Winter Clothing

John L Hughes

Jan 6, 2022, 10:16:22 AM1/6/22
to randon
Group,

I live in Fraser, Colorado, one of the coldest spots in the country with sub-zero temps at night continuing into the morning. I have a variety of winter gear for both cycling with temps  down to the teens and cross-country skiing with temps down to single digits. Insulation is provided by dry air so you want clothing that is loose enough to trap air.

As others have pointed out layering is the key: a base layer to wick away sweat, one or more insulating layers and then a wind / rain outer layer. This applies to the whole body, not just the torso. For cold temps I start with a thin base layer for my upper body, a wool jersey, thermal vest or thermal jacket and a coat. On my legs a thin base layer, cycling shorts and tights of varying weight depending on the temps. On my hands a light pair of glove liners, then regular cycling gloves or winter gloves or warmer winter lobster gloves and occasionally overmitts. On my head a neck gaiter covering my forehead, ears and back of my head and a thermal cap of varying weight. I have a winter helmet with the ventilation holes covered with reflective tape. Depending on the temps I may also wear a neck gaiter to pull up over my face if necessary. Feet are a little tricker: start with booties and/or toe or foot warmers between the socks and shoes (not on bare skin - the wamers get hot enough to burn you! and if necessary larger shoes to accommodate thicker socks.

I highly recommend Boure Sportswear in Durango, CO. Drew Boure makes a thermal vest and a thermal jacket with a wind-resistant front and 3 handy pockets on the back. He has wool jerseys, coats and tights of varying weights. I've been wearing Drew's clothing since he started the company in 1988. Boure is a classic American small business with just two employees. Drew designs the clothing, tests the designs, cuts the fabric and a seamstress sews the gear. Drew handles the orders and shipping.  MTB racing champ Ned Overend also tests the clothing. You can contact Drew with questions at bouresp...@gmail.com.

Stay warm stay well!
John Hughes
Fraser, CO 80442

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 10:53 AM <ran...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"ma...@muthomas.com" <ma...@muthomas.com>: Jan 04 10:45AM -0800

I have a modern update which I like better:
A US Postal Service mailer, made out of Tyvek-type woven plastic.
They're free <wink> at any US Post Office. Take 2 or 3 if you like.....
Just cut off the adhesive flap, use a sharp knife to cut the folds on one
long side and one short side.

Save the adhesive flap. Cut into 4x6 cm pieces (leaving the backing on).
They make excellent tire boots and the adhesive helps to hold them in place
while one puts everything back together.

Mar
On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 2:03:35 PM UTC-8 Mitch H wrote:

Susan Otcenas <susan....@gmail.com>: Jan 04 11:40AM -0800

I think this is the most quintessentially rando thread I’ve read all year.

Sent from my iPhone

jinu...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2022, 2:47:09 PM1/6/22
to randon
Hey John - what types of base layer are you using for your legs?  Long underwear type stuff?