Need an online payment system - suggestions required

Christian Fazzini

Sep 7, 2010, 4:04:16 AM9/7/10
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
Hello all,

We are about to launch our site. One of the features that is missing
at the moment is a way for users to fill in their credit card details
and click send to purchase our products that we offer on our website.

We are relatively new to this concept, so we do not know where to
start? I am guessing we have to open up a merchant account? Is this
the right term? Or Is it an "online gateway payment system"?

So far, I've come across the following: Braintree, PaySimple,
TrustCommerce, BeanStream, Shopify, Authorize.net

Ive also come across a plugin called ActiveMerchant, which, I assume
handles the interface to send data to whichever merchant account I end
up signing with. Is this correct?

What should I look for when considering one of the above services?
Fees? Processing fee per transaction? Monthly billings, etc?

Any additional information will be appreciated.

Mike Pence

Sep 7, 2010, 3:03:46 PM9/7/10
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
Implementing a payment processing system has its gotchas. If you search this site for discussions about it, you will see a lot of love for BrainTree (http://groups.google.com/group/rails-business/search?hl=en_US&group=rails-business&q=braintree&qt_g=Search+this+group) but they are not the only option.

You should contract with someone who has already been through it a few times.

Best,
Mike Pence
Hayduke Labs, LLC

Robert Dempsey

Sep 7, 2010, 3:11:16 PM9/7/10
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
Having been through it a few times I recommend going with Chargify and a merchant account. Setting up and handling your own billing system ala Active Merchant sucks.

Sincerely,

Robert Dempsey
Skype: robertwdempsey

Mike Pence

Sep 7, 2010, 3:14:07 PM9/7/10
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
True, we have had success with Chargify, but it sounds like the OP's needs are not for recurring subscriptions, but for one-off charges for products/services, which is not Chargify's sweet spot.

Robert Dempsey

Sep 7, 2010, 4:36:43 PM9/7/10
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
Very true. So with that, a glance at the code for http://spreecommerce.com/ might help.

- Rob

Wes Gamble

Sep 7, 2010, 6:51:35 PM9/7/10
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
Any experiences, good or bad, with Google Checkout?

Thanks,
Wes Gamble