Dual position bar mitts

James Bondra

Nov 23, 2021, 8:30:40 AM11/23/21
to ran...@googlegroups.com

I have a pair of the older bar mitts which only allow one to brake/shift from the hoods. Have any of you used this newer version which allows braking/shifting from both the hoods and the drops?  My older version does not work with the height of the shifters on my GRX hoods on my gravel bike. Also this version looks a lot safer in terms of riding steeper descents or times you want to be in the drops.

https://barmitts.com/products/road-bike-dual-position-bar-mitts

Click on the picture to see how they are mounted. There are two versions: a regular and an extreme version (for colder weather)

Thanks,

Jim

Lin Osborne

Nov 23, 2021, 12:15:38 PM11/23/21
to jbo...@ithaca.edu, ran...@googlegroups.com
It's generally too warm where I live to invest in bar mitts, so I have zero personal experience with them, but recently I stumbled across this review from The Path Less Pedaled for BikeIowa's Pogie Light bar mitt.  Apparently, TPLP isn't the only person/group to favorably review these mitts.

Another option, perhaps?

Hope this helps.
Lin

James Bondra

Nov 23, 2021, 12:24:30 PM11/23/21
to Lin Osborne, ran...@googlegroups.com
Not available till the end of winter. Thanks for your reply.

Get Outlook for Android

Nov 23, 2021, 1:28:31 PM11/23/21
to James Bondra, ran...@googlegroups.com
I've used the older Bar Mitts. They are great in the cold. However, the windage they add affects handling -- the handlebars want to weathercock at high speed or in side winds. The severity of this effect depends on the bike. I adapt to it in about half an hour. Some people can't get through the adaptation period and swear off these things. This new version looks enormous so I would expect much more severe destabilization of the steering. Again, this is going to depend on the bike. If the small ones don't cause you any problem then maybe these bigs ones will work for you. I myself would not use them on my bike.

Bill

Mitch H

Nov 24, 2021, 7:32:03 PM11/24/21
to randon
i have not used these mitts, however, i have made my own from US Postal Service tyvek mailing envelopes, for "free."
You can fit them so that one can operate brifters (I have Campy) from the hoods or drops.  You can even get most of the tops accessible for climbing.
They're a little slow to put your hands in, and I'm sure they have some exposure to side winds.
But I find I don't need any insulation for this function, and its amazing how much less glove you can use for a given temperature.

Head down your local USPS and get four envelopes, in case you need to practice:
1. cut the sealing flap off the envelope
2. use a sharp knife or razor blade to cut open on one long side, so that there are now two sides open.
3. slip on over the brifter or brake lever, use clear tape to attach to top of drop bar, wrapping a couple of times
4. use tape on inside to semi-secure the open end to the drop bar end.
If you mess it up, well, you DID get and extra or two on your latest trip to the Post Office, didn't you?

Mitch Hull, who rides for fun all year round here in southern Lower Michigan