Tandem for randonneuring?

Monkey Boy

Jun 2, 2009, 10:24:41 PM6/2/09
to randon
My wife & I are buying a tandem this fall or winter for the 2010
season. We both ride brevets and permanents every weekend.
Durability and dependability are key. We're not planning on riding a
tandem exclusively.
Any advice on frame, components and wheels would be welcomed.

Dr Codfish

Jun 2, 2009, 11:16:06 PM6/2/09
to randon
Monkey Boysaid:
"Any advice on frame, components and wheels would be welcomed."

We have a tandem (DaVinci) but Mrs C does not rando. I have no
specific equipment recommendations but if you have not yet discovered
it consider tandem@hobs. A chat list where people with lots of
experience, more opinins and a lack of reserve will fill your ear full
of recommendations. Well, maybe one recomendation: The wheels on our
DaVinci were built White Industries, they've been great for us.

Yr Pal Dr Codfish

GJones

Jun 3, 2009, 2:19:54 AM6/3/09
to randon
My wife and I have been riding a tandem since 2006 on brevets.

Our ride report from PBP on a tandem is here
http://www.pchrandos.com/Ride%20Reports/GregLisaJones_-_2007PBP.pdf
(Special thanks to Dan Driscoll for helping us out at PBP.)

We started out the summer before PBP, just after coming back from the
Vancouver Island 1,000k on singles, not really sure if we would like
it on brevets. We have been riding it almost exclusively since - (I
have done a few rides lately on my own due to her having an injury.)
While I understand that a tandem is not for everyone, we really enjoy
it, and your single bikes might end up like ours - full of dust with
flat tires.

Our first Tandem was a Santana Sovereign, not a bad bike, but I found
the unique sizes of the Santana very frustrating when trying to make
small adjustments for fit. You have to buy nearly everything from
Santana and if they don't have what you want - you are screwed as all
the other parts you can find on the internet won't fit. The marketing
stuff about the Santana and why they have unique parts is simply BS.
Also for some reason the Santana parts cost just a little bit more...

We have since purchased a custom Steve Rex - a bike builder in
Sacramento CA that has ridden several PBP's and understands what a
rando needs without explanation. It is a steel bike and its heavy,
but it is very comfortable and we can descend at speeds around 50 mph
feeling like I could take my hands off the bars - if my wife would not
kill me first. Very smooth and stable at speed. (Something we asked
for.) I noticed that there were two Ericson tandems ridden by teams
from the Seattle area that attracted a lot of attention at PBP. My
wife was enamored with the blue one with honjo fenders.

There was also a custom titanium Lightspeed that was very nice and a
custom titanium Willet (SP?) that had been used on RAAM that was
impressive, but one of a kind.

There were also at least two Rex's like our new one.

We went to Paris with the Santana that did not have couplers.
Possible, could do it again, would not want to due to the expense and
hassle of getting the bike on the plane and public transit. The Rex
has couplers.

If you are a light weight team you can consider a full carbon frame,
otherwise keep in mind that the largest tire size you can use may be
limited to a 28. We run 30 or 32 exclusively as they are much more
comfortable, and I believe safer for the increased weight. We have
suffered a front tire blowout on a 28 going down a 20% grade - not
fun.

We have both rim brakes and a rear disk. The captain works the rim
brakes and the stoker works the rear disk when descending. This takes
some practice but is the best way to go if you have an experienced
stoker - if you are going to have someone inexperienced ride as stoker
at some point - don't let them use the brake - take it off or disable
it - and don't go down long steep hills (mountains). I have used
every other setup for having two hands and three brakes - I prefer
having the stoker use the disk brake for steep technical downhills.
She scrubs much of the speed off on the straights just before entering
the turn, I can then modulate the brakes for the final run into, and
if necessary, through, the turn.

For the long rides, do some upper body workouts - the captain will
need to have a strong core, shoulders and arms, especially if you have
a powerful stoker.

Check when you will get your bike after you place your order - it
might take longer than you think and you may not have it on time for
your rides.

