aluminum seatpost: bad idea in carry-on?

Greg Merritt

Jul 5, 2015, 9:13:05 PM7/5/15
to randon
My saddle & post will be going in suitcase or carry-on, not in my bike box, for U.S.-PBP travel.  I'd prefer to keep them together to preserve the positioning, and I'd prefer them in carry-on in case my bike doesn't show up -- so that I could use my preferred saddle on a locally-sourced emergency bike.

Is a big metal tube (the seatpost) likely to be disallowed in the cabin?  Or should I just bring it in through in my carry-on with little concern?

Thanks!

-Greg

Richard McCaw

Jul 5, 2015, 9:35:28 PM7/5/15
to Greg Merritt, randon
My past experience would indicate a post wouldn't be allowed. Anything longer than 4-6 inches (or metric equivalent) is considered a potential weapon -- check rules from each departing country.
Richard McCaw
Sent from my iPhone

Andy Bailey Goodell

Jul 5, 2015, 9:46:15 PM7/5/15
to randon
Do they lose bike boxes? I always assumed the only bags lost are generic black ones with no identification. At least with a bike box, you have plenty of room to write your contact information and destination on it. I'd guess that the chance your parts are confiscated is going to be higher than the chance that they are lost in transit.

Andy
Richmond, VA

Greg Merritt

Jul 5, 2015, 9:56:53 PM7/5/15
to Richard McCaw, randon
Ok -- Thanks, Richard!

-Greg

Jake Kassen

Jul 5, 2015, 10:20:10 PM7/5/15
to Greg Merritt, randon

On Jul 5, 2015, at 9:12 PM, Greg Merritt <greg.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My saddle & post will be going in suitcase or carry-on, not in my bike box, for U.S.-PBP travel. I'd prefer to keep them together to preserve the positioning, and I'd prefer them in carry-on in case my bike doesn't show up -- so that I could use my preferred saddle on a locally-sourced emergency bike.

I can't answer the saddle-in-carry-on question (I'm guessing it's somewhat up to the whims of the local TSA) but I can say that in 2007 Air France lost my checked bag but not my bike. My crank and a few other critical bike parts where in that lost bag. I spent the ~48 hours before PBP frantically trying to source a replacement crank, pedals, etc. In the end the bag was found and returned to be before the ride and although by that time I had enough parts to do the ride I wouldn't have been happy with the alternative.

Lesson learned: Splitting things up only doubles the chances that for one reason or another you'll be unhappy. I now travel with a coupled bike in a backpack suitcase and haven't had any problems.

Jake

Bill Gobie

Jul 6, 2015, 2:44:03 AM7/6/15
to randon
I would mark the saddle rails, and the clamp-post interface for the angle. Pack the post with your bike.

Leaving France in 2011 the security guys spent about 10 minutes debating my saddle. They let me keep it.

Andy -- Yes, entire bike boxes do go missing. They usually turn up, after a while. That's one reason to arrive 3-5 days early.

Bill

ripva...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 7:57:01 AM7/6/15
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Having travelled millions of miles, I can say for sure that every airport TSA applies their own rules and I would not risk carrying on the seat post.

I put a strip of painters tape around the seatpost where it meets the seat tube and I also measure the distance from BB to saddle and mark that on the tape.  The saddle and post assembly goes into my bike carrier as a unit.

I have had bikes not arrive at my destination twice but they got to me in 2-3 days.  I also have had firearms lost but eventually recovered and I wish TSA would put the locks back on, talk about a security issue!!!!  And why do they open bike cases and thrash everything and just throw it back in?

Get there early with one case is my strategy.

IF the bike is damaged or lost, plan B is to overnight my backup bike.  Yes, this will cost a small fortune.

Greg

Jul 6, 2015, 2:15:29 PM7/6/15
to ran...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 11:44:03 PM UTC-7, Bill wrote:
I would mark the saddle rails, and the clamp-post interface for the angle. Pack the post with your bike.

