Bike Lights

Dan Driscoll

Sep 29, 2021, 12:04:32 PM9/29/21
to LSR Group, Randon, Michael Misner, Delwin Andrews
Fellow Randos,

Sad news, I hear that CYGO Lite is no longer making our beloved Expilion 850 lumen light, that many of us have relied upon for years.

A lights Run time is key, and replaceable batteries on the fly is pretty much a requirement.

I’ve done just a little bit of homework, and found Fenix to have options https://www.fenix-store.com/bikers-corner/

The BC30 V2.0 at 2200 possible lumens looks like a winner, for $89.95 with 20% off. It requires 2 batteries, but run time is up to 6 hours at 600 lumens. I find 600 lumens to be adequate for much of the night riding, and you’d have a lot more if you can spare the run time, for steep descents.

In addition you will need to buy batteries (I’d guess minimum of 4) and a charger, Fenix is out of stock on many of their 18650 batteries, but these can be bought anywhere, get as many mAh as possible. This is the same battery that we use in our scuba diving lights.

Fenix also makes a PD 35V3 single battery flashlight that could work for $97.31, but they are currently out of the ALB-10 bike mount for $16.95, that you would need to attach it to your handle bars.

What is cool about these lights as opposed to the CYGO lights is that the batteries are not proprietary and can be purchased anywhere, in addition the batteries can be charged without being in the light, but on a regular charger. In addition to that they sell a battery “3500-U” that has a charging port on the battery, so you could recharge that battery at an overnight control with just a USB cable, and not need the whole bulkier recharger, like when you are doing a self contained Super Six...

As a new customer you can get 20% off your first Fenix order, I’ve asked for a bigger Rando discount but not sure if that will happen.

That’s what I’ve found….. Would love to have some input from others about what else might be available.

Thanks, DanD

Stoychev Ultracycling

Sep 29, 2021, 12:08:18 PM9/29/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon, Michael Misner, Delwin Andrews
Fenix are excellent. I crossed the US this year with the same light. They have 5000 mAh batteries and the light is powered by two of those. You can easily swap them on the go. They even have batteries with a port on the actual until to connect the  charger

I still have previous model as well called BC21R. Comes with one battery but can be charged off power bank as you pedal and last forever.

David Hilton

Sep 29, 2021, 3:41:27 PM9/29/21
to randon
Thanks for sharing, Dan.

I'd appreciate hearing about your experience with the Fenix. I purchased the Fenix BC21R but I haven't used it in years.

It is convenient that the battery can easily be swapped.

The beam shaping was very poor compared to StVZO lights, almost indistinguishable from a circular beam.

I recall battery life being about half what was claimed, despite using a 3500 mAh cell. The output is also not regulated so the advertised lumens are only output for a short time (relative to a full discharge), and the light gets very dim at the end, almost unusably so.

---------

I have also tried the Lumintop B01. It has a better beam shape and run time, but the mount didn't work well.

The L&M Rando is better, it has a circular beam and a good run time, with the pulse running around 20h (when new), and the pulses are bright enough to get by overnight in a pinch.

---------

I have a 60W power bank (20000 mAh), which can power the light for a little under 20h, and the bank completely refills in 3h. It also doubles as a power bank for my phone and bike computer.

I haven't yet put it to the test on a brevet.

David

Andy G

Sep 29, 2021, 3:41:40 PM9/29/21
to Dan Driscoll, Randon
Instead of one bright light, I prefer 2 decent-enough lights. For my dyno rando bike, I additionally use a 300 lumen handlebar light that I mostly keep for the descents because I've been spooked far too many times by wildlife and the generator light is a bit too focused on the roadway to help with that.

On my non dyno bike, I used two battery lights around 300 lumens and place on the bars and one on a midfork eyelet. I would mostly keep both lights on low power unless there's more descending (a bit rare around me now though).

For urban riding, I liked a helmet mounted light that can be pointed towards drivers about to cross my path. Those can be very low power and still useful. I had one that just used a single AAA.

2 lights also works as a nice backup in case one didn't work well, additionally when riding with other people who might run into light/battery/dyno issues.

Andy in NH

Dan Driscoll

Sep 29, 2021, 4:15:14 PM9/29/21
to David Hilton, Randon
Wow, David thank you very much, read through once and about to read again, lot of good info, and will expand my research.

Thanks, DanD

Dan Driscoll

Sep 29, 2021, 4:22:30 PM9/29/21
to Andy G, Randon
Thank you very much, Andy

I’m a fan of 3 lights, generator, handlebar and helmet…. Have the gen and helmet light down, it’s the handle bar that I’m chasing, now that Cygo is out of the replaceable battery lite game. I’m probably much older and want double the lumens.

