good stuff!

Bryan Clark

Jul 29, 2010, 12:38:13 AM7/29/10
to raindr...@googlegroups.com
I spent some time over the past two days working more on raindrop
sketches.

I have to say the API browser is pretty awesome. It was a little clunky
to get started with but now that I understand it more it works really
well. I've got some comments on it.

* The "Try it" links aren't obvious. Even though there is the message
on the right hand side you read that at first when there are no try it
links around. I was thinking we could make the link more obvious and
possibly also linkify the examples / URL.

* The Change URL didn't make any sense to me, I think that would be more
understandable as a select/options element.

* The close option for the try sections isn't too obvious, I think that
area just needs some styling

In general it's working really well.

I did some more work on the twitter sketch.
http://127.0.0.1:5000/sketches/twitter.html

It should be looking a lot better now and actually getting photos and
names for people, there was a slight bug in the contact function that is
fixed now.

There's a new file called tag-a-person in the sketches that I added the
other day and put some more work into today.
http://127.0.0.1:5000/sketches/tag-a-person.html

The page gives you an autocomplete search field for finding people and
allows you to tag those people with an autocomplete tagging entry. I
ran into a couple issues which Shane helped me fix.

A piece that sketch is hung up on right now is that contacts don't seem
to return their tags so I need to figure out a way to query either for
tags on a contact or if I can augment the contacts API return to include
tags.

This afternoon I fixed up the rdapi/inflow sketch so that it's working
as expected again. It was using the old groups API which is deprecated
now so I changed it over to ask for tags=personal which is not perfect
but pretty good.
http://127.0.0.1:5000/sketches/inflow.html

Try out the sketches to see if they work for you!

Cheers,
~ Bryan

James Burke

Jul 30, 2010, 8:52:45 PM7/30/10
to raindr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Bryan Clark <cla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to say the API browser is pretty awesome.  It was a little clunky to
> get started with but now that I understand it more it works really well.
>  I've got some comments on it.
>
> * The "Try it" links aren't obvious.  Even though there is the message on
> the right hand side you read that at first when there are no try it links
> around.  I was thinking we could make the link more obvious and possibly
> also linkify the examples / URL.

I changed up the styling a bit to try to address this. Pull to see the
latest. It is a bit tricky to hyperlink the examples since the IDs may
not match your local system. Those examples come from the api docs,
they are hard coded.

I put in a funky font for the header areas, you or Andy can probably do better.

> * The Change URL didn't make any sense to me, I think that would be more
> understandable as a select/options element.

I changed this to be a select element.

> * The close option for the try sections isn't too obvious, I think that area
> just needs some styling

I also applied more styling to the close button.

Give a holler if you think there should be other changes. I am in the
middle of converting the JSON response data to be displayed via a
recursive template, but I do not have expanding/collapsing of sections
in there yet. But it shoudl display more of the data now vs the old
component.

James