Lastly, I can not speak highly enough of doing an adventure ride like
PBP on a tandem. It is truly a wonderful shared experience. On the
other hand, I understand when people say that a tandem is a divorce
machine. They also say that a tandem will take your relationship,
what ever direction it is headed in, faster. I hope yours is headed
in the right direction.

If you ever consider doing any of the PCH Randos rides, look us up.

russell...@yahoo.com

Jun 3, 2009, 9:38:05 AM6/3/09
to randon
http://www.precisiontandems.com/pbp99.htm

http://www.precisiontandems.com/pbp95.htm

These folks used a Santana in 1995 and a Co-Motion Big Al in 1999.
Doesn't really talk about the bike or how it did on PBP, just that
they used these models.

Larry Powers

Jun 3, 2009, 10:05:22 AM6/3/09
to bikep...@yahoo.com, ran...@googlegroups.com
I guess this depends on what you want to spend.  I have a C'dale tandem that my wife and I use for touring.  I have seen them being used on brevets and I would have no problem using one.  I always felt these were a good value for the dollar and would be a good bike to try tandeming on.  Depending on your size these can be found used fairly often.

Trek also makes what looks like a good entry level tandem (entry level on a tamdem is usually 105 quality or better) but I do not have experience with it.

If you want to dive in head first you can step up to Co Motion, Santana etc.  I have a Bilenky tandem and if you go with a stock tig welded frame the prices are pretty competitive and you will get it custom fit.

Good luck.

Larry "my wife is to smart to ride brevets" Powers

"just when you think that you've been gyped the bearded lady comes and does a double back flip" - John Hiatt

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:24:41 -0700
> Subject: [Randon] Tandem for randonneuring?
> From: bikep...@yahoo.com
> To: ran...@googlegroups.com

Bill Bryant

Jun 3, 2009, 10:06:09 AM6/3/09
to russell...@yahoo.com, randon
In 1999, the Davis Bike Club earned the trophy for most tandems at PBP (8,
if I recall correctly.) Lois and I were among them. The club had tandem
teams of all abilities and the wide range of finishing times reflected that.
The conclusion that I reached was that the type or brand of tandem didn't
really matter much, only that it fit the riders well and was reliable. After
that, what mattered most was the riders' fitness, sense of teamwork, and
determination to finish. Oh yeah, comfy saddles were high on the list of
"must have" items; it is harder to squirm to find the saddle's "sweet spot"
on a tandem than on a solo bike during a 1200k. Other than the saddle issue,
Lois and I think PBP is a terrific tandem ride. We've both done PBP on solo
bikes, but our year doing it together on the tandem remains a special
memory. The only downside that I can see is that if one rider gets really
sick, then it is likely the pair of riders must stop. (This happened on our
local 600k brevet that year, so we had to scramble and find another event to
qualify, no small thing.)

For more info, I think Don Hamilton's advice on using tandems for
randonneuring in the RUSA handbook remains an excellent resource. Check it
out if you haven't already done so.

Bill Bryant
Santa Cruz Randonneurs

On 6/3/09 6:38 AM, "russell...@yahoo.com" <russell...@yahoo.com>

russell...@yahoo.com

Jun 3, 2009, 10:15:46 AM6/3/09
to randon

On Jun 3, 9:05 am, Larry Powers <lapower...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I guess this depends on what you want to spend.  I have a C'dale tandem that my wife and I use for touring.  I have seen them being used on brevets and I would have no problem using one.  I always felt these were a good value for the dollar and would be a good bike to try tandeming on.  Depending on your size these can be found used fairly often.
>
> Trek also makes what looks like a good entry level tandem (entry level on a tamdem is usually 105 quality or better) but I do not have experience with it.

Some friends in my area ride a Trek road tandem from a few years ago
and they seem very happy with it. Seems to work fine on all the rides
I see them on. But Trek is no longer making tandems beginning this
year so any Trek tandem would be used.