Appreciate you chiming in, to help, DanD

Jake Kassen

Sep 29, 2021, 4:46:42 PM9/29/21
to Dan Driscoll, Randon
Presumably you're not interested in Dynamo lights since you asked about battery ones. That said, Emily and I own about a
dozen generator hubs now, mostly the Shutter Precision variety.

Over the weekend Emily and I rode a Trace event that involved a water crossing. Well, less crossing and more submerging.
Emily kept riding through a flooded road until the water was above her top tube and lapping at the handlebar bar. I only
went as far as to have water above the wheels.

I wouldn't recommend this for dynamos but both of ours kept working as well as the front and tail lights. Emily's Sinewave
cycles light was completely submerged and it's as waterproof as they say. My B&M headlight didn't go under but my Secula
taillight did and was no worse off. I think they are the best taillights.

We didn't get in until after dark and had no problems.

We'll see how the hubs hold up in the next few weeks but I continue to be sold on the idea that a bike isn't a bike unless it
has a generator hub and dynamo lights.

Jake

Dan Driscoll

Sep 29, 2021, 4:50:01 PM9/29/21
to Jake Kassen, Randon
Much appreciated, Jake….

Yes, I’m a firm believer in gen hubs, and ride one 24/7, but the eyes are getting old and need more light ;=)

Take good care my friend, DanD
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/randon/20210929204639.20698.qmail%40server263.com.

Ian Hoffman

Sep 29, 2021, 5:38:29 PM9/29/21
to Dan Driscoll, Jake Kassen, Randon
Not sure how well or if it matches up to 'proper' rando requirements, but I have been _extremely_ pleased with lights from Outbound Lighting.

Their Road Edition light has an excellent beam pattern with a flat cutofff, and their stated runtimes are dead-on accurate. For most riding the Low setting is probably enough light, certainly when climbing.  The Medium-Low is what I run most of the time on the recumbent (since with it mounted out front, I can't reach the button to change modes while riding).  But if you want lots of light for that fast downhill, the High might as well be a car headlight (its certainly brighter than cars with old halogen lights).

They do have their own external battery packs, easily swappable.  I'll be running this setup on my recumbent at the 24hr TT in Borrego Springs next week. Since the runtime on Medium is 4 hours, I have three batteries to get through the night. Wish I could make use of the Low setting and its 12hr runtime.

-- Ian

David Hilton

Sep 29, 2021, 6:31:30 PM9/29/21
to Ian Hoffman, Dan Driscoll, Jake Kassen, Randon
If you need a brighter light and you've been running a dynamo setup, I assume you've been running something like the B&M IQ already.

The IQ-X E is going to look a little brighter than the regular IQ-X at full speed.

If you need more light, I would look at Ian's suggestion, outbound lighting's road light.

It has a well-shaped beam, reasonable run times on low, and the option for *very* bright lighting on descents. On low it should put out about 2x as much light as my IQ-X E setup, but I'm not sure how much of that is used to provide a wider beam (it could end up being a similar brightness, just much wider).

David

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "randon" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/randon/CACAxatpw9rph1%2BE2d_Gi8Fxsgo9LO3qc0EQ4LPuo_XtWThWadQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Driscoll

Sep 29, 2021, 6:46:15 PM9/29/21
to Ian Hoffman, Randon
Thanks Tons, Ian….I’m getting exactly what I’d hoped for from all of you….lot’s of good ideas.

I’ll look into this for sure, may have to try the external battery packs, it’s not what I”m used to, but just need to find room for it, 4 hours is not bad for a battery, what’s the lumens at med ?

I’m getting about 3 hours for a CYGOLite battery on medium, and they weight 56 grams and cost about $30.00 each. 12 hours = 224 grams and $120.00.

DanD

Peter Mathews

Sep 29, 2021, 9:36:19 PM9/29/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon, Michael Misner, Delwin Andrews
Interesting note and comments here Dan, which I'd like to add to.

I've run a BC30 for several years. In fact I use it every time I ride my Baron. This is a really great light for my use. I especially like that it uses 18650 cells (and I already had a stock of these and chargers). It has a good flash mode which I use for daylight running. Mine has a remote switch which actuates a very bright high beam for as long as the switch is held down. It is excellent for emergency situations and especially great for high speed descents. I find the mount is good and it switched easily between the recumbent and my Specialized Diverge.

One negative I would not is that is is quite heavy. But solidly built.

