Question about Trinidad use for my use case

Nicholas Watson

Feb 20, 2013, 12:28:33 PM2/20/13
to rails-t...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to deploy multiple JRuby/Rails applications and am in the process of choosing a production environment (Tomcat/Warbler, Trinidad, TorqueBox). I would like to choose Trinidad, because the deployment is similar to how I would manage a traditional MRI app with Capistrano.

Currently we have two Rails applications and a single sign on solution using Central Authentication Service (CAS), which is built in Java. We'd like to deploy each to their own subdomain, for example security.mydomain.com, app1.mydomain.com and app2.mydomain.com. My questions are as follows:

Since Trinidad is underpinned by Tomcat, would it be possible to deploy the CAS war file using Trinidad?

Would we need to use an nginx proxy to host multiple pass requests to Trinidad/Tomcat?

Are there any examples where someone has deployed multiple applications, each accessible by their own domain?

If its possible, I'd be happy to document the setup process so that it could be shared with the community.

kares

Feb 22, 2013, 10:43:35 AM2/22/13
to rails-t...@googlegroups.com

 Hi Nicholas, yes it is similar there's even a great rails-cast on setting up Trinidad on the server.

Other than that I have some good news and bad news. I'll start with good - multiple domains should not be an issue - you can configure multiple hosts.
The bad news is "plain" .war files currently do not work - but I'm working on getting them working again - not sure when was the last time they did work.

There's also one other issue with multiple apps on the tracker I have not checked yet - an user reports Trinidad is not serving static assets correctly when multiple apps are deployed - thus this is yet again is a limitation for your setup (you'll need to setup apache/ngix).

I'm hoping to fix these for the next release which should be out next or the week after that.

If you feel like tracking the .war problem please feel free to open an issue - I shall close it once it's fixed on master ...

Anyways I'll report here for future reference in case someone lands here once it's working as expected ...

Have a great weekend, K.

kares

Mar 1, 2013, 7:58:04 AM3/1/13
to rails-t...@googlegroups.com