OpenStreetMap.org & Ruby on Rails

ChessMess

Aug 10, 2009, 1:48:14 AM8/10/09
to Rails Activism
So I was listening to the latest release of Floss Weekly (fantastic
hearing DHH on it previously):

http://twit.tv/floss81

And they were detailing this amazing effort to map the world providing
user editable information, think Wikipedia for maps. Its really an
incredible effort and provides open map data whereas the map data you
commonly see on Google/Yahoo etc is proprietarily owned/licensed.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

In the podcast he talks about the site being powered by Ruby on Rails,
which brought a big smile to my face. I was thinking it would be a
great open source project that ROR developers could volunteer on.

Just wanted to pass on the info,

ChessMess