> If you want to dive in head first you can step up to Co Motion, Santana etc.  I have a Bilenky tandem and if you go with a stock tig welded frame the prices are pretty competitive and you will get it custom fit.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Larry "my wife is to smart to ride brevets" Powers
>
> "just when you think that you've been gyped the bearded lady comes and does a double back flip" - John Hiatt
>
> > Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:24:41 -0700
> > Subject: [Randon] Tandem for randonneuring?
> > From: bikephe...@yahoo.com
> > To: ran...@googlegroups.com
>
> > My wife & I are buying a tandem this fall or winter for the 2010
> > season. We both ride brevets and permanents every weekend.
> > Durability and dependability are key. We're not planning on riding a
> > tandem exclusively.
> > Any advice on frame, components and wheels would be welcomed.

> Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®.http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM...

Pam Wright

Jun 3, 2009, 10:42:43 AM6/3/09
to randon
Now, what this new tandem couple ain't sayin is they're already fast...very fast and with all this input, they'll get some high-powered speed racer an now we'll never get to ride with them again cuz they'll be at the controls as they're opening! :)

Pam Wright

Jun 3, 2009, 11:14:00 AM6/3/09
to Monkey Boy, randon
John and I have done lots of rides on tandem, including a few long brevets
:-) I really love doing brevets on the tandem, because among others things,
one is always guaranteed company, there is a great sense of teamwork and
accomplishment, navigational duties can be handled easily from the rear, and
again, one is always guaranteed company.

The downsides are that one is always guaranteed company and tandems are hard
on components. In the event of a mechanical, the other partner can't just
ride off to get help, although one can hitchhike off to get help :-)

As Bill pointed out, if one partner gets sick or injured, the other is
likely forced out. On the flip side, if one is feeling less than stellar,
the other can compensate for a period of time. It is very important for the
relationship (whether it is romantic or not) to agree on the same goals, and
just how far to push. For us, we know there will be pain at times, but we
will not push to the point of long term injury, or hospitalization. For some
teams, the concern about letting the other person down, can lead to such
issues.

We have two tandems currently, one we use for racing, hill climbs, fast club
rides and the odd short brevet with good weather; the other is for touring,
travelling, longer brevets and rain.

The race tandem is light with light wheels and skinny tires, has minimal
carry capacity for gear, sports no fenders and no generator.

Our other tandem has heavier wheels, wider tires, generator lights, fenders,
rack, and couplers. The couplers make it much less hassle to get to far away
events. 26 inch wheels pack into the cases easier and make for a more
bulletproof tandem wheel without having to use excessive # of spokes :-).
There should be no need to explain the generator hub :-) There are two
people on a tandem, so you need a wee bit more carry capacity for gear.
Fenders just make the rainy rides more pleasant. Many tandems are designed
with enough clearance to handle wider tires and fenders. The wider tires are
in part to handle the additional weight, but also provide greater comfort
for the stoker. I also have a suspension seatpost on this bike.

The most important thing is fit. Proper reach for the captain is very
important. Ideally the captain should not have to manhandle the bike for
control, but I believe the tandem puts a bit more stress on the upper body
for the captain, so getting this part right is important. Captain often want
a bit more standover clearance to help with starting and stopping, and
holding the bike up while stokers get on and off.

The stoker will likely not be able to replicate his/her single bike
position, but should be comfortable. Stokers will likely sit more upright
due to something being in the way :-) This also contributes to more bum
issues, so back to wide tires and susp posts.

One thing to consider is relative sizes between the partners. If you are
close in size and want the option of trading places, you may want to look at
adjustable stems.

Both our tandems are co-motions. We are very satisfied with the quality of
their bikes. We like the handling characteristics. They know how to do
couplers right. We have a Phil Wood hub in back and Schmidt up front. We
stick with fairly old-fashioned reliable components - no carbon fiber on
this bike. We always carry a spare folding tire and a few tubes, as well as
standard tools, and most importantly the knowledge to fix what might go
wrong, and the patience to deal with it when it does.

pamela blalock pgb at blayleys.com
care-free in watertown, ma http://www.blayleys.com

