Re: [SIR] Re: [Randon] Charging Lights

Douglas Migden

Dec 15, 2022, 2:00:43 AM12/15/22
to sh...@ivory.org, ronal...@gmail.com, Charles Coldwell, seattl...@googlegroups.com, 'Jacques Bilinski' via randon
Sorry about the late reply on this topic. I’ve used the Sinewave Revolution USB charger rather extensively, and have also been using the new Sinewave Beacon 2 light/ charger as a product tester  for the past two years. As such, I thought the group might be interested in my experience with these Sinewave products.

I used the Revolution to charge a Garmin in tandem with an Edulux II light on 9 long cycling events totaling about 32,000 km between 2013 and 2019. The hub was a SONdelux and I  charged the Garmin via pass through charging - mostly with a first generation Anker 3000 external battery. This set-up worked great and the Revolution seemed bombproof. However, it involves a few extra wires. Plus, multiple external battery manufacturers falsely claim their external batteries allow for pass through charging when, in fact, they only allow for “pass around” charging. “Pass around” charging does not work well for our purposes.

Pass through charging allows for a constant steady flow of juice to your GPS or phone, as compared to direct charging. IMO pass through charging is the only way to go with the Revolution device, unless your situation is an emergency without other options- or you are Christoph Strasser.

I began testing the Beacon 2 in 2020 and have been using the final version since 2021. I’ve used it on 3 long events for a total of about 8000 km. For me, the Beacon 2 is much better than the Edelux II plus Sinewave Revolution combo. So much so that I will only be using the Beacon 2 for big events going forward.

The Beacon 2 beam is round rather than aspherical like the Edelux II, and some think a round beam is inferior. In my experience the Beacon’s round beam is actually better because I get a larger swath of light. Plus the Beacon has a high and low beam with the high beam being great for fast sweeping descents and the low beam working well for me in most other situations. Also, unlike the Beacon 1, you can’t charge anything while using the Beacon 2 on high beam.

IMO the Beacon 2 is plenty robust and weatherproof , and it uses less wires than other light/ charger combos. The Beacon light can also be powered with either a dynamo or external battery- or both. Yes, that’s right- dual power to the light at the same time. See the Sinewave Cycles website for other Beacon 2 features. With the Beacon 2 I can keep a Garmin 1030 Plus charged- via direct charging- through a 4000 km
event without hardly ever needing an additional wall charge. And I also always keep my headlamp on low beam during daylight, which reduces the charger output.

Doug

On Nov 26, 2022, at 10:53 AM, sh...@ivory.org wrote:

I have used the Sinewave Beacon (which is their light with an integrated charger) for many tens of thousands of miles.

I don’t remember when I got my first one, but I have them on all of my bicycles now.  Unlike the light I replaced with them (B+M Luxos U), I have never had one fail for any reason.

My only complaint about it is that the beam doesn’t have a cutoff, like the good German headlights that comply with StVZO regulations.

For this reason, I wouldn’t mount it on a fork crown, decaleur or lowrider rack if you plan to use it on shared use trails.

Combined with a SON 28 hub dynamo, which is a little better at slower speeds than the SONdelux, I am able to keep a Samsung S21 Ultra at 100% on a loaded touring bike, and, if I am paying attention, I can do it for both my phone and my Garmin computer by switching back and forth when one reaches 100%.

On my road bike, I use a SONdelux hub, and I can keep my phone at 100% even with the light on, in charger priority mode, if the route isn’t too hilly.  In this mode, the light flickers a little, which is just fine during the day, but not acceptable at night.

The only problem: I have had one on backorder for six months that *might* be here by spring.

  • Shaun