For randonnees I use an IQ-X running off a SP dyno hub. For previous lights I made a couple of chargers which run off the dyno so I can charge the 18650s during daylight running if I need to. You can buy them from places like Fastech (https://www.fasttech.com/product/1137904-miller-ml-102-universal-usb-smart-charger-version).

Enjoy your riding. In Melbourne down under we are restricted to a 15km lockdown and an nighttime curfew at present.

PeterM

Peter Mathews
p: +61 (0) 43 999 2130

PatCH

Sep 30, 2021, 11:55:49 AM9/30/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
Dan-- check out Exposure Lights. A bunch of randos use them (seemingly mainly in the UK, as they're a UK brand), and I've been meaning to get one someday. You can mount them on the handlebar, or you can get one of their nifty mounts and put it upside-down under your Garmin (though you'd not be able to use your Garmin external battery at the same time). The runtimes appear pretty decent, the beam shape seems pretty good, and you can charge with an external battery pack or what have you.

Good luck with your search!

--Patrick.

Dan Driscoll

Sep 30, 2021, 1:49:18 PM9/30/21
to PatCH, LSR Group, Randon
Thank you very much, my friend...

very interesting and different light, I’ve never seen, surfed for a while, but need to spend more time to see if the battery is just rechargeable or swappable, and dig down into run times.

Who could have know picking a new light would be so intense ;=)

DanD

Pam Wright

Sep 30, 2021, 2:25:45 PM9/30/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
Loving this dialog - thanks to you all for chiming in, which I soak it all up!

Pam Wright

Eric Nichols

Sep 30, 2021, 2:39:28 PM9/30/21
to randon
Like Dan, I will sometimes supplement my StVZO-compliant generator-powered light with a battery light that has a round beam.

The battery light serves two functions for me: as a backup headlight in case my primary light fails, and as a supplemental light in situations where more light is needed.  Those situations often involve the need to see further upward (for example, to read signage) or to the side of the road (to see critters or branches) where a StVZO light throws less light.  Or when I'm flying down a fast descent.

My current fave is the L&M Rando 500.  It'll last the night on low (125 lumens) or 3 hours on high (300 lumens).  It can also be charged while using the light, so it's possible to keep moving while replenishing the battery from a USB battery pack or a Sinewave Reactor.  That would only happen as a "Plan C" but it's nice to know it can be done.

When using a round-beam light, I'll often point it temporarily to the side or downward when encountering oncoming drivers, cyclists, pedestrians etc.  Or drape my hand over the beam.  Round beams have their place, but one needs to be mindful of how they impact oncoming road users.  One long night at PBP,  heading west while the vedettes are returning east,  is enough to make anyone a fan of a well-aimed SvtZO light.

Eric

Nelson Ralls

Sep 30, 2021, 2:42:16 PM9/30/21
to Pam Wright, Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
I've had good luck with the fenix  BC30 V2.0 mentioned by Dan, although mostly just a commuter these days.

Nelson.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lone * Star * Randonneurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Talk2LSR/1364364859.704563.1633026339629%40mail.yahoo.com.

Dan Driscoll

Sep 30, 2021, 2:52:24 PM9/30/21
to Eric Nichols, Randon
Thank you,

Extremely helpful….

DD

Jesse Molina

Sep 30, 2021, 9:44:00 PM9/30/21
to Dan Driscoll, Eric Nichols, Randon
Evening everyone,
I am fairly new to the group and I am enjoying all of the disussions about bicycle related topics, products and the stories that were mentioned. I don't even know where to begin. I love riding bicycles and I enjoy going the distance. I like putting a lot of miles in. But where and how to start beginning Randonnuering. I am excited and scared at the same time. I feel you have your beginners like myself and your knowledge more wisdom randonnuers. Any advice? I lost my dad about a month and a half ago and I really want to do something special for him. Thank you to all for your help.

Kindest Regards,

Jesse N. Molina
DD
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to randon+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Dan Driscoll

Sep 30, 2021, 10:32:52 PM9/30/21
to Jesse Molina, Randon
Jesse, Your note warms my heart.

Randos are generally an extremely welcoming group.

My quick advice would be to find the closest RBA and contact them. This info is on the RUSA website, but if you’d like help locating the closest region to your home, shoot me a note off list.

DanD

hreh...@umn.edu

Oct 1, 2021, 9:52:39 AM10/1/21
to Randon

I appreciate this conversation…I was in the market for a night descent headlight after my Light in Motion Taz failed again. Just ordered the Fenix BC30. Here’s hoping.

