Server

1 view

Pat Allan

Aug 6, 2008, 8:16:23 AM8/6/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

One piece of equipment that is pretty important at Rails Camps is a
server - to serve a clone of rubyforge gems (and perhaps github
gems?), as well as host any neat apps people code up over the weekend.
Does anyone have a machine they can bring along and sit in a corner to
do this?

For some ideas, links, etc:
http://wiki.railscamp.net/w/show/Equipment

Cheers

--
Pat

Thorben Schröder

Aug 6, 2008, 9:17:10 AM8/6/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pat,

thanks a lot for the whole organisation efforts your take on your shoulders! :)

Unfortunately we're coming from Germany and luggage is expensive those
days so I'm not able to bring a server with me, but if it is from any
interest I can bring in my Playstation 2 with two controllers and a
few games (no Guitar Hero :/ ). Do you have 230V in GB, too? And I
think I need some sort of adapter for that, at least your outlets look
very weird ;)

I'm really looking forward to the event! Hope to see you all soon,

Thorben

e...@edspencer.co.uk

Aug 6, 2008, 9:36:01 AM8/6/08
to Rails Camp UK
Hi Thorben,

I think we're 240V over here but whenever I've taken things over to
the continent they've been fine - it's those damn yanks and their
untrustworthy 120V you've got to watch out for! :p

You'll need a converter though - I believe most European plugs don't
have a Ground pin, whereas the UK does.

Cheers,

Ed

P.S. I don't have a spare machine - sorry

Pat Allan

Aug 6, 2008, 11:41:32 AM8/6/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thorben

I appreciate the offer of the Playstation - let's see if a local can
bring one along (anyone?), to save you lugging the extra weight along
- but otherwise, it'd be great if you could bring it.

Thanks

--
Pat

MrJaba

Aug 6, 2008, 11:50:46 AM8/6/08
to Rails Camp UK
I'll be happy to bring along my playstation2 plus guitar hero (2
guitars) along with a wii and mario kart (2 controllers), but I will
be leaving sunday night, quite late though.

Tom

Thorben Schröder

Aug 6, 2008, 11:52:55 AM8/6/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Great, sounds like I won some extra space & weight for books ;)

Thorben

MrJaba

Aug 6, 2008, 11:59:26 AM8/6/08
to Rails Camp UK
Ok, you can play if I can use the books! :-D

Tom

On Aug 6, 4:52 pm, "Thorben Schröder" <stillep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great, sounds like I won some extra space & weight for books ;)
>
> Thorben

Pat Allan

Aug 6, 2008, 12:11:48 PM8/6/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
That sounds great to me - thanks for that Tom.

--
Pat

Pat Allan

Aug 12, 2008, 7:37:26 AM8/12/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Still looking for a good solution for this... just to give a better
idea of what would suit - it doesn't need to be a fast machine, but
just something running a flavour of Linux that you can tweak the DNS
settings for (so rubygems should just work for everyone), with several
gb free of hard drive space. Anyone got a machine sitting around that
fits the bill?

Cheers

--
Pat

Ijonas Kisselbach

Aug 12, 2008, 8:32:03 AM8/12/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Would a Linux (eg. Ubuntu) inside a VM with an external hard disk do the trick ?

Matthew Westcott

Aug 12, 2008, 8:35:08 AM8/12/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Would a Mac Mini (1.5GHz Core Solo) fit the bill? Happy to bring mine
along for server-ish purposes if so. Bear in mind that I'm no expert
in the sysadmin side of things (and in particular, I've never tried
running a rubygems mirror...) so I may need some pointers re what
needs installing beforehand.

I presume OS X is UNIXy/hackable enough for whatever we want to do -
would prefer not to have to install Linux on it if possible (although
I'm open to any non-destructive approaches such as live CDs / VMs).

- Matt

Pat Allan

Aug 12, 2008, 8:44:06 AM8/12/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
I don't see why not... but not my area of expertise. If the VM is on the same network as everyone else, shouldn't be any problems.

--
Pat

Thorben Schröder

Aug 12, 2008, 8:47:34 AM8/12/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Though I think the dedicated Mac Mini would be cooler as it allows the
poor VM host owner to shutdown his PC whenever whe would like to do so
:)

Thorben

Adrien

Aug 13, 2008, 4:12:54 PM8/13/08
to Rails Camp UK
As I said in another thread, I'll bring along an AP with openwrt on it
and 2 usb ports. That should do the trick with an external hard
drive.

Adrien.

Pat Allan

Aug 13, 2008, 7:48:07 PM8/13/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Ah, nice. I've downloaded all the gems from Rubyforge, so would be
great to host them on a shared drive.

--
Pat

Pat Allan

Aug 14, 2008, 7:35:07 AM8/14/08
to railsc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt

If you could bring it along just in case, that'd be great. We might
skip the DNS setup, unless people are feeling adventurous on the day -
I've got all the gems from rubyforge on my machine though, so would be
good to shift them onto your mini (or an external hard drive tied to a
wireless router) so people aren't reliant on my laptop being awake.

Thanks

--
Pat