Already needed to take the rack, fenders, saddle, post & chain out of the case to get (comfortably) under the 50-pound limit.....packed case is at 48lbs on the (untrusted) bathroom scale, before adding extra packaging/tie-down material, so I'll definitely have some bike parts in my checked luggage.......so it goes.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips based on experience!

-Greg

AKThomas

Jul 6, 2015, 2:17:57 PM7/6/15
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Is the 50lb limit an issue if your bike box is already oversized?  Will they charge double for oversize and overweight?

Steve Rice

Jul 6, 2015, 2:50:46 PM7/6/15
to randon
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 2:17 PM, AKThomas <tdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is the 50lb limit an issue if your bike box is already oversized?  Will they charge double for oversize and overweight?

Depends on the airline.  I would read, print and take a copy of the airline bicycle regs with me at check-in.  Depending on where you are flying from, the agents may or may not be aware of their latest policy.

From Delta's website:
Bicycles

Upon a payment of fee, a non-motorized touring or racing bicycles with single seats are allowed as checked baggage on most flights with the exception of some Delta Connection® carriers and other aircraft that may have different limits due to cargo constraints. Additionally, the following excess baggage fees might be applied when linear dimensions must not exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm) — no oversized fees apply.  Bicycles over 70 lbs will be charged the applicable excess weight fee. Bicycles over 100 lbs will not be accepted.

Eric Nichols

Jul 6, 2015, 3:35:30 PM7/6/15
to ran...@googlegroups.com
A friend recently asked me for advice about what to expect in the airport when traveling with a bike.  Here is what I advised.

Traveling with bike:

  1.  Pack it well (see extensive previous discussions)
  2.  Bring box to check-in
  3. Don’t volunteer any information about its contents
  4. Use Jedi Mind Trick on the attendant:  “This is not a bike”
  5. If that fails and they ask “is it a bike?”, use your own conscience to determine your reply. I’ve heard of people saying “it’s sporting equipment” or “It’s a display for a trade show” but I have not been able to do this.
  6. Choke and gag while they swipe your credit card for the extra baggage fee. Worry about how you will pay for your kid’s college.
  7. After they tag the box, they may direct you to take the box to where they handle odd-size items.
  8. Immediately leave the premises. Do not watch the TSA agent open your box and casually undo your diligent and careful packing. If necessary, go to the airport bar and drink to forget what is currently happening to your bike.
  9. Once at the destination, the bike box usually comes out in the odd-size luggage area, often separate from the regular belt.  The same place that skis, golf bags, etc. come out.  The only difference is that airline executives ski and golf, so the fees for those other large bags are non-existent.
  10. Continue to stew about the unfairness of this situation while you unpack your bike and see what damage has been wrought by the unaccountable and uncaring.
  11. Fix anything that they broke, and review that little waiver you signed that says they have no responsibility.
Eric

Rebecca Clark

Jul 6, 2015, 5:10:01 PM7/6/15
to randon

-For international flights, certain non-American airlines don't charge for bicycles.  I am flying Aer Lingus, and Virgin also does not charge for bicycles.  Aer Lingus does ask for you to call ahead and reserve one of five spots for a bicycle.

-This time, I will try a European bike bag instead of a heavy, heavy-duty, awkward, awful American plastic case.  On the return in 2011, TSA officials in Boston were particularly crude and destroyed straps on the heavy case.  If I were FedExing, the case would be great, but I'm not about to try that when heading to Europe.

Good luck to everyone else with this step!  Not an easy one, eh?

Rebecca

Eric Norris

Jul 6, 2015, 5:16:12 PM7/6/15
to Rebecca Clark, randon
Rebecca:

I’m also flying Aer Lingus, and reserved a spot for a bike. Their web site mentions a 40-Euro charge (each way) for a bicycle.

Bill Gobie

Jul 6, 2015, 5:27:52 PM7/6/15
to Eric Norris, Rebecca Clark, randon
Free bike carriage is worth investigating.... Lots of ifs and ors.