Amy M. Harman

Jun 3, 2009, 12:03:33 PM6/3/09
to Monkey Boy, randon
I've done a few brevets on tandems and a few fleches - fit is even more key. If your lucky and you fit a ready built bike out of the box then great - also talk to the builders they will do some custom work for you I know Ed Felker had a custom Co-motion built to accept wider then 28" tires and I think it has disc's front and rear which are GREAT on tandems for descending less chance of overheating a rim and popping a tube. I've seen some great REX bikes both tandems and singles - also consider Stephen Bilenky - they built Patrick and Jenny a beautiful 650b tandem that they had designed with input from Jan Heine and I know someone else out there has a new blue one that was even built with tabs for PBP numbers :-) - we laughed when we saw that at the custom bike show last year. Build it sturdy - tandems eat equipment at a quicker rate then your singles.
Amy

Jun 3, 2009, 12:45:24 PM6/3/09
to randon
You two do brevets and permanents every weekend! wow.

Jason and I have a co-motion steel tandem that we like a lot. We,
however, do not do a lot of distance rides on it anymore. I like
200ks on the tandem, but after that distance the discomfort factor and
saddle issues become a little too large. I would like to be able to
do longer distance on the tandem, since the tandem makes me faster.
(It slows down my husband considerably.) If you are already doing a
brevet a weekend, then you two might have already have butts of steel
and the tandem may pose no new saddle issues at all. :)

The tandems are, in general, built to be reliable and dependable.
However, you will go through tires, chains and drive chains remarkable
quickly. Like Pamela Blalock, we also always carry a spare tire. We
have only needed it twice.

I highly recommend a thudbuster seatpost for the stoker. We became
actually faster when we put this seatpost on. I ended up spending
less energy constantly de-weighting the saddle and was able to be more
comfortable for much longer.

We have regular reach rim brakes in the front and a disk in the back.
The bike has very good stopping power. We don't do loaded tours, so
we didn't get a drum brake. We have stopped to allow the disk to cool
only once and that was during a long steep descent off mt hamilton on
a hot day. Team weight is important for brake and wheel
consideration. Jason and I weigh 290 lbs combined (not including bike).

We have a wound-up fork. The fork rides smoothly and descends well.
Co-motions more stable steel fork may have been a better choice for
distance riding. Jason has a hard time at low speeds controlling the
tandem. He gets quite tired. Tandems are hard on the captain's upper
body. For distance riding I would recommend a more slow speed stable
fork. We have considered swapping out the forks, but we are pretty
happy with the wound-up.

Wheels: we run 36 spoke in front and back with white industry hubs.
(145 rear spacing) Dyad and mavic cxp33 rims. These wheels haven't
given us problems. You may want sturdier wheels, depending on team
weight and how much gear you want to carry. We run 25 mm tires, which
is what I run on my single. I would like to ride bigger tires on the
tandem, but components on a tandem are a compromise between 2 people
and Jason at first wanted smaller tires. I would like to run at least
28s.

For Jason and me, the biggest block to tandem riding is comfort.
Right now we are comfortable for about 200k, but we are uncomfortable
at 300k or a 200 miler. We are fine with this level of comfort, since
I have more confident riding on my own. Get a good fit and try hard
to make the bike comfortable.

Good luck.

lisa-susan mcphate
oakland, ca

Monkey Boy

Jun 5, 2009, 10:31:15 PM6/5/09
to randon
Thanks to all that shared their tandem expertise. My wife & I have
decided to purchase a used CoMotion Supremo from close friends in our
Rando club here in Texas. They recently bought a Calfee Dragonfly and
decided to part with their CoMotion. The Supremo is the tandem we
would have purchased new, so we feel very fortunate they were kind
enough to part with their former main ride. We will have conventional
wheels, Campy Chorus 10-speed & FSA SL-K carbon cranks. We’ll add a
Schmidt hub & Edelux light. Again, thanks to all that took their
time to help.
Val & Robin Phelps
Lone Star Randonneurs

WillemJ

Jun 9, 2009, 2:41:44 PM6/9/09
to randon
If comfort is an issue, for heavens sake use wider tyres. For similar
circumstances, a tandem really needs significantly wider tyres (been
there, done it). If not, it is desperately uncomfortable, and you risk
far more snake bites, component failures etc. With etrto 622 wheels (I
suppose that is what you have) I would not want to go below a 35 mm
Pasela. You are also likely to go faster on wider tyres.....
Willem