Elton Lance

Oct 1, 2021, 2:18:31 PM10/1/21
to hreh...@umn.edu, Randon
There's always home made!

- Elton

Eric Norris

Oct 1, 2021, 2:25:55 PM10/1/21
to Elton Lance, hreh...@umn.edu, Randon
I’ve seen similar setups at PBP. Many European riders seem to take a very “whatever works” approach to lighting.

--Eric N

On Oct 1, 2021, at 11:18 AM, Elton Lance <velom...@gmail.com> wrote:

There's always home made!

Emily O'Brien

Oct 1, 2021, 2:29:18 PM10/1/21
to Elton Lance, hreh...@umn.edu, Randon
That’s a pretty impressive rig right there. And hey, if all else fails - they’ve still got that little white reflector hanging out in front!

On Oct 1, 2021, at 2:18 PM, Elton Lance <velom...@gmail.com> wrote:

There's always home made!

<image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg>

Bill Gobie

Oct 3, 2021, 1:07:37 AM10/3/21
to Emily O'Brien, Elton Lance, hreh...@umn.edu, Randon
A friend gave me a Fenix BC35R. Observations:

The mount is easy to swap between bikes.

This is one of Fenix's lights that has a remote control. For use on a recumbent this is a great feature. The light can be out front, out of reach, and yet you can control it with the thumb buttons. The remote's cable is short so for use on a recumbent you will probably need a couple of extension USB cables.

The beam is somewhat shaped. It is not nearly as tight as a StVZO beam. The high power settings are bloody bright. The lateral and vertical spill make it good for seeing into curves and enhancing conspicuity. It is not a polite light to use on bike trails.

Battery life: I suspect this particular unit was left discharged before I got it and the battery is damaged. The estimated run time the light displays is only half what is claimed on the packaging. In fact it only runs for about half of that time, so a quarter of the claimed runtime. It dies well before the estimated run time approaches zero. This is at all power levels. It self-discharges notably fast, which may have contributed to damaging the battery.

If anyone can attest to the battery life being closer to advertised if you take care of the battery, I might consider buying a new one. This particular model is rather heavy.

Bill

Dan Driscoll

Oct 3, 2021, 6:12:17 AM10/3/21
to gobie...@gmail.com, Randon
Nice !! And helpful.

Thank you,

DanD

Jesse Molina

Oct 4, 2021, 1:11:32 PM10/4/21
to Dan Driscoll, gobie...@gmail.com, Randon
Morning Everyone,
I joined RUSA . And I am really excited. I have a lot to read and learn. Thanks to everyone who has reached out to me. Here is to riding.

Kindest Regards,

Jesse
DanD

Peter Mathews
p: +61 (0) 43 999 2130

Martin Shipp

Oct 4, 2021, 5:06:25 PM10/4/21
to Randon Subscribers
read less -- ride more

Enjoy the ride,
...Martin

Richard Stum ~ eoGEAR

Oct 4, 2021, 8:27:18 PM10/4/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
Dan and others,

I agree that for rando use one wants a light that has interchangeable batteries, so you don't have to carry 2 or 3 separate light units.

Lumen output is a good starting point, but it is not everything. As a photographer, I have tested some of the earlier Fenix bike light models. I test the light that is hitting the road, measured as an EV reading (or LUX), using a digital incident light meter. I found that the many bike lights have a very broad beam, which is great for mountain biking, but it is a waste of energy for roadie use. Instead, most roadies need a slightly narrower beam that is more powerful. That is due the higher speeds experienced on the road, compared to the trail.

Consequently, after testing several Fenix hand-held flash lights and bike lights I decided on the UC30 which puts out up to 1000 lumens. It is a very directional light but lets me see further down the road than many others I have owned or tested. To disperse the light a little to the sides, I attached a small piece of frosted photo gel to the top 3 or 4mm of the lens. And yes, it uses the non-proprietary 18650 batteries. I use the Fenix handlebar mount.

Speaking of lights, check out my blog page on why riding at night is sometimes safer than during the day.

Cheers,
Richard Stum
Living in the Mountains of Central Utah
Rap Sheet: Salt Lake Randonneurs RBA | Rando Richard—Blog | Strava | eoGEAR—Cycling Bags |

[...]

Bill Bryant

Oct 6, 2021, 9:16:22 PM10/6/21
to Jesse Molina, Dan Driscoll, gobie...@gmail.com, Randon
That's good news, Jesse. I think you'll enjoy the rides. If you haven't already, reading the Handbook on the RUSA site can help demystify some of the more unusual parts of our sport.

Cheers,
Bill Bryant
Santa Cruz Randonneurs

DanD