If all of your gear, bike included, fits in one bag declared as sports gear under 50 lbs then that flies free as your free baggage allowance. Dimensional limits are not mentioned but probably apply.

Sports gear in addition to your free bag costs $100/75 euros.

Bicycles are charged 50 euros. The site implies they do not have to be boxed. You have to make a bike reservation. You cannot pay the bike fee online. You pay at check in.

Good luck,

Bill

Rebecca Clark

Jul 6, 2015, 5:32:33 PM7/6/15
to gobie...@gmail.com, Eric Norris, randon
I found the Aer Lingus web info somewhat confusing and contradictory, but over the phone (ach! not in writing!) was told that my bike could be my first piece of transatlantic luggage with no charge; additional checked luggage would cost $100 a piece.  Regardless, for me, it's all cheaper than trying to fly with a US carrier out of the regional airport, whether I wind up paying an added fee or not. :-)

Rebecca

ripva...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 6:58:09 PM7/6/15
to ran...@googlegroups.com
I don't know who you are flying but usually if you are over the dimensional limit, the weight allowance goes to 70 lbs.  My bike bag always weighs under 50 lbs and if I get "caught" bringing a bike, I say it weighs less than 50 lbs and is less than 158 cm.  The Agent is usually confused by the following langauge on United's site.  I did not have to pay either direction on my last trip although it took some discussion on the way home.

I am flying to Paris on United and basically accept that it is going to cost me 2 hundred smackers but that gets me 70 lbs on the bike bag.  On the return, Air Canada will be free.

United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply

stuartp...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2015, 3:20:59 PM7/7/15
to ran...@googlegroups.com
This is always a TSA of the moment decision but recently travelled to Europe a couple of times and tried to carry seat post and seat on carry-on. I've got the TSA pre-screen (which I highly recommend) and when boarding in NYC through a TSA that had pre-screen line, had no problem with seat post. But when boarding through smaller airport that didn't have specific pre-screen line, the seat post was pulled and I had to go through process of pulling checked bag and adding. Pain. There is also the issue of potential problems if changing planes in Europe and being re-screened. I've never been able to figure out exactly why that seems to happen but if it does, it could be an issue.

I don't think a seat would ever be an issue and seat posts are easy to come by (more or less.) I'd suggest taking seat and checking seat post to be on safe side.

On different travel note, I've found when I fly with my bike that has couplers, it always makes it to destinations whereas friends on same flights with larger bike cases often end up waiting for bikes. Seems there is a max number of bike cases/oversized that will make any flight. I had Calfee retrofit couplers in my Tetra and it's been great relief.

And best advice is to just allow extra time for everything. I got caught in anti-Uber taxi strike in France a couple of weeks ago. A mess. One never knows. Best of luck.

roadijeff

Jul 8, 2015, 7:50:09 AM7/8/15
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Air Canada free?  How so?  I just checked their website and it says that a second piece of checked baggage has a $100 fee.  It also says that an oversize bag of 63-115" L+W+H carries a $100 fee.  I'm flying back from Paris on Air Canada but I expect to pay extra for my bike case.  It'll be under 50 lbs but there's no way it will meet the size requirement.

Mark

Jul 8, 2015, 9:56:54 AM7/8/15
to Greg Merritt, randon
I know I'm coming in late to this conversation, but we just got back from a European bike tour.  A few points:
You're dealing with individuals and their interpretations of rules. Just because one gate agent or TSA agent permitted something doesn't mean everyone will.  We had a u-lock in our carry on bag that made it through Amsterdam security--I seriously doubt whether it would have made it through Dallas security.  I packed wrong but got lucky.  Tools and heavy metal generally don't make it security for carryon.

I have had several bike cases that were delayed over the years.  I always put ID info with our hotel name and home address inside the case.  They were delivered, but a couple of days late.

Mark W
Sent from my iPhone