'clip' is not recognized

Phil Duby

Jul 15, 2011, 2:08:34 PM7/15/11
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
My Environment:
Windows XP SP3 running as a VM under VirtualBox
This is a bare VM,  It has SP3 and updates (Except IE), but not much else.  Most optional windows components have been removed (only accessories, IE (6), Internet Gateway Device Discovery, Update Root Certivicates kept)
ff5
railsinstaller-1.2.0

After install, I got the expected prompts to complete the git configuration.  When I supplied the email address, I got the 'Setting user.email to' message, then this message

'clip' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

That appears to be the program to copy content to the clipboard.  I get the same error when I run 'publickey', and the clipboard stays empty.  Clipboard itself is working (cut and paste inside notepad)

I did a search of the whole drive for 'clip'.  The only things that looked close were rdclip, clipsrv, clipbrd in the windows system32 folder.  Only some eclipse related files matched from the railsinstaller folder.

Is something missing from railsinstaller, or from my minimal windows install?

--
Phil

Luis Lavena

Jul 15, 2011, 2:12:38 PM7/15/11
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Phil Duby <mmerli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 'clip' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.
>

> Is something missing from railsinstaller, or from my minimal windows
> install?

clip.exe is part of Windows, but seems is missing in XP.

The following two articles links to the same website:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/copy-and-paste-from-windows-xp-pros-command-prompt-straight-to-the-clipboard/521
http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/copy-dos-command-line-output-clipboard-clip-exe/2506/

So you can download clip.exe (inside clip.zip) from here:
http://www.petri.co.il/software/clip.zip

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Phil Duby

Jul 15, 2011, 3:10:33 PM7/15/11
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Perfect!

The problem is win XP Pro itself.

railsinstaller probably can not legitimately distribute clip.exe, but perhaps it should check for its existence, and let people know they need to get it from someplace else.

Got the file, no more error.

Thanks Luis.

--
Phil