Need help downloading maps to older Garmin GPS device

Eric Peterson

Aug 20, 2021, 8:23:16 PM8/20/21
to randon
In the past I have downloaded maps to use with MapSource from this link::
It was quite easy to use as I could download maps for individual states which were easily installed since one of the options was a Windows BaseCamp/MapSource installer.

However the site is now in a state where it is not possible to download maps anymore because of a server issue.

Can anyone provide me with a suitable alternative for downloading maps for installing in MapSource? I am using MapSource as a tool to download the map information to an older Garmin GPS device (eTrex Vista HCx)

Thanks,
Eric Peterson

Ian Hennessey

Aug 21, 2021, 4:49:17 AM8/21/21
to randon

Andy G

Aug 23, 2021, 12:02:18 AM8/23/21
to Eric Peterson, randon
I used that site for maps before, so it's too bad they are having issues. It says the current queue is over 200 days long, likely if the server isn't actually processing anything. I do see that it lets you download individual regions though, so selecting my state (NH) shows about 10 links to .img files that could be loaded to the Garmin, just annoyingly slow to do so.

Before that site, I used gpsfiledepot.com. It's not as freshly updated, but has several mapset options for each state, which my old eTrexes could fit a couple of at a time. For example: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/nh has Northeast Topo and the Planimetric maps with easy installers.

mickeg

Aug 23, 2021, 7:30:19 AM8/23/21
to randon
I have this in my list of favorites in my browser, but I do not recall if I ever used it or how it works.

The sites below do not offer the Open Streets cycle layer.

I have used this site for automotive (non-biking) type maps.  This site might disappear in Feb 2022.  (I plan to update several of my maps in Jan next year.)

Sometimes I use this site for topo maps.  Contours are a bit weird, they are based on metric values, so contour intervals are not the expected multiples of ten or twenty feet.

Eric Peterson

Feb 22, 2022, 1:08:14 PMFeb 22
to mickeg, randon
Hi Mickeg.

I tried most of the sites mentioned above and did have much success.
In my continued search I stumbled across the original DC Rainmaker post and upon careful re-reading found that the site you mention was listed as an alternate in that post to the original site (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/).
So I tried this alternate site and it seems to work fine:
I was able to download a map image for Georgia that I think will cover the region for an upcoming 300k brevet.
It works differently though in that I could only get it to create an image file to download directly to my GPS.
The original site created a Windows executable that would first install maps in MapSouce, which then was used to download a subset of the maps to my GPS.
So now I am still missing the piece where I can load maps into MapSource.

Eric

mickeg

Feb 22, 2022, 4:06:43 PMFeb 22
to randon
For mapsource purposes you might have to use a different basemap, like the topo map that was the last link in my previous post.

I have not learned of anything new since my prior post.