Rivet Saddles

Eric Peterson

Jul 24, 2022, 9:32:36 AM7/24/22
to randon
I am now using a Rivet Independence saddle.
It's working out OK but I have some questions.
I've tried posting on the FB group, and also sending a message on their website.
Crickets.
Does anyone know how I can get in touch with them?

Thanks,
Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Jul 27, 2022, 11:59:59 AM7/27/22
to randon
I received a number of private responses to my post.
Everyone recommended that I contact Deb Banks directly, which I did, and she responded after a few days with answers to my questions.

The back story on all this is that after probably 17 years of riding Terry saddles, this year I found them extremely uncomfortable to sit on after 50-60 miles.
Needless to say this made it quite difficult to complete longer rides.
I got a bike fit and a saddle recommendation for the Rivet, which has worked out so far on rides up to 200 miles. So fingers crossed.
Other saddles I plan to trying out are Selle Anatomica and Brooks Cambium.

Thanks for the assistance,
Eric

Georgi Stoychev

Jul 27, 2022, 12:48:49 PM7/27/22
to Eric Peterson, randon
Great to hear Eric. I am Infinity Seat Ambassador. Ping me if you want to give them a shot. There is a reason why more than 20 racers use them during Race Across America and races such as Trans Am, Transcontinental. Many Randonneurs are now using them as well

I raced across US last year 3500 miles and had no problems at all

Georgi Stoychev

Eric Peterson

Jul 27, 2022, 12:55:56 PM7/27/22
to Georgi Stoychev, randon
Hello Gerogi,

Alas, I tried the Infinity saddle and it did not work for me. I had pretty extreme discomfort where my posterior contacted the outer rails of the saddle.
I know two cyclists who use them, one said they only worked for him after he wore shorts / bibs with extra-wide padding.
The other has gotten his to work only by a trial-and-error process of making small 1mm adjustments.

It seems this saddle works for some but not for others.

Eric

Lee Legrand

Jul 27, 2022, 12:58:25 PM7/27/22
to Eric Peterson, Georgi Stoychev, randon
Aren't leather saddles better since they tend to mold to your bum?

Georgi Stoychev

Jul 27, 2022, 1:01:22 PM7/27/22
to Eric Peterson, randon
Understood and makes sense. They only perform well if set up correctly and used with the thinnest and widest possible padding. I use the Endura PRO SL bibs . Contact points are super personal and what works for one might not work for another rider. All the best
--
Georgi Stoychev

Eric Peterson

Jul 27, 2022, 1:07:49 PM7/27/22
to Lee Legrand, Georgi Stoychev, randon
FYI - It was not my intention to open up a saddle discussion.
I just needed to get in contact with Rivet, which I was able to do.

Best.
Eric

Eric Norris

Jul 27, 2022, 1:16:59 PM7/27/22
to Lee Legrand, Eric Peterson, Georgi Stoychev, randon
Great question! I’m a firm believer in leather saddles. All but one of my bikes have leather saddles, mostly Brooks B17 (one has a Rivet saddle). The one bike that doesn’t have a leather saddle might be converted to leather at some point.

Leather saddles work differently from padded saddles. The comfort comes from the flex in the saddle, and (as you note) from the ability of the saddle to conform to your anatomy. Some non-leather saddles, such as Brooks’ Cambium, use the same principle.

Padded saddles rely mostly on the padding, with various levels of flex in the supporting shell. Having learned to set up and sit on leather saddles, I find padded versions uncomfortable. Some riders also find that natural leather is more comfortable when it gets hot, allowing moisture to dissipate in ways that the often synthetic covers on padded saddles won’t.

An excellent argument in favor of leather saddles is that they’ve been around for so long with virtually no changes. The Brooks B17 you buy today is essentially the same as the one a cyclist 100 years ago would have found at their local bike shop. The B17 has been called a “perfect thing” for just this reason—a classic design that landed near perfection when it was created.

But (no pun intended) everyone’s rear end is different, and in the end (no pun intended) the best saddle is the one that you like to sit on.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Andrew Adere

Jul 27, 2022, 2:40:34 PM7/27/22
to randon
Since we've got this unintentional saddle discussion opened up I will say that while my Brooks C13 carved was great for a couple years I moved to a Fizik Adaptive Argo saddle recently (3d printed) and it's way better. I'm sure the same goes for the Specialized 3d printed saddles, too.

Andrew

Bill Olsen

Jul 27, 2022, 8:50:53 PM7/27/22
to ran...@googlegroups.com

I have found that saddles (almost any model and any design) get more comfortable as I loose weight and reduce the amount of fat on my lard ass! (But as Eric had previously stated, YMMV.)

Bill

Pam Wright

Jul 28, 2022, 10:15:23 AM7/28/22
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Miss'n ya Bill!!!

I know it's unintentional dialog, but I was going to try an Infinity as well.  2 of my rando buddies are loving them.  Kinda glad to hear from Eric they don't work for everyone, so I won't feel like a lone wolf if I have the same experience.

And for those that don't know, we can put a most of the blame on Bill Olsen's shoulders for anyone chasing RUSA Cups.  He started it on his own as a personal goal to do each and every year.  I still remembering hearing about his "lofty goal" during a Stampede in a land far far away :-)

Pam Wright

hreh...@umn.edu

Jul 28, 2022, 10:18:03 AM7/28/22
to ran...@googlegroups.com

+1 on disliking the infinity saddle!

Lee Legrand

Jul 28, 2022, 11:04:54 AM7/28/22
to Bill Olsen, randon
The fat in your bumm should provide cushion for the ride. Maybe you dont collect fat in the butt as much as the rest of your body and it is with this with, you feel more pain cushioning is not optimal with your weight. As you lose weight, fat removal is overall might vary in the rate of loss throughout the body.