trinidad vs rails server trinidad

robin2

Jun 12, 2012, 5:04:50 PM6/12/12
to rails-t...@googlegroups.com
What's the difference between starting a Rails app with "trinidad" and starting it with "rails server trinidad"?

kares

Jun 14, 2012, 3:30:53 AM6/14/12
to rails-t...@googlegroups.com

The difference is starting the server with rack handler (rackup -s trinidad) instead of booting it standalone (e.g. no runtime polling is going to be available while using the rack handler). You might inspect what happens when 'rack/hanler/trinidad' is required and what if the trinidad binary is executed ...

K.

robin2

Jun 16, 2012, 6:22:02 AM6/16/12
to rails-t...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kares

When I start my app with rails s trinidad things seem to work faster (both startup and refreshing a page) compared to when I start the same app with "trinidad"

Why would the different startups affect the performance?

kares

Jun 27, 2012, 2:11:28 AM6/27/12
to rails-t...@googlegroups.com

It should not affect performance really that much ... of course it's observable for you when you boot things (since there's no 'additional' JRuby runtime boot to perform with `rackup`), but when things warm up it should be about the same (unless you run `trinidad` non threadsafe! with a pool - that might take longer to warm up and eat more memory + might handle less requests concurrently). If you do not need the Java/Rails integration bits that are setup with the standard ("non-rackup") way feel free to use `rackup -s trinidad`.

K.