Hitch racks

cyclotou...@yahoo.com

Nov 13, 2023, 7:11:22 AM11/13/23
to randon
I'm planning to switch from a Thule roof rack to a hitch-mounted rack for bike transport. Any suggestions for racks that play well with fenders and rear rack? Other factors: 1.125 class 1 hitch, and needs to also fit fat bike tires.

David

Eric Nichols

Nov 13, 2023, 3:58:17 PM11/13/23
to randon
I did a bunch of research on this recently, and eventually selected the Thule EasyFold XT hitch rack.  It holds the bike by the seat tube, down tube, or top tube.  The hold point is gentle but firm and is highly adjustable. Two bikes can have any combination of fenders and racks.  It even holds my fatbike with the optional longer wheel straps. It's very solid and folds up to a small package when stored.

Eric N

Ted Shwartz

Nov 13, 2023, 4:34:33 PM11/13/23
to Eric Nichols, randon
FYI - I am a big fan of 1up-USA racks

The racks only grip the tires, and not the frames. If you have fenders or racks on then you order the Wheel Stop to cradle fendered tires from the bottom side, rather than crushing fenders/racks. See below

The Wheel Stops have worked well my randonneur bicycles, and also my wife’s fendered E-Bike.

FYI - The longevity and appearance of their aluminum racks wears much better over time compared to Powder Coated racks

Customer service has been great. They are a USA company, and all domestically produced

cyclotou...@yahoo.com

Nov 14, 2023, 5:37:02 PM11/14/23
to randon
Ted,

With the Wheel Stop on the 1-up rack do you skip using the arm that would ordinarily grip the front tire completely?

David