Try the new RUSA Geosearch

Jake Kassen

Feb 20, 2023, 11:43:58 AM2/20/23
to randon, Randonneurs USA
Hello RUSA/Rando lists-

Several years ago I wrote a tool for finding RUSA events and permanents near any address or zipcode. With the revision of the perms program a few years ago, I've rewritten the tool to incorporate the map of the perms route and added some more features and data. Try it out!

https://rusa.jkassen.org

If searching for perms it will display all the routes nearest you on a map. Click a route line or the name from a list to see the perm highlighted with some additional data (# of finishers, amount of dirt, time limits, etc). You'll also see the approx control locations.

Since riders don't need to start perms from the start control (or any control), it will show you the nearest cue of the perm route to your searched location. I was surprised to find some perms went closer to my house then I realized. This is also helpful for finding nearby perms when traveling.

If searching for Events you'll see a map of the starting location of the route selected if the region has designated a route. You can download an iCal (ics) file to add just that event to your calendar or subscribe to the region's calendar so their events will sync in your calendar application.

I think it's best on desktop but should work on mobile too.

I'm always interested in feedback. I hope people find it useful.

Jake

Dan Driscoll

Feb 20, 2023, 12:16:11 PM2/20/23
to Jake Kassen, randon, Randonneurs USA
Jake,

Thank you so very much for your Amazing Wizardry !!!!

I’ve been using this tool for years and absolutely Love it, it’s a required resource for me, when planing out trips, working to pick up some new states for American Explorer and looking for a test ride route prior to an out of town event.

Thanks again for your continued efforts to keep the RUSA website the Brightest Star in the Rando Universe.

DanD