra warmth.
I can get through a whole year with just two.

Thanks
Mitch in Battle Creek

Mark

Jan 3, 2022, 9:21:29 PM1/3/22
to Mitch H, randon
I think part of the answer is “It depends.”  Last month in germany I went riding and the temperature was between 28 f and 32 f all day; here in Texas lately it has been 28 deg in the morning and 55 during midday.

I use different clothing choices, with much more use of arm warmers and vests in places where it warms up midday.  In germany I used a jacket instead.

Mark W

Sent from my iPhone

Keith Kohan

Jan 3, 2022, 9:21:36 PM1/3/22
to randon, Mitch H
And if you abandon or bonk out on a ride you can easily mail yourself home.

ma...@muthomas.com

Jan 4, 2022, 1:45:18 PM1/4/22
to randon
I have a modern update which I like better:
A US Postal Service mailer, made out of Tyvek-type woven plastic.
They're free <wink> at any US Post Office.  Take 2 or 3 if you like.....
Just cut off the adhesive flap, use a sharp knife to cut the folds on one long side and one short side.

Save the adhesive flap. Cut into 4x6 cm pieces (leaving the backing on). They make excellent tire boots and the adhesive helps to hold them in place while one puts everything back together.

Mar

Susan Otcenas

Jan 4, 2022, 2:40:07 PM1/4/22
to ma...@muthomas.com, randon
I think this is the most quintessentially rando thread I’ve read all year.

Sent from my iPhone

mitchell hull

Jan 5, 2022, 9:23:36 PM1/5/22
to randon
"...easily mail yourself home".
YES!  With tracking (says the envelope)!

mitchell hull

Jan 5, 2022, 9:25:02 PM1/5/22
to randon
"Save the adhesive flap"
Excellent advice!
I also carry a hank of super-duper duct tape for this and other repairs